Latest Soaker / Water Blaster

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
darthmeow

Re: Latest Soaker / Water Blaster

Post by darthmeow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:58 pm

5X, 10X, 20X :goofy:
Seriously, I wish the lamination was better and the shower nozzle worked better. It is still a really good soaker though.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 pm

The 250 is a great gun, one of my favorite APs. When you shoulder stock it, the horrible-looking balance magically becomes great. Its reservoir is shaped that much better than the 275 and is thus much easier to use. Be careful with the lever though, it connects to the valve using a side rod on the right that is the XP era equivalent of the Colossus trigger lever plate. Definitely think about reinforcing the side rod if you use the 250 in any kind of war. Epoxy putty is not enough, either, the thing is subject to some serious rotational stress.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 pm

The balance on it is surprisingly good if you shoulder stock it. The side rod is the piece on the right front right?

What is your favorite AP?

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes, it's that extension that comes out on the right. Unlike on the 275, the lever is not a direct pull.

I have co-favorite AP soakers for different reasons: the XP 150 and WW Gorgon.

For one, the 150 is a 19 year old relic with higher reliability than 2 year old Colossi, 2 year old NSS electric motors, and even 1 year old Gorgons. Other than pump seals drying out and trigger valve springs not closing the valve (which can happen to any model), 150s are rock solid. What really defines the 150 though, is its massive 70 mL pump. Not only can you keep a constant stream going by pumping while shooting, but you actually have to slow down pumping or it will hit full pressure. That's truly remarkable right there. While the 250 and 300 have their own large pumps with more range and output, I am far more agile with the 150. That allows me to attack viciously with it, especially in duels and very short rounds. It is perfectly matched to play style.

The Gorgon is just outright good. Undefeated in duelfest, can tangle with multiple CPS models, can support a true 10x nozzle, huge field life, again more easily wielded for me than a 250 or 300 (or Vindicator). It's still the best Buzz Bee gun yet released IMO and demonstrates how it is still possible that a top-level primary could be made in the modern marketplace (the thing we all dream about, the Gorgon 2).
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am

My biggest regret of Duelfest is that we didn't get to use the 250 more. I don't really think the 275 > than the 250, they are probably equal but in different ways. I was just a little more used to using it, which gave it an advantage over the 250 which neither of us had used until then. The 250 vs 4100 battle was about to get real.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey everybody, it's been a while. I've been really busy the last couple of months, and my thrifting went from 5-12 stores a week to once a month. I've also missed out on not one, but TWO Monster XL's on my local craigslist. They both sold very quickly (and for close to 100$!) because I just wasn't on my game. Just today, however, I visited my local Value Village and found these:
Two Orcas for 3$ a piece. I love this value village- it is the only one in my area that hasn't adopted the insane pricing policy that all the others have. Anywhere else these would have been 8-10$ each. Maybe I'm just cheap, but considering that the price on toys this year is 2X-3X the normal pricing that I have seen at VV the last four or five years, it's just a bit insane. But enough about their new policies.

These Orcas are great. The only thing wrong with them is the nozzle selectors were a little bit loose, causing water to spray out the sides. Nothing someone with half a brain and a phillips screwdriver couldn't fix.
The triggers work perfectly, there is virtually no rust. Batteries not included, although the top one had some rust in the battery compartment. Don't know or care if it works.

And for my third or fourth miracle, the pumps work much better than my other Orca! The top one is a little stiffer to push, and the handle is looser, causing it to bump into the casing more and make a bunch of noise. However, it has comparitively more power (Range and Output) than the other one. The bottom one has a smoother pump but it leaks a bit when pumped.

The only other thing I have noticed is that these two have a lesser "Power Spike" than my first Orca, or even a Blazer/Expedition for that matter. Still, they get a little more range when fully pressurized than the rest of the shot, which enjoys a gradual drop-off. These two blasters are quite war-worthy. I haven't had a chance to compare all three yet, but I get a feeling that my first clunky old Orca is still the most powerful.
Last edited by soakinader on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 pm

What is the range like on 6X? I have heard that it does not fire as far as 3X. Either way, great find for only $3 each. I just got another 1200 (a silver one which I think is a MK3) and a 2500. I really like the 2500, except for the short shot time.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 pm

The 6X is a very rioty blast, it is probably effective from 15-20 feet or so.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:24 am

Oh my jeezus soakinader, that is just incredible. I live near a VV but never had any luck with it, maybe more frequent visits are in order (I worked literally right next door to one over the summer, paid them a couple of visits during lunch breaks, no dice). You, my friend, have mastered this art.

Anyway, I looked back a few pages and found some discussions about my baby, the Lightning. When I bought it, the best thing up till that point I'd seen was the XP110's 2x stream, so to see a thick, juicy 5-6x really caught me off guard. I've since owned bigger and badder blasters, but nothing quite beats the punch per pound that I felt with the Lightning. It's not so much a power thing, just about any CPS shoots with more vigour, but more of an output/range thing relative to size and balance. It's a very easy blaster to carry around, even little 13 year-old me could dance around no problem with it. I remember I would actually give my friends the bigger Water Warriors and CPSs that I owned so I could use the Lightning, I thought it was that good.

Every time I see that thing I just miss it more and more, I really should get around to fixing mine.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:02 pm

You really should. Do you know what's wrong with it? I had to fix my Lightning's trigger rod, it was a pretty easy fix, even though it didn't go how I wanted it to. That thing is virtually unbendable!
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Wow, those are great deals. Even though the colors are faded I still really like how the Orcas look.

And Mr. Dude, I really need to finish fixing my lightning too.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:19 pm

I tried doing a PC replacement on it, made a whole new PC out of like 40 or 50 balloons, and I suppose one of the balloons tore off and got sucked into the internals (that's my guess). Every summer I say I'll fix it, and every summer I get caught up doing something else, so we'll see if it ever gets done.

Marauder, what's the problem with yours?

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm

So I'm back again from another successful thriftpedition!
My local VV didn't have anything after I grabbed those 2 Orcas, other than an XP 105 with a pressure leak for 2$. Normally I would pick something like that up but my lack of space compels me to only buy rarer things, or anything with CPS / Hydro Power technology.
After that, I headed up to my 'ghetto' VV, where I found my second Hydra Pak! Same store, just 10 months later and 3$ more. It had been on the shelf for at least a week. The trigger was acting funny and I managed to break it, but I'll fix that later. Afterwords, I walked across the street to MCC thrift store. They had an XP 110 for 3$ but the nozzle was stuck open. Again, I left it. I have enough things to fix.
And on my way back I stuck my head into this tiny thrift store called "Kim's Village". And that is where I found this 4.99$ Blazer in amazing shape: (Batteries included!)
Yep. That was a pretty good haul. I suppose even if I only go every week or two, I can still find some great stuff.
*The Blazer is a 2003 original, all 5 stream settings. I'm pretty sure only the blue ones and the Expedition have the updated nozzles on this model.

*EDIT* In the interest of leaving this discussion on this page, I will answer some questions below here.
How many blasters do I have? Well, over the past 4 years I have collected ... according to my notes, at least 153 nerf guns, 95 water guns, and 50 lazer tag guns. I've sold all but a few nerf guns, but I still have everything else.
The Hydra Pak is good, but what makes it special is that it is so unique. There is no other gun you can truly compare it to. You can pump it up, put on the backpack, and with one little lightweight pistol, you can spray water for eons compared to any other gun. I mean, it holds 6.5 L with 3.5L available for shooting. No other stock gun has a PC this big! There is a little nub on the gun which would make it easy to rig a clip, or just holster it because it's so small. Have you ever wanted to shoot water from a bicycle? Then this is the heavy weapon for you.
You can complain about the lack of power if you want. Just know that if it did have the power of, say a Power Pak, this would be one of the most wanted guns out there.
Last edited by soakinader on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I envy you, how many blasters do you have anyway ?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am

Is that an original 2003 blazer (the one with 5 stream nozzles maxing out at 3X?)

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am

How good is the HydraPack?
mr. dude wrote:I tried doing a PC replacement on it, made a whole new PC out of like 40 or 50 balloons, and I suppose one of the balloons tore off and got sucked into the internals (that's my guess). Every summer I say I'll fix it, and every summer I get caught up doing something else, so we'll see if it ever gets done.

Marauder, what's the problem with yours?
It broke at a friend's 18th birthday party. The party was on a lake and one of my friends and I decided to swim out to one of the boats with a 4100 and my Lightning and take some shots at our friends. One of the girls got mad and broke my Lightning's pump in the process. I left it up in Salamandastron (tree fort) for a few years after that. This spring I took it inside to clean and fix up for the Oncoming Storm. I fixed the pump, but the nozzle selector broke off in the process, so I have to add a new nozzle. The shell is also in really bad condition, but I patched it up some. The whole thing was full of dead (and some living) insects. It was really creepy. At the same time, I am pretty proud of all that I ended up repairing on it.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:24 am

I got a CPS 2700 MK 2 (the one with the screw on pump cap) for 5 dollars :D. I hope it lives longer than the last one I worked with, that one's valve casing ruptured. But this one seems to be in much better condition.
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:40 am

I still don't have it. just saying, also saw another black lightning on ebay and that thing looks great.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am

Is the black lightning the one with the 5X nozzle? It does look really cool though.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

as far as I know the lighting only had 5X on one mark the green MK6 (also know as the HP sphinx) the black or white ones are MK5's from 2006 any were some of the few marks to have strap clips.

and M4 forgot the CPS 1000 chamber he gave it before being forced by limited car space to leave it in NC