MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by marauder » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Proposal: we begin the war on the evening of Friday April 1st.

Rob, Brandon, Keith, David, Van make a landing an hr before sunset and have to make their way to 1 of 3 flags to set up a base (tents, etc.). They can only bring in what they can carry on that one drop off. Tiffany will drop you off.

Ben H, Sam, Scott, Tony, & Danny defend and try to harass the attackers.

1 hit scores, 24 hour fighting.

I am also open to doing some more objective rounds or giving teams planning time if people want to get here before Friday evening.

Also I'm opening to fighting over the weekend of Sat March 19th and 20th if we can get enough people - e.g. myself and Ben Trettel plus??? Andrew Trettel? Scott? I'm willing to possibly meet up half way to MD - say around Richmond so long as we he have 6 people who are interested in fighting.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Hosting a second war closer to Maryland would be nice, but it actually wouldn't make things easier for me because I live in Texas right now. I could visit my parents, but I don't have a car and couldn't really drive down to Virginia or wherever to join you all. I doubt my brother could attend even if it's during his break, because he lives in LA right now and money is very tight for him. Plan the best war you can and don't worry too much if I can't make it.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Not sure if Van will be joining us, but if he does, he's definitely going to be on the same team as Rob and I, lol.

Update: I finally had a much needed look at the calendar again.

I have a good time block on the Good Friday/Easter weekend, where I get a Friday and Monday off. (I updated Doodle to reflect this.) However, there's a nerf event I'm trying to get scheduled into the same time block which will likely get priority since it's a much more efficient use of my time. The only way around this is to have a MOAB game day on Sunday, otherwise I have a given day off work that'll be wasted.

Will get the nerf event scheduled out and update accordingly.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:20 pm

I have decided to add 1 weekends earlier in Mar and 2 weekends later in April/May.

March 24-26 has the greatest attendance possibility at 6 on Sat, 5 on Fri, and only 3 Thurs. Sun is Easter.

Apr 1-3 gives us 5 on Sat, but 4 on Sun, and 3 on Fri. Additionally, Van cannot make Fri, and assuming Rob is his ride, that drops Rob from Fri, giving us 2, 5, 3.

Attendance will be higher. Scott, David, Tony, Danny, etc. still don't have definite dates. Tony-Danny's spring break is the end of Apr. Since travel from Conn is essentially an entire day, they would have to take 2 days off for travel. Their mom hasn't decided yet on when they can come.

I have a number of friends who are possibilities. The issue is that they are all... flaky. Several of my friends have incredible tracking skills, stealth, etc. beyond me, but are also not very dependable for attendance. One of these friends said he was definitely in, but he also canceled on me twice for hanging out recently, so I take that with a grain of salt. My brother is as good as I am, but he has a baby now, so he said he would have to see when the time comes. My friends who are more likely to make it are the ones you have met before, who are less skilled, and also may be less likely to come due to the venue.

The venue poses a problem in that you have to be there at the start date. You can't just show up part of the way through, park somewhere and wander across the road in full camo.

This is a problem in that attendance seems to vary from day to day. We will need to start at a time when most people are there. If anyone comes late they need to be dropped off and they need to run in quickly.

So, if we do a hardcore OHS camp out war at this venue, attendance may be lower. Which may pose problems seeing as the venue is so large. However, it is also super awesome. So, let me know what you think.

http://doodle.com/poll/ebsq96ms9gat6a6m

*edit*

Here's the entire map, about a mile from the NW corner to the SE corner. This will give you an idea of what we would be dealing with, even though I have yet to map out the million little streams intersecting the islands area, and other places need to be filled in and more defined. I've used GPS hike mapping to literally walk/kayak the different waterways. It's a great place, but consider what it might be like with just 4 v 4. We should discuss if everyone is still ok with that.

There is also the possibility of extending the battlefield SE from the dam, and using the creek beneath the dam. It's super dense after that, and US 70 bypass goes overhead in 2 areas, but it's so far above that people really can't see you.
rsz_1rsz_map.jpg
rsz_1rsz_map.jpg (165.16 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:08 pm

I edited my calendar response because I realized that I do not in fact have any classes on Monday April 4th, therefore that could be designated as travel day instead of Sunday.

