Underrated water guns

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Underrated water guns

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 pm

We have our legends and our weaklings and everything in between is usually forgotten but sometimes these are still killer guns in spite of their only average stats. Here are some of my favorites

CPS 2700
while only average on power for a top level primary the 2700 usualy proves the cheapest way to buy that kind of firepower and can go hours between refills even in an intense battle.

Monster/4100
While it is a top level primary the 4100 is mostly forgotten despite being a solid performer against any other gun with it’s respectable power, great nozzle choices, and lower weight than any other gun in its class save the Power Pak Also the Monster rocks one of the best color schemes ever to be used on a water gun.

Power Pak
What’s the only thing more terrifying than a CPS cannon in a Soakfest? A CPS cannon that never needs to be pumped. saturator is hands down the most amazing thing about this weapon as it envelopes the victim in a watery cloud that does more damage than a 2000 at close range.

Those are some of my choices what are yours?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Underrated water guns

Post by SEAL » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 am

I don't think the 2700 is that underrated. It does it's job very well, and I'd actually prefer it over the 3000 and 3200 for more maneuverability. The only meaningful downside is the fragile pump. Not a lot of people use it, but I'm guessing that's more because it's heavy and not suited to everyone's style, rather than it being underrated.

I actually put the Monster/4100 in the medium category, meaning it's main competition is the 1000/1200/2100 trio. Remember that the classes are grouped by power, not size. In fact, the Monster XL is also considered a medium primary! Given that, it's understandable that the 4100 isn't the most desirable weapon. The 1200 can basically do the same thing while being smaller and lighter. I do think more people would use 4100s, but not many enthusiasts have them.

The Power Pak, again, is a case of not many people actually owning them. Everybody knows that they're beastly, but they aren't very common on the field, and the big issue of needing a hose to fill them will likely keep it that way unless someone makes a field-filler (which I have wanted to do).

My picks...hmm, it's rather tough to say, because I feel like we have a pretty good handle on what's hot and what's not. I've said the MD 4000 was underrated in the past, but nobody really uses pistols anyway, so that's kind of a moot point. The Speed Loaders are quite capable, but they're rare and need a hose as well. The Pulse Master never gets talked about; I've never actually seen one in use so I'm unsure, but it is large and powerful. The Charger also kind of disappeared off the face of the earth, even though it seems like a good light primary or even a backup. I could go on, but usually if a blaster is underrated it's just because not enough people have brought them into combat.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:39 pm

I would argue that the 4100 is a heavy primary mostly because the power of it’s largest 8.5x setting. It has the best range 43’ of all its nozzles and output only a hair behind the 1500 11.9 vs 11.3. Also just removing the typhoon (not all that useful) reveals a massive 9.1mm stream that outpowers both of my 2500’s on 20x.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

DX

Post by DX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 am

I don't think 2700s are underrated so much as just not a first preference for most. 2700s have the output, range, and capacity to hang with pretty much every heavy soaker. It's one of the best skirmishing/defensive options there is. But, a lot of people prefer the aesthetics and handling of the 1500/1700 or 2000/2500 or 3000/3200.

When I did the duelfest matchups with Ben, we found that a 4100 is on par with Gorgons and 1000s. That's solidly medium primary performance. The main problem I have with 4100s is the amount of pumping needed to drive its offerings. Even little 150s can overwhelm a 4100 by relentlessly spamming shots while pressing forward. I regret not getting to try 4100 vs 1200. While 1000s have a bit more range and output than most 1200s, a 1200 has more capacity and 1:1 pumping:tapping ratios. Get an mk1 and it makes up the gap in range and output. You can use a 1200 like a much stronger 150 and punish anything that is susceptible to high intensity pushing attacks. Despite seeming similar, how you can fight with a 1200 is quite different than with a 1000. 4100s should hold their own under normal conditions, but in a man to man situation where water conservation isn't important, the 4100 should fold to a pushing attack. I wouldn't want to be the one holding the 4100...

I'm not sure that I agree with Power Paks being underrated, either. They have 3 main drawbacks - it takes a while to fill them, the chambers usually don't fill evenly, and range tends to be poor. There is such a thing as a stream that is too laminar. Shoot a Power Pak and you'll see that kind of stream. It's really not a blaster I'd want to use competitively.

One of my picks would be the Outlaw/Equalizer. The grip is small, ergonomics awkward, not many people like it. But, it gets fantastic range and its meager-looking capacity lasts longer than expected. It gets some of the highest ranges of any light primary if you use it with the proper technique of the blaster held way above your head, punching your arm forward as you shoot it. When the water runs low, you can slightly down-angle it from that position to better utilize that water. It does struggle to defend when used this way, so you need to constantly move and attack.

When we used pistols at Long Beach West, the Liquidator turned out to be a really great pistol with high range. Who would have thought?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers