Soakemore 2016

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Soakemore 2016

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:49 pm

The war is on!
Well I've managed to get my act together ahead of time this year, so hopeful this will be the best Soakemore ever! Still quite a bit to do to get ready for it, but none of it should take too long.

Date: Friday May 20th to Monday May 23

Locations:
Sycamore island (main battlefield Saturday) Directions
The Labyrinth (night wars)
Carderock (main battlefield Sunday, unless a better one can be found)

Attendance list: 13 confirmed
---WW.net
*Scott
*CA99
*Duxburian
*SEAL
*Marauder
*Ben
*Chives
*Snoop
*Chief
*Chupacabra
*TIffany
---Local targets, I mean talent:
*Gordan
*Kit (day on Saturday only)
*Marc (Part of Saturday night only)
*Bela (Maybe Saturday night)

What to bring:
*Casual cloths, toothbrush, bug spray, other obvious things
*Proper battling cloths: something that will let you run through underbrush, and dark, non-camo cloths for night wars
*At least one light primary, one medium blaster, and one anything goes gun
*Spare Glasses, especially if you need them to drive
*spare car keys (I'm not always going to be lucky enough to find them for you guys)
*Water Bottles/things to carry them in

Schedule:
---Friday:
People show up whenever, possible battles at the island
*9:00pm --- Go to the Labyrinth
*OHS opening round
*Hostages
*FFA OHS
*Blob Round
*11:30pm --- Last round ends, everything always takes longer then expected, so this way we will have an hour and a half to get to bed and still have 8 hours of sleep.

---Saturday: bring light gun, medium gun, and anything goes gun
*10:00am --- everyone must get up
*11:00am --- Go to Sycamore island
*OHK Island opener (Marauder, Scott, Chief, Ben, Tiff, Danny vs Duxburian, SEAL, CA99, David, Van, Kit, Gordan)
*Mixed blaster Round (1 hour), each team gets one heavy, two mediums, and then light guns (Marauder, Duxburian, CA99, Tiff, Danny, David vs Scott, SEAL, Chief, Van, Gordan, Ben, Kit)
*Multi flag OHS (1.5 hours), flags worth 4 points, hits worth 1
---Lunch
*Long OHS (2 hours)
*two team VIP, everyone has unlimited lived and light guns, except the VIPs, who have one life but anything goes
*3 team OHK (light guns)
*One flag CTF beach landings (weather permitting, 11 people minimum required)
*6:00pm --- Go home, rest up, eat dinner, and get ready for night wars!

*8:30pm --- Go to the labyrinth (Sunset is at 8:20pm)
*OHS
*Noobs and vets OHS round (even teams, but vets get light guns)
*Unbalanced round: Scott and noobs get wrecked by WW.net! (10 minutes just using the water left after the last round)
*Defend the VIP
*FFA OHS
*Blob Round
*3 team OHS
*destroy the objective(s)
*zombie round
*Other rounds
*?:??am --- go home and pass out

---Sunday:
Schedule pending
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Sat May 21, 2016 12:11 am, edited 12 times in total.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SSCBen

Re: Soakemore 2016

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this, Scott.

I'm currently planning out visiting my parents, grandparents, and one of my brothers this summer, so let us know once the date is locked down.

Looking forward to the war!

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks for posting this.

I really want to go to Soakermore. The last weekend of May is the weekend Tony/Danny are moving down. The first weekend of June I have drill for the Army, so I'll be in Charleston, SC. The second weekend of June I have multiple birthdays in my immediate family.

So, the second to the last weekend is really the best option for me. I'll probably be staying with my aunt and uncle in Clinton if we end up having it that weekend, since I won't be able to see them the first wekend of June.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:23 am

I marked every weekend on the list, but the best time for me would probably be sometime in May. There's a nerf war (from the Yolostock group in PA) being scheduled and I'm trying to stack it a week before or after this one, so I can take a 1 week vacation. I lose out on a week of work (or have to work remotely for a few days lol), but it saves a lot of driving fatigue. I'm really sick of driving back and forth for only 2 days of gameplay, so it'd be nice to have this go for a week.

Of course, Soakemore takes precedence over the nerf events. Sycamore Island and dem portables! I will update this as we go.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Snoop Doggy Doge

Post by Snoop Doggy Doge » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:31 pm

May 21-22 would probably be optimal. Either way, I need a ride down there and I sure as hell prefer Sam. I know there is a war May 1st, and we can have wars stacked. Maybe keep Sam over here for 2 weeks, lol.

I however do have school and that needs to be taken into consideratio, heavily. I could really only do the weekend, it'd be great if someone picked me up, I'd leave clothes and stuff at school and switch out all my crap, leaving textbooks and schoolwork at school and go to Newark so someone would drive me to Soakamore, and than someone gets me back.
Last edited by Snoop Doggy Doge on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:48 am

When are some Nerf events around the proposed times? I saw NENO on May 1st at NerfHaven. What else is there? Can you link to the Yolostock group (or whatever there is), HBWW? We definitely do not want to conflict with these.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:14 pm

So, it is looking like May 21-22 is the best weekend for us. I didn't mark that Monday as available - it is, I just need to be back by 6 PM for Planning and Zoning. Yolostock (https://www.facebook.com/groups/nerfnerds/) is coalescing around May 14th or 21st-22nd at the moment, so if we switch our votes to May 14th (for the Nerf war), that will be in the lead, and we'd be able to attend both events if May 14th gets chosen.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 pm

My sister graduates the weekend of May 15th.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Snoop Doggy Doge

Post by Snoop Doggy Doge » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Fuck lol, put on wrong dates. Yea I'm down for 21-22 May, that's probably the best. I'll need a ride there, and a ride back. I'd like to not skip school monday, but it can be done.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks for pointing out the Nerf event, Duxburian.

There has been a change of plans, so I'll be available a little later now too. I updated the Doodle. I also might be available sooner too, but I won't know until later this month.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:57 am

In case it confusing, I didn't mean switch our votes to the 14th for Soakemore, that was intended for Yolostock. The way the polls are shaping up, 14th would be best for Yolostock and 21st-22nd would be best for Soakemore. It may have been confusing since "our" applies to both events due to how many of us play both.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm

I think I'll be free most weekends. Nothing is certain though 'cause things tend to pop up unexpectedly. I will try to attend, as the portable labyrinth at night is my favorite location so far, and it's looking like this might be the last chance to fight there. Just as long as I have money (I'm down to the sock drawer reserves at the moment) and the horse doesn't break down. I don't have much in terms of armament either, but that shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Anyone else down for an all-night banger at the labyrinth? I don't even care if it means sacrificing daytime fighting. Sycamore Island is dope but there's only so much you can do there. Also, the heat might waste people. I was tabling the other day in the sun for a couple hours and got scorched. It was only like 70 too.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:11 pm

My dad is going to email the guy in charge of scheduling large parties at the island to see if the 21 of May is available. Hopefully it is, as it seams that is the date that works best for everyone. I am planning on exploring some other areas this weekend to get us some backup locations, so depending on what I find, if the island is not available, we might still be able to have it that weekend so that Marauder can experience the labyrinth.

Oh yeah and after about an hour of googling things, I found some articles about portable classrooms in my area. The first one even has a listing of how many are in use and by what schools, haven't really had time to go through it all, but I will post it here in case others have time before I do:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... story.html

Map:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/investigat ... 18931.html
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Fri May 20, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:49 pm

SEAL, I'm not interested in an all-nighter (way too much stuff I need to do during the day), but let's see what others have to say. It sounds nice if we get a critical mass of people.

Scott, great idea about looking for articles about portables. I know some parents really dislike them, so their loss can be our gain!

