Super Soakers on TV - NBC morning news

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:06 am

About 10 minutes ago, my little brother (who knows I'm obssesed with soakers) called me up from my sleep to see water guns on the news. Sure enough, the hosts of the "Today Show" on NBC and a bunch of kids were playing with water guns and other water toys. Among them were the Triple Aggressor, the Helix, the Monster Rocket, the ShieldBlaster, and several water toys. The range of the TA was good and I liked the Helix's spray effect, but the ShieldBlaster didn't fare so well in my opinion. Perhaps a few more years of research will perfect the power of the crank pump.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Interesting... I'm going to check NBC's website to see if I can't find a clip.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:07 pm

Field Marshal Yang wrote:Perhaps a few more years of research will perfect the power of the crank pump.
IT would probably be better to have a crank powered soaker mounted on a tripod. That way you wouldn't have to support the gun with you're other hand while cranking, which must be uncomfortable.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:39 pm

One thing I should note: There weren't any Water Warriors soakers to be found, so I was somewhat dissapointed. As far as I know only the summer water toys from the largest toy companies (Hasbro, Mattel) were showcased. Perhaps next year Buzz Bee Toys will be more widely recognized.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:47 pm

I have no doubt in my mind that Hasbro and Mattel payed NBC to so this, after all they are huge companies, Buzz Bee Toys is a smaller company.
_

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:39 pm

TV advertisement would be a big help for Buzz Bee IMO. At least one commercial next year is all they need to get the word out.

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:36 pm

Yeah, I also saw that report on NBC, they launched a monster rocket between two apartments, I saw that the shield blaster wasn't really good, it could probably shoot only 5m. Well, the Bee's in Hong Kong and i'm going to China in August.
All charge to the battlegrounds of Hasbro!

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:59 pm

I don't think that Buzz Bee will be able to afford a commercial anytime soon. But I could be wrong. :;):

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:07 pm

I think that Buzz Bee can afford to put a commercial on the air but the popularity of the Water Warriors line isn't high enough for kids to instantly recognize them on the TV and urge their parents to go to store to buy one of them.

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:47 pm

Yeah.. there's a lot of #### shield squirters or whatever they're called on store shelves. I'm not sure whether to be depressed or not. It depends on whether the prevalence of the shield blasters is because everyone is leaving them in favor of the super soakers.

SilverFist

Post by SilverFist » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:54 pm

For a commercial on TV to work, you need to replay that commercial over and over till the audience could memorized what happens in the commercial. That means spending lots and lots of money and Buzz Bee Toys isn't as big as Hasbros.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:42 am

I think next year or the year after when Buzz Bee has more money, they'll make some commercials. Buzz Bee is just a baby company and I don't think it has enough money to create commercials yet. Once it does, Hasbro will have more competition and we might get some better guns.

Edited By NiborDude on 1089351865
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:07 am

SilverFist wrote:For a commercial on TV to work, you need to replay that commercial over and over till the audience could memorized what happens in the commercial. That means spending lots and lots of money and Buzz Bee Toys isn't as big as Hasbros.
Instead of airing a series of commercials, Buzz Bee could have a single uber-commericial during a prime marketing time in the way many companies have a commercial during the Super Bowl. Any suggestions about when a single uber-commercial could be aired effectively?

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:53 am

Yang, that might not happen, probably he's gonna wait a few more months to get more money(somehow) and might afford the price for a 30second commercial or something...

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:02 pm

He meant likethe commercials at the Super Bowl. He can air it anytime he wants. :crazy:

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:15 pm

Oh, well, thats a different story, but I think he should get a commercial when the little kids cartoons are having a break, they can show Buzz Bee Toys.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:26 pm

Saturday morning cartoons are prime time for water recreation commercials and I suggest that Buzz Bee Toys buy one entire commercial break's worth of time (about three minutes). This comemrcial will basically be a preview of the entire Water Warriors line, with fast a movie trailer style pace to keep the excitement going for the kids.

CPS

Post by CPS » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:56 pm

we don't have NBC in australia :( could somebody tell me the list of channels in america so i can do some research on ad prices?

Edited By CPS on 1089424661
here, you know you've won when you hear "blub blub ahhh! i give up"

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:04 pm

As I am in Australia too, CPS, I know how you feel. I'd like to see more Soaker commercials in Australia, as the only ones I remember are the Splashzooka and SC 600 commercials.

CPS

Post by CPS » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:08 pm

what about that list?
here, you know you've won when you hear "blub blub ahhh! i give up"