4v4 is probably the minimum I'd be okay with. If nobody wants to camp out and stuff we could always scale it back and just do 12 hours. I would actually prefer this if the battle were to fall on a day right before I had to leave, 'cause there's no way I can drive home immediately after fighting 24 hours.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm

http://doodle.com/poll/ebsq96ms9gat6a6m#table

Apr 16-17 is now the top weekend, with 6 confirmed.

Scott, would this work with you? Brandon, could you take off class one day to make it? Also, I heard something about Van may not be able to make any of these now. Is he still in?

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:20 pm

I've been trying to keep up with this, but school has been pretty crazy this semester.

The weekend of April 16 should work for me, I have no exams the week before or the week after, so it should give me plenty of time to catch up on stuff. The weekend after, the 23, might work, although I have an exam Tuesday so it would depend on how confident I feel about the material.

Still need to test/fix guns and should probably start planning Soakemore for this year too so we can have it late spring before it gets really hot.

SSCBen: Your parents live kind of near me right? I could probably give you a ride if you are in town then.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:43 pm

That actually could work for me because I just checked some things and it looks like I don't have class Friday Apr 15th. That week there are mostly design review sessions (for our junior design projects), so if I don't schedule my session on Friday, I might be able to make the war assuming nothing else comes up. In that case I could drive down on Friday, be free to fight Saturday through Sunday, and leave on Monday.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 am

Rob has brought up a salient issue that we have not addressed so far -

Weaponry.

Or more specifically, the lack-thereof. A lot of people seem to have broken heavy primaries. Rob has proposed that we use medium primaries due to this and their greater durability. I am considering this option, or a modified version, e.g. only a certain # of heavies allowed per team.

What weapons does everyone have available and what are your thoughts on this?

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 pm

My whole arsenal is working and ready for full primary play, although my 2000's pump handle is down and I never fixed it yet. (I'd substitute it with the re-nozzled 2500 I used at Frozen Fury.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:53 pm

I'm pretty sure the only 100% working heavy blaster in the SEALs arsenal is Chief's 2500. I kinda like the idea of having a mixed-tier battle with only like two or three heavy guns on each team. I feel like anyone with a 2000 would just go off, but I perhaps the length of the round would negate that advantage. Longer rounds are more about strategy and less about guns. Either way, I don't really want to do medium-only. Those have gotten kinda old, and everyone uses the same stuff.

Are you guys still using Skype or AIM to discuss this? If so, let me know when and I'll try to get on. I should be free tomorrow afternoon and probably most of the weekend.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:57 am

Starting a group chat would be nice, but I'm not sure when everyone would be available at the same time.

Right now I'm trying to work out teams. Please PM me your ideal teams. I'll take everyone's opinions into account before deciding. Also, I'm liking SEAL's suggestion on blasters.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 pm

The nerf event on March 26-27 is likely to be set in stone soon, so we should definitely avoid that weekend for MOAB. (Which would also waste a given day off work for me.) I'll update the Doodle calendar.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:15 pm

^Is that the indoor Nerf war in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? If so I might actually be interested in going since it's only an hour from me.

So are we going for April 16-17? I'd still prefer the weekend of the 1st, but the former should be workable if it means more people will show up.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Right now April 23rd weekend actually works best. It's also a full moon, which should make it a lot of fun at night. One of my friends has confirmed they are in, 2 are maybes, I still haven't gotten in contact with the rest.

Due to how small our community is we'd probably end up doing individual requests rather than a lot of bulk prints.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:08 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:SSCBen: Your parents live kind of near me right? I could probably give you a ride if you are in town then.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It's looking unlikely right now, though.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm booked solid until Christmas this year (not to mention being on the wrong coast...). I can't attend any water wars this year. Hope you guys have fun, though!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Some updates -

Backup Site
We need a backup in the event that Carolina Packers says I can't visit the property to look into turning it into a park or environmental preserve. Potential candidates are as follows -
Riverwood: advantages are ease of access, long narrow battlefield that forces fighting, paths that encourage movement and encounters, ample refil locations, & several ambush spots of deep concealment. Disadvantages are that it is often visited during the day and we may scare kids/parents by being in camo kind of like showing up to a public park all camo and hardcored out yeah its legal but do you want to risk that discussion? Some parts flood after a hard rain.

Howell Woods advantages are that we could rent a cabin and store our gear there and we would have massive amount of land to freely use without being bothered. Disadvantages include difficulty of access for anyone that shows up late and massive amounts of briars.

Legend park advantages are pretty much already known. Disadvantage are that it isn't particularly thick for hiding and that you aren't really supposed to be there after 9... however... no one is really going to patrol at night, so if we stick to the woods and get dropped off we would be fine.

Little Creek
I still think Little Creek is far and away the best venue. Rob, can you give an appraisal to everyone of what you thought of it? When we went out there it was night, but it was a full moon, which is what we will have during the war.

Game Type
Do we still want to do OHS for the entire weekend? What if we played OHS from 5:30 Friday to noon the next day. Had lunch, reset, and then played a rotation of CTF and 1hk then a set night OHS around the ruins?

Weaponry
For Long OHS I am thinking of imposing several weapon restrictions by team. This would definitely not be "light only," "med only," or "BBT only," but something more complex like requiring each team to have at least 1 light weapon, possible chaos, or fighting your way to better weapons while you start with only light weapons. I am open to any other suggestions and want to make this as fun as possible. Please add your feedback.

Teams
I've looked at everyone's suggestions. Essentially everyone wants to be on Rob's team and did not include me on their list of people they want to play with *tear,* but Rob wants to be on my team. One thing that I have recognized is that battles are usually more competitive, especially CTF, when Rob and I are on opposite teams. Unfortunately, leaving everyone else off my team other than the nephews and the possibility that some friends show up. Thus, I have put together a few alternatives for you to vote on, only considering those who are 100% coming for sure, as we can add the others on later -

Ben, Brandon, Tony, Danny vs Rob, Scott, Sam, David
Ben, Rob & Danny vs Brandon, Scott, Sam, David, Tony
Ben, Scott, Sam, Danny vs Rob, Brandon, Tony, David

DX

Post by DX » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Little Creek would be the best venue for long, hardcore rounds. The bushes and grassy mound fields allow for interesting maneuver and ambush opportunities. There are also areas on the back hills where it gets dense with small pines and large bushes. The slope part of the hills where the woods are, aren't very ideal, but the sites above and below that are great. Unlike at St. John's Woods, the briars are very isolated and far less numerous. I think that long CTF might be more interesting than long OHS in this location, but both would work well.

The ruins are unfortunately smaller than I had envisioned, and down more. However, the stone columns provide ample defense, so while the attackers can shoot down into the place, they can't get you behind those columns. It would be a good place to try 1 flag CTF, or serve as a flag base for 2 flag CTF, or as a team's campsite.

Sight lines, despite all the dense stuff, are long. This venue would probably play best at night. They are longer than both Cedar Hill and St John's Woods in winter conditions, let alone spring or summer. However, since I haven't seen the Little Creek property in the spring, this might improve by the time we play.

The first 2 team suggestions are pretty well balanced. Definitely not the 3rd one, though.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 pm

The April 23rd weekend is a little iffy for me. Not sure if I'll be able to make it, as it depends on a couple things. Earlier is better, though obviously later will provide more vegetation.

I would want to do a straight 12 or 24 hour round starting at say, 9AM Saturday morning, and going non-stop from there. Friday night is when I'd be arriving, and I'd rather sleep and save my energy for the next day than jump into a battle right away. On Sunday I'd be down for some hanging out/exploring, or some casual fighting or a duelfest. I'd leave Monday. As for gametypes, 1HS is preferable. CTF with unlimited flags would be alright too, but what I don't like about that is it gets repetitive after a while. I'd rather stalk in the woods most of the time than just bombard the enemy base again and again and again. Alternatively, we could start with long-distance CTF, and when one team captures a flag, it switches to 1HS and that team starts with a five-point lead or something. There would be no downtime in between. Like literally once a team brings a flag back, any enemy troops attacking the base can just keep pressing for points.

For weapons, I'm not really feeling chaos or fighting toward better weapons or whatever. That just complicates things and requires a lot more guns. I'd want to do a thing where it's medium-only, but each team can have up to two heavy weapons. Or one heavy and one light.

As far as teams go, I'm pretty much cool with whatever. For the third suggestion we could swap Sam and Tony and it could be a sort of North vs. South. I think that's been mentioned several times
~Hotel Oscar Golf~