I checked out the top 5 schools with most portables on Google Maps. Spark M. Matsunaga Elementary School looks like they placed the portables in front of the school, and they seem to be right next to each other, both of which are no good. Can't spot any portables for Clarksburg High School. You can see a bunch of them behind Rocky Hill Middle School nearby. The photo Google Maps has for Rachel Carson Elementary School looks pretty good. Lucy V. Barnsley Elementary School has a decent number of portables.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm ok for an all night war - preferrably if it starts earlier on Friday than nightfall. I may not be able to fight much on Sunday anyway.

And sorry to hijack the thread, but I think DC metro area has a huge issue with sprawl and not being able to handle the growth. The whole portable issue (they aren't permanent) reminded me of that. But like Ben said, their loss is our gain.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:39 pm

My dad thinks that they might keep the portables there longer in case they are needed for the next school that moves in, but I'd obviously rather not chance it as none of the other schools look quite as good. As for an all night war at the portables, I'd rather not. For one I know I would not be able to fight the next day without any sleep, the other factor is going to be water. Last year we went from about 10pm-2:30am, and that includes waiting for rain to stop and food breaks, and we were completely out of water by the end of it. Depending on the weather and/or how interesting the non-island locations I find are, I'd be willing to go until maybe 3am, but we would have to pack more water and make sure we update the schedule this time!

I will make a schedule sometime this weekend after I do some scouting. If none of the locations are good, then we can probably do a long night war Saturday, as the current Sunday location, Carderock, gets old after a few hours anyway. I also plan on making a second schedule, with a very large focus on night wars, that I will upload a few days before if the weather looks bad.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:31 pm

The point of the all-night idea was that we'd be trading fighting time in the day for fighting time at night. I'm sure you'd all agree that the night battleground is better than the daytime ones. You do raise a good point about water, though we could work around that with enough preparation. But whether we end it at 2AM or 6AM, we definitely need to get there as early as possible; just as it gets dark. This should theoretically be much easier than getting to a battlefield early in the morning.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:22 am

I'm with SEAL in that I want to fight all night, but I also 100% understand what Scott is saying, and most people do need to recharge or else they would be completely wiped out for the entire weekend. Could we start fighting around 7 and say, go to 3? That might be a good compromise.

I still plan on having an all night war for MOAB. But I don't know if that will be this fall or next spring.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 pm

If I took a long nap during the day before hand, I could probably go all night, the trouble is Friday I would be busy making last minute preparations, and would have trouble getting my local friends to do it, and Saturday we will be at the island. Like I have said though, if none of the locations I find this weekend look amazing, we could probably sacrifice the day Sunday for a long night war Saturday night. I still haven't heard back from the island whether that weekend is available yet, so if it isn't, we could still plan the war for that weekend, do some light fighting/napping/just hanging out during the day, and shift the whole focus of the war to night battles. Then we could try again late summer/early fall for the island war, which would be nice in some ways as the underbrush is a lot easier to hide in then.

I wouldn't really have a problem with this, we just need to update the thread and let everyone know ahead of time, as the host, I messed up pretty big in that regard last year, and I'd rather not leave anyone hanging this time.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Northern VA is also worth looking at for potential sites. Montgomery County has 400something portables in use, but Fairfax County has over 1,000! Overcrowding at schools is a foreign concept to me, enrollment has been dropping here for the past decade or so and schools are closing / being consolidated. Easton's schools are only 1/3rd occupied! That said, we also tend to build taller schools with more floors, due to lack of space. The sprawling, single floor schools I see in the mid-atlantic look big, but actually have far less capacity and efficiency than a 4 floor box design, so that may be part of it.

I will be trying a new route to DC that will take even longer than it already takes, but keeps me out of the mountains and should be easier on my mental health. Arrival before dark on Friday night is not guaranteed. While I'd be up for an all night war, I also need enough sleep before Mon morning to drive home without a repeat of PSU. I need to get to Easton by 6 to cover Planning and Zoning, and can't just wait for sunset if there's a problem.