Water Gun Gauntlet.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
BumbaHookey

Water Gun Gauntlet.

Post by BumbaHookey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 am

Hello, I have been drawing out plans for a water gun gauntlet, but have reached a problem. I know which type of water gun I need for it to work, but I can't seem to find the correct one. Water gun needs to be a piston design, Not air pressurized. Like those water guns that you pull up the barrel to suck in the water, then push it back out to propel the water. Main advantage of my design is that it will not require pumping, because its will use a circuit to control the pumping. I already have that all fixed out, but I need help to create a mini piston water gun. Also it would help if the water nozzle of the gun can be directed by a tube and not with a solid barrel. Does anybody have an idea of what I would need to create the water gun? Piston design has to be fairly small, like not over a foot 1/2. Also the range isn't too much of an issue either, 25 feet would be fine. As you may have seen in my last post, I asked for internals of the nerf micro burst, to get a better Idea if what was needed, but I have decided to build my own gun,rather then just use the internals of another. Does anybody body have a rough parts list? I was planning for the gun to be made of pvc. I will try to keep you posted on the build, but cannot guarantee, as school starts up again tomorrow and well it's school...

Thanks and I look forward to your replies. :)

Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Water Gun Gauntlet.

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 am

sounds interesting, but post it in mods or homemades sections. general discussion is more about stock blasters and news.
EDIT: got moved by a god.
Last edited by Poseidon2000 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:26 am

I'm sure a Mod will move it for you,

http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/pumps ... ction.html

this link tells you how to make a quality pump just adjust the length to your needs
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

BumbaHookey

Post by BumbaHookey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am

Poseidon2000 wrote:sounds interesting, but post it in mods or homemades sections. general discussion is more about stock blasters and news.
Ok, my bad. Hopefully a mod will move it for me.

BumbaHookey

Post by BumbaHookey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

the oncoming storm wrote:I'm sure a Mod will move it for you,

http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/pumps ... ction.html

this link tells you how to make a quality pump just adjust the length to your needs
Thanks, I'm gonna check that out.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:18 pm

please don't double post just edit your first comment, (don't feel bad I did that my first day on here)
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Do you have any drawings or something, just to give us an idea of what you are trying to make? I don't 100% understand... is this weapon supposed to used with one hand or two? What kind of trigger/firing mechanism? If this was just a piston style suction gun, it's going to be simple (heck, go to the dollar store, and tape one of the short piston guns to your wrist... done) but it's not going to work very well. And what's this about a circuit? Is this thing electric? o.O
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Soakinader, think of a Microburst with some electrics and a mechanism to move the pump back and forth when you press a button.

If you want an electric blaster, and range isn't important (21ft max), you could just cannibalise an Electrostorm. You've got an electric pump in there. With a voltage modification (9V PP3 battery should do) you should manage your target of 25ft (angled) if not a bit more.

It's gonna be a pain to motorise a linear pump (a pump like the ones storm linked to) as you've got to find room for the mechanism to fit inside/on the gauntlet and need a powerful motor and well designed mechanism. If you make your own pump, you'll run into even more problems. If you still want to make your own from scratch, use an electric water pump. There are many sizes and voltage ranges available. Aquarium shops should sell electric water pumps (some of which can be quite powerful AND compact), and you should be able to find a DC one (so you can run it off batteries).

BumbaHookey

Post by BumbaHookey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Andrew, that was probably the most helpful post to me. As for making the pump electric, I planned to have a high torque DC motor to pull the pump down (expel the water) and then there would be a spring at the top of the pump to automatically bring the pump back upwards. If those water pumps are powerful enough, it will probably be a viable replacement to the piston pump. I'm gonna go take a look at those water pumps. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

No problem, that's what I'm here for!

I personally wouldn't go for a spring return (that's not to say you shouldn't do that if you really want to). You'll need quite a strong spring to push the pump all the way back in, and you'll need a more powerful motor-gearbox than you would otherwise to overcome that spring and still move quickly enough to push the water out of the nozzle fast enough. It'll also reduce your rate of fire. A cam system would be an alternative, whereby the motor moves the pump forwards and back again. Something along the lines of the system used in the NERF Rapid Strike or the piston and crankshaft assembly in a car word work nicely. The motor rotates the large circular cam, and the bar moves back and forth . This removes the extra load on the motor (no spring to push against), so you could get away with a smaller, lighter, less powerful motor to achieve the same range and RoF.

You still have lower RoF compared to a rotary motor (or a butchered Electrostorm) as you have to wait for the motor to extend the pump after it fires.
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BumbaHookey

Post by BumbaHookey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Andrew wrote:No problem, that's what I'm here for!

I personally wouldn't go for a spring return (that's not to say you shouldn't do that if you don't want to). You'll need quite a strong spring to push the pump all the way back in, and you'll need a more powerful motor-gearbox than you would otherwise to overcome that spring and still move quickly enough to push the water out of the nozzle fast enough. It'll also reduce your rate of fire. A cam system would be an alternative, whereby the motor moves the pump forwards and back again. Something along the lines of the system used in the NERF Rapid Strike word work nicely. The motor rotates the large circular cam, and the bar moves back and forth . This removes the extra load on the motor (no spring to push against), so you could get away with a smaller, lighter, less powerful motor to achieve the same range and RoF.

You still have lower RoF compared to a rotary motor (or a butchered Electrostorm) as you have to wait for the motor to extend the pump after it fires.
Well, on amazon I found a 21kg torque DC motor, though its RPM is only 10. A continuos RoF is definitely not required, in fact I think it would be cool to have short blast from the gauntlet, maybe mount the nozzle on my palm and give it an Iron Man feel :cool: . I haven't been able to find a good electric water pump though, do you have any links? Thanks. :)

EDIT: Also I'm refraining from using the electro storm again. Haha, when I first came up with this idea I used the electro storm for my prototype. While the range was alright (Not 25ft by the way) The water stream was just really crappy, it was like a long range mist bottle. I thought I could do better.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm

I've added a link, in my post above, to another setup which would work quite well (car piston).

Unfortunately I don't know anywhere specific, at least not over in the US, that might sell powerful motors and/or pumps. Some of the RC enthusiasts on here might be able to point you towards a source of powerful and fast racing/rock crawling motor-gearboxes.

You'd get better range from the Electrostorm if you pumped up the voltage a bit. As for the poor stream, check the nozzle for plastic extrusions which might upset the stream. It may benefit from a slight nozzle expansion, but the internal tubing is too small to handle too large a nozzle. Your idea should still perform better though.