What gender are teams?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.

What gender are teams?

She
11%
He
11%
It
39%
Indescriminate Gender (they in a singular sense)
17%
Other ?
22%

Total votes: 18

Belisaurius
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Belisaurius » Sun May 01, 2005 9:17 am

You know how every ship except the Bismark was a she? And how nations are called motherlands or fatherlands? Lady Liberty and Mother Russia and all that? Well, what gender are water war teams?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 01, 2005 9:21 am

This is one strange poll, IMO. :goofy:

I'll leave it open for now, but if it degrades, depending on why, it may be closed. At any rate, aren't team name genders typically neutral unless specified? (most sports teams are of some place, thing, animal, but some have more gender-specific names)

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 01, 2005 10:01 am

The Ridgewood Militia is an "it," I think most teams reflect place names or nouns refering to water or soldiers. This is interesting, I never thought about what gender a team is. @Beli, don't forget Mother earth and Father time. :cool:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun May 01, 2005 11:08 am

I voted other. I've discussed my team in both a plural (they) sense, and a singular (it) sense.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Sun May 01, 2005 11:22 am

I know this is a little out there. I had never thought of it either and then a few days ago I started wondering. So I figured since the rest of my posting has been productive, I could do one somewhat messed post. :p

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Well, the closest I can get to answering the question is to say that in Latin, "team" is considered masculine. I guess that is not exactly what you meant, but I'm not sure how else the question could be answered.
ownage

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Mon May 02, 2005 9:26 am

I voted for they, but when I am on a team I prefer "we" :;):
ImageImage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 am

emperor_james wrote:Well, the closest I can get to answering the question is to say that in Latin, "team" is considered masculine. I guess that is not exactly what you meant, but I'm not sure how else the question could be answered.
Latin! Woohoo! ...and some say it's a dead language. :goofy:

Interestingly, team (équipe) in french is feminine.

:cool:

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon May 02, 2005 10:36 am

Hey Belisaurius, you know your name is used on a Class-Demois corvette in Freespace 2? Thought you'd like to know.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Mon May 02, 2005 10:54 am

Hey Belisaurius, you know your name is used on a Class-Demois corvette in Freespace 2? Thought you'd like to know.

You could have at least voted XP20Warrior, as well as offer an opinion :;): .
ImageImage

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon May 02, 2005 11:19 am

I did vote. With a team, I like to think as it. But if its a fleet, I always think of a vehicle, aircraft, or starship as a she.
Don't fail on me now, old girl

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Episode "42"
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 02, 2005 12:37 pm

Uh... why's it matter? I'm sick of politicaly correctness anyway. I say it doesn't matter as long as you soak.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon May 02, 2005 12:50 pm

^ not sure it really matters, but perhaps Belisaurius' curious from a writing standpoint. Instead of saying team or the team's name all the time, using he/she/it might make for smoother reading. Granted, I still found this question a little weird. :goofy:

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Mon May 02, 2005 2:44 pm

I know this is a strange poll... :p ... but like Isoaker said I was curious from a writing standing point and I was wondering what pronoun people use. I usually use it, or they as a singular (even though that isn't good grammer) and so forth... Some kind of genderless pronoun. And I was reflecting on how being sensitive about using genders in sentances and so forth plays into the wider world of literature and writing people our age consider.

Additionally, Belisaurius was a byzantine general who reconquered most of Italy and modern Tunisia for Emperor Justinian. So if my name is somewhere else, they took it for the original guy.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon May 02, 2005 5:39 pm

When I talk about our group I usually just say the name, or I use, "we."
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 02, 2005 6:40 pm

Belisaurius wrote:Additionally, Belisaurius was a byzantine general who reconquered most of Italy and modern Tunisia for Emperor Justinian. So if my name is somewhere else, they took it for the original guy.
Oh... I always thought that it sounded like a Dinosaur.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 02, 2005 6:43 pm

He once had a signature on the old Waterbridge forum which read: "I am the Belisaur, hear me roar!" It of course was a joke, as at that time we knew who Belisaurius the general was. :laugh:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Tue May 03, 2005 9:06 am

Well, okay for the general. But its funny to think that who doesn't know that he's a general, someone comes here and then goes to play Freespace 2 and comes yelling back, "Hey, you're in Freespace 2!"

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid

Triforce Elite

Post by Triforce Elite » Wed May 04, 2005 4:17 am

i sorta care if its boys or girls cause it depends what they can carry and stuff, doent really matter if... theyre a boy or a girl just their skillz lol:;):
you know those really annoying people? don't you just feel like soaking them?:cps1500:

Triforce Elite

Post by Triforce Elite » Wed May 04, 2005 4:19 am

i wouldnt really mind having some girls on my team...after all the more the merrier! lol.:;):
you know those really annoying people? don't you just feel like soaking them?:cps1500: