Need a good compact

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Magnj

Post by Magnj » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:13 pm

Our School has an UN official Senior water gun battle, every year. Prize is close to 1K$. I have some old Air powered super soaker form 1997, that should be ok for ambushes but i need a good compact to use while in the car and while walking out of work.

Any suggestions?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Try homemade water guns if you're looking for the absolute best you can get. My site has several designs available, and there are others with designs as well. Check out link sections for other designs.

hunter

Post by hunter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:34 pm

hmm...a good compact, try the '05 devastator or flash flood, but if you want a truly exceptional gun, try on ebay for a CPS 1700/2500. Or try a homeamde like doom suggested.
Stealth over speed. Accuracy over firepower. Coordination over chaos.

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

"I have the two greatest weapons: time and patience."

Magnj

Post by Magnj » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:47 pm

thanks BTW, its an XP70 I have

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 pm

Doom sure doesn't waste time advertising. :goofy:

At any rate, just depends on what you define as compact. The Flash Flood is great for its size as is the Water Warriors Piranha/Lightning. However, if you consider those too large, the Triple Shot packs a good punch for its small size (but has limited capacity).

Oh, and welcome to the iSoaker.com Forums! :)

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:11 am

^ I wasn't advertising. My single chamber APH is an excellent compact and I'd highly recommend it to anyone (along with all other homemade water weaponry). When you have the power of a CPS 2000 in a CPS 1000 sized package, I'd recommend your water gun.

No one says every time someone suggests a Super Soaker that they don't waste advertising for Hasbro.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:00 am

Funny thing is I'm actually having a tough time finding the single chamber APH instruction page. I can find the dual-chamber one unless you're referring to the hose-requiring one. If you're referring to the dual-chamber one, but suggesting that it can me made with only 1 PC instead, it just doesn't strike me as compact unless a bunch of tubing layouts are re-arranged.

Oh, and the statement "Try homemade water guns if you're looking for the absolute best you can get" is true only if one is good at building things. There are those who have strengths in other things but not necesarily building homemade soakers.

As for the advertising comment, it IS advertising. Whenever members give product recommendations, it is a word-of-mouth advertisement for a particular company. In terms of recommending a site to go to, it is advertising a site. Your signature text and my alias are both forms of site advertising. There's nothing wrong with advertising things you believe in. Advertising can become annoying if and only if it is done 'in your face' and/or is false about its claims.

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with site advertising. I am just uncertain about recommending home made soakers since they are more involved to get more final product than it is to go to a store and pick up a stock soaker.

I'll agree many homemade soakers can outperform stock ones. However, to a newer member, I suppose I'm a little more conservative and would first recommend stock soakers, then perhaps ways to improve them, followed by recommending homemades if they find the stock soakers are not performing the way they want from a soaker. I think of soakers like computers. Pre-built ones perform adequately, but you can make a better one if you custom build your own PC. Of course, to build one requires both time, tools, and a little more knowledge than just buying one. Just depends how much a particular trait means to you: performance vs cost vs time/energy to get results.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:20 pm

I don't understand how someone who can not remove a single chamber from the two chamber design. Do I have to write an entire guide for every design I make when only small changes exist? That's just plain silly!

My single chamber APH is only about an inch or two longer than my CPS 1000 and far more compact in that it uses it's space efficiently. That's compact to me, which again, is opinion. I also personally feel that the pressure chamber is far too small for the output, but that is opinion as well.

It was just a recommendation... I didn't mean for anything to start (I don't want to say an "argument" because it's barely anything). If he builds one is up to him, remember that. Same goes with if he buys those recommended Flash Floods and Piranhas.

I feel my suggestion was just as important as any other. However, it is your forum and if you don't think I should recommend homemades to newer members, that's your choice. The choice to make homemades is in Magnj's hands and I feel he should be the one to make it.

If you don't like someone's suggestion, don't use it! Simple as that.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:49 pm

@ Doom: you can go ahead and recommend that which you want to as will I. I do not think it is uncalled for, per se, to recommend building homemades. If I thought it were, I would have deleted such a post as opposed to commenting on it. However, I just found it rather surprising to see it being recommended to someone who has just come to the forums that the group knows little about in terms of experience, capabilities, etc. I consider it akin to recommending to everyone who wants to buy a computer to build their own since they can get more bang for their buck. It is true that homemades have the possibility of being far superior to the average stock store-bought soaker. No questions about that. But they are also more involved to create. Of course, Magnj can choose from the options presented, no doubt. He *IS* the one and the only one who will decide which direction he will choose.

My comment on advertising was intended more jokingly (there was a :goofy: put beside it) and partly since I found it ironic after reading other statements made on other forums, but now I'm digressing.

As I noted in my other post, I've no objection to your suggestion and am very glad you have some good plans and designs on your site. Regarding the single-chamber APH, I was looking for a more compact version of the APH design as I still don't consider the APH's design particularly compact, especially when you factor in it lacks a reservoir in all the diagrams. I had hoped that perhaps you came up for a smaller, slicker tubing-network than the one I had seen in the past. Guess that was too presumptuous of me.