Water Warriors Aqua Pak/Hydra Pak - ^

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Water Warriors Aqua Pak/Hydra Pak - ^

Post by isoaker » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:18 pm

Well, just unwrapped and did some initial tests with the Water Warriors Aqua Pak/Hydra Pak. Ok, the box says Hydra Pak, but based on the Buzz Bee Toys website, it appears the name of this soaker is being changed to avoid confusion with the Super Soaker Aquapack Devastator. Guess some boxes were shipped before the name change.

At any rate, I had a few surprises, both good and bad, when testing out the blaster. First, when taking pics, I peeked inside the backpack reservoir and noticed a small black rubber thing on the inside. Well, not that small, but it seemed maybe like some sort of float at first (silly me :goofy:). Looking longer, I noticed a second one being obscured by the pump shafts that run down the center of the reservoir. The Hydra Pak is based on Hydro Power (though these things really look like CPS chambers to me). I had previously assumed it was air-pressure based and feared bad performance. To verify, I loaded up the reservoir and gave a few pumped, watching as these black rubber bladders expanded. Sweet!

The bad surprise... well, good and bad I suppose. The base of the reservoir where the hose is attached is actually removable. Good for cleaning; bad if one hadn't checked before filling half way with water. Thank gosh I do filling with towels nearby. Tightening it, all is good.

The Hydra Pak has 4 nozzles: 3 stream settings and 1 fan setting. The best nozzle, IMO, is the mid-sized one. It seemed to have the best power and feel. The large nozzle size felt a little weak while the small nozzle is, well, small.

I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the full review to come eventually. I need to do a bunch of stats measurements first. The feel of this blaster reminds me of the SC: Big Trouble, but doesn't require a hose to pressurize. Power is decent, similar (though perhaps a touch weaker) to the Aquapack Devastator. However, the pressurized chamber is MUCH larger and it has multiple nozzle settings. Of course, the hard backpack isn't as comfortable as a fabric one, but it does hold more water as well.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:09 pm

Hm... a pressurized resirvoir blaster with CPS technology. Keep up the innovations, Big Bee! :)
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:11 pm

Less powerful than the devastator? Damn, the devastator is good, but I had hoped still for something better. Although, I guess with multiple nozzles it will be just as useful. Also if you pre pressurize it a lot it should be pretty good, like the Blazer. I'll probably get it as I love backpack guns.

edit:OKay, I really don't understand how this backpack pressureizer thingy works. ???

Edited By emperor_james on 1113088620
ownage

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:13 am

Cool! I want one. It sounds good, and at least all the nozzles aren't small! Its good to hear how it uses Hydro Power. The backpack shape kind of reminds you about an SC Big Trouble. Awww I can't wait until they come out over here in the UK. :) It seems that no stores on the internet sell them either so I guess I will just have to wait. :blazer:

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:57 pm

vaporizer wrote:Hm... a pressurized resirvoir blaster with CPS technology. Keep up the innovations, Big Bee! :)
Really using your brain, there. Sorry.

Having read what Isoaker said, it's obvious that this baby is not any hybrid PR/CPS thing, it is just plain Hydro Power. A pump on the backpack pushes water into a Hydro Power PC. Simple.
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:02 pm

I like the look of this thing. Assuming that handle on the top is the pump, do you have to pump it before you put the backpack on? Or is there some way you can pump it while you're wearing it? Still, I will definitely get one if I see it. Can't wait for the review!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:13 pm

You need to pump it up before putting the backpack on (unless you can somehow reach up and over your head and shoulder in a really awkward way and push down with a good amount of force). The way it appears designed is pretty much fill, pump it up, and go and soak. The next time you'd have to pump is when you need to refill. I need to verify this as I've never fully filled the reservoir, then attempted to pump it all into the pressure chambers. There may be a little unpressurized water remaining, but not much as far as I can guess.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:19 pm

I'm very interested in seeing the power ratings for this gun. It sounds good by what's been said so far.
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Wouldn't the water having to flow through all that tubing from the backpack to the actual nozzle kill the laminar flow? I guess its range won't be too good then.
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:31 pm

Range I'm guestimating at 30-35' for the middle-size nozzle. The large one is less. As for laminar flow, it can be corrected if there is a laminar flow restrictor in the blaster/nozzle part of the soaker.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:40 pm

Update: Just some quick stats.

Reservoir Volume: 6100mL
Pump Volume: ~145mL
Firing Chamber Volume: ~4500mL

Output on mid-size stream: 96 mL/sec
Shot time est. ~45 seconds continuous fire with some tapering at the 40 second mark

See tentative full Hydra Pak review here.

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:01 am

170 seconds on the smallest nozzle! Wow, that looks like it would make a good backup gun.

Slight spelling mistake:
"While not difficult, pumping does take some effort, especially as the internal bladders each their maximum capacity."
Should be reach not each. :cool:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:50 am

^ that what happens when I push up a review before proof-reading it well. :goofy:

snipergirl

Post by snipergirl » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:54 am

good review Isoaker :)

Edited By snipergirl on 1113227697
Words may hurt me and scar my heart, my life may be torn and falling apart; My silence says more than your closed door, do as you wish-I WILL even this score.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:02 am

Looking good Isoaker :)

you made a few errors though, Where it says CPS Series you forgot to put a space in between CPS and Series also you made a spelling mistake
While not difficult, pumping does take some effort, especially as the internal bladders each their maximum capacity.
each should be reach :;):

Looking forward to the Triple Shot Review!

:soakon:
ImageImage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:24 am

^ Thanks for the heads-up! Forceuser already noted the typo, though. :goofy:

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 am

Nice review. I really want a Hydra/Aqua Pak now. Pity it is not out here in the UK yet. ???

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:20 pm

Where did you get the hydra pack and how much did it cost? :oo:
AXE BOMB!!!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:34 pm

I got the Hydra Pak from Walmart for $19.97 Cdn + tax.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:40 pm

Four and a half liter firing chamber. I know a couple (dozon) people who may want one (or two) of these.