Electrical Modifications

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
isoaker

Electrical Modifications

Post by isoaker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Thread from the WWn wiki - originally developed by Martianshark
If you own a motorized water gun (such as a Tarantula, Thunderstorm, Lightning Storm, or Electrostorm), you can do some electrical modifications to change its performance. This means increasing the voltage to give it greater range and power.
[edit] You Will Need

Generally, you will need the following:

Screwdrivers
Batteries with more voltage than the ones you're supposed to use (a nine volt or two is usually a good choice)
A battery box/connection for your batteries
Wire (be sure it's the right gauge for the batteries you're using)
Electrical tape
A soldering gun (or just use electrical tape)

[edit] Modification

This can sometimes be done as an external modification, but it's usually much easier to work with if you open it up. So take your screwdrivers and open it up. (or don't)

Remove the batteries (if there are any) from the battery box. Take your new batteries. If there's more than one of them, connect them to each other so that it's one, more powerful battery. Be sure the positive pieces connect to the negative pieces.

Connect the batteries with wire to the gun. This can be done by cutting off the battery box and connecting the wires directly to the wires inside the gun. Or, you could keep the battery box and connect your battery's wires to the battery box, where the stock batteries would normally go. Whichever method you choose, keep track of the positives and negatives, and be sure they line up correctly. For a more permanent and durable connection, solder the wires on.

To prevent short circuiting, wrap any exposed wire in electrical tape. If your battery is naked or doesn't have a waterproof battery box, wrap it in electrical tape as well. To secure the battery to the gun, you should also tape the battery onto the gun.

Now pull the trigger if you haven't already. The motor should be higher-pitched from the higher voltage, and your gun should now be more powerful. If it doesn't work, you did something wrong.
[edit] Warning

Now that your gun is modified, the voltage may be higher than what the stock motor is capable of handling. Fire only in short bursts, and don't hold down the trigger for a long amount of time. Don't use it for too long either.

If you can find a motor (such as an airsoft motor) that's the same shape and size as the stock motor, but is designed for higher voltage, you can put it in your gun and you won't have to worry about overheating.

And obviously, don't do something really stupid like hooking up your gun to a household socket.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Re: Electrical Modifications

Post by thelaminator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:44 pm

isoaker wrote:don't do something really stupid like hooking up your gun to a household socket.
Sig'd

But seriously, what advantage is there to voltage modding a motorized water blaster? The motor will spin up faster, and...?

I've voltage-modded Nerf blasters before, where the improvement is more apparent, but this seems high-work, low-payoff.
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

I only had to skim the OP to see just how much desperation is in this thread. No electrical mods were ever discussed on the WW Tarantula nor WW Scorpion; they seem rather... brushed aside. But why this all of a sudden?

Edit: Looks like I really did skim the OP, and pretty badly at that. Heh.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Yeah, this is kind of pointless. Just buy a Colossus and you'll have a more powerful gun for far less work. Motorized water blasters only really work on a large scale, such as with the MOARC.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:56 pm

MOARC is gasoline-powered I believe.

It may be somewhat pointless, but messing with the voltage of electric guns can be a fun little thing to do if you're bored, and could potentially result in a compact but reasonably powerful gun. Not sure why this was brought up here though. Also, what happened to the wiki?

By the way, I think I'm the one who wrote that quote.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Yeah, but it's still technically motorized, haha.

Wiki was shut down because it was just sitting there and nobody was adding anything to it. I tried to add stuff in the beginning, but I found the editor to be frustrating and couldn't do much other than write a couple paragraphs. You really need to have a lot of free time to regularly edit something like that.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

martianshark wrote:By the way, I think I'm the one who wrote that quote.
You created this topic, martianshark! I noted it in the first line in this thread.

I merely reposted it as a thread when the wiki was shut down a couple of months ago.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:10 pm

I don't see the point in voltage-modding most water guns. In general, I think that mixing electronics, let alone all those dammed metal parts that rust, with water guns was a bad idea from the start.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.