What to check when detail-stripping a Monster (2001)?

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
XPO117

What to check when detail-stripping a Monster (2001)?

Post by XPO117 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 am

Hey everyone, first time posting and first time on here. I picked up a Monster (2001) off E-Bay, and I couldn't guess as to how it was treated before I got it.

There are no broken parts I can see externally, even has the strap, and seems to have ok pressure with a good amount of pumps. I don't know how it should feel, since I never fired a new one. It also leaks when pointing the muzzle down, and when shaking it.

- Any advice when detail stripping it?
- What are good things to check for and possibly replace to have it functioning like brand-new, or better?
- Where do I find those parts to replace?
- What are the weak spots?

Thanks a lot in advance! Reading the topics on the forum makes me think I came to the right place. I'm also interested in modding it, but don't know where to start.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: What to check when detail-stripping a Monster (2001)?

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 am

I don't think anything is wrong, If after you have fired you hold it down and it drips you are just freeing water trapped in the selector. It works fine so don't risk damaging it.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Hello there, and welcome to WWN!

So as far as the nozzle-dripping part, as Storm has said, that is because there is a nice big hollow space between where the pressurized water exits and the hole for the nozzle is. Imagine a road cone, well each of the four nozzles is shaped like that, so it's perfectly normal to have a little bit of water left there after firing.

Things to look at on the outside:
-Check the o ring underneath the nozzles. They get old and dry out, crack, etc. You can replace them easily, but it's not necessary unless you want to use the QFD, or you are re-selling.
-Check the reservoir cap. It should be tethered, look at the string, make sure it's still good.
-Look at the sticker, and the sides of the gun where the gun would be resting if you put it down. These areas get scratched and damaged the most.
-Look at the pump. If you move the pump you can usually tell if the gun has had some sun fading.
Speaking of the pump, this is your first weak spot. You may want to unscrew the pump handle and remove it from the gun, to check for plastic stress on the joints. You can see these spots are lighter in color than the rest of the plastic. This is a common breakage point. If you find this I can show you how to reinforce this spot. Also, check the wear on the sides of the pump- it should be close to the body, and not wiggle around too much. The plastic does get worn down with prolonged, rough use.
While it is less common, the trigger can snap off the rod it is attached to. You will have to open the gun to fix or reinforce this.

****Before you open the gun, make sure to refer to a screw location guide, or have a way to keep track of every single screw. It does not, I repeat, does not make sense where each screw goes, and there are many different kinds. Been there, done that. ****

And the last thing, you are talking about pressure (power). How many full pumps does it take for the pressurise? Do you have a gun to compare, or a measuring tape? It is possible, but unlikely, for the gun to be clogged with some debris (as seen in my CPS 2000), and if your gun is really lacking performance this is the place to check. Also, if you still want more power, you can perform a Colossus modification. All you need is the gun open (you will need a screwdriver, possibly a saw) and an inner tube from a bicycle.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

XPO117

Post by XPO117 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:31 am

soakinader wrote: And the last thing, you are talking about pressure (power). How many full pumps does it take for the pressurise? Do you have a gun to compare, or a measuring tape?
I haven't tried more than 10 pumps because I wasn't sure about maxing it out without having inspected the internals first, and I also have no idea what is the maximum pumps it can take--I didn't want to over-pump it (if that's possible.) I have a Hydro Cannon I can compare against, I'll give that a try!

Thanks for the information regarding the take-down, I'll get to work on that after a few tests if needed.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am

It should take around 15-20 pumps to fully pressurise the pressure chamber (PC). It shouldn't be possible to over pressurise it as it will have a pressure relief valve (PRV) to prevent over-pressurisation. If you keep pumping until the blaster makes a squeaking noise and you feel a little resistance, you've filled the PC and activated the PRV. Pumping after thinks point isn't dangerous, just pointless as water is essentially being pumped, in a circle, back to the reservoir.

It is possible that the PRV doesn't work anymore. The best way to find out is to use a hose and the quick fill device (if you got one with it). If the PRV works, the PC will fill with water then, when it's full, the reservoir will fill with water. If it doesn't work the reservoir won't fill, only the PC will. The other way to check is to slowly pressurise the PC by slowly pumping. If the pump goes rock solid, you've filled the PC and the PRV isn't opening.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 pm

Just thought I would mention, despite the considerable age on these Super Soakers, most of them still perform now like they did back when they were new. So unless you have a reason to believe that something is wrong, then there usually isn't.
Oh, there is an unmarked pressure gauge on the side of the Monster. You should see a recessed slot on both sides around the middle of the gun, and you can see an orange line that marks the PC. On the Monster, and CPS guns like it, the power in terms of distance, and water output, should be relatively "Constant". So whether you pump it half full or all the way, it should definitely outshoot your Hydro cannon in distance. In any case, you shouldn't have any fear of pumping it too much and breaking it. Either it works fine and it won't be easy to break, or it was already horribly broken and it wouldn't matter anyways.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.