2013 Epic Drenched Roadtrip

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: 2013 Epic Drenched Roadtrip

Post by SEAL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 am

My destination list simply includes the west coast. I never got there last year, and I want to see it. I don't really care where else we stop.

What's NOLA?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 pm

SEAL wrote:My destination list simply includes the west coast. I never got there last year, and I want to see it. I don't really care where else we stop.

What's NOLA?
New Orleans, Louisiana.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long."
-Anonymous
-=+Maximum Soakage+=-

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:42 pm

I found out that the last final exam day for my school is on May 14th, so that means I'll be free to go pretty much any time after that (going to put off getting a summer job until I get back). It would be nice if we could time it so we'd be in the vicinity of Oklahoma on June 1st; I've been thinking about having you guys drop me off there for a day so I can hang out with some people I know, then re-join you guys by flying over to wherever you are at the moment. Not sure if that's even possible though, especially with the current routes we're planning.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 am

Wew, finally caught up with this post, been so busy lately I haven't had much time to check up here.

First off, you all are insane! This sounds really cool but requires so much effort. I might decide to drive up to Connecticut and meet up with DX for this, but we will have to see. Ether way, the last rout you posted brigs you practically right through DC, if I don't come on this, you better stop by and say hi! If I come, I would offer for people to use my minivan, but it is old enough I'm would be a little worried about it not making the trip (plus the gas gauge doesn't work so you have to keep track of the miles you've gone, not sure if every one would do that).

There was something about using an RV for this, though I have to say that probably isn't a good idea. My grandpa has an RV, but it can still only sleep maybe 6-8 people depending on how big everyone is (probably only 6 since only two of the 4 beds can fit more then 1 person unless they are like 12 years old). Besides, it only gets 7 or 8 mpg, so it would be about 50 cents a mile.

How is every one planning on working laundry? I know I for one do not have 23+ sets of cloths for the whole trip.
If I come, I defanantly want to look up the best Diners in the USA, then I could make a chart of the best pancakes in the 48 continental states!

Anyway, I will try and keep an eye on this because I might come. Ether way, I hope you guys can stop by on your way back up the east coast, even if is just a few people by then, I could get enough people together to have a small battle or two.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I really want to keep the trip length at 2 weeks or less. I can't afford to take a whole month off or fly back. So, I am willing to give up NOLA and the southern route so we can for the most part blast back on the way home. Time spent in the east on the way out should also be minimal since there's only people to see here, no attractions.

As for attraction priority, I think we should give it to places that are unique with low revisit chances. For example, there is only one Yellowstone and it is so far away that repeat visit chances are slim. There are many Six Flags, and just a 3 hour drive from here.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm

plus the national parks are slowly dying. :(

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Poseidon2000 wrote:plus the national parks are slowly dying. :(
:oo:

Explain
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Well I know Yellow Stone is right on a spot where the earths crust is very thin, I don't remember the exact figures, it might be another couple hundred years, but they expect the crust to give way and the whole place will sink into the magma below. Pollution is also taking its toll on other parks, but I haven't heard to much about any of them actually dieing other then Yellowstone. Many of them are becoming less attractive due to climate change, deforestation, and pollution.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

The Glaciers there are about 1/4 the size of the early 1980s, and they say it'll be gone and the park's going to be slightly flooded in 30 to 50 to a 100 years.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Right, I think we need to get the ball rolling here again. I'm going to throw out a starting date for you guys: May 14th. That's about when I get done with school, and I'd rather we leave so I can get back sooner rather than later. I made a new route, cutting off a few days from the old one. Unfortunately it will still take close to 3 weeks. There's just no way to see much of the west coast without allowing that much time.

Let me know what you guys think. This requires a lot of planning, and it's best if we can come up with a final plan as soon as possible. Here's the new map (sorry if it's a little hard to see):
Photobucket page if it still does that stupid cutoff thing.

And here's a list of all stops. Some of them are just places we stay overnight at. "near West Thumb" is Yellowstone (we could shorten our stay to two nights, but to really see everything, three is better), Fay is a town in Oklahoma where someone I know lives; I want to hang out there for a day, but if you guys don't want to, you can go ahead to St. Louis and I'll rejoin you by flying over. The reason I want to stop in Rockford is so I can pick up something that I'm buying from someone (that way I won't have to spend $300 to have it shipped :goofy: ). I might not be doing that though; I'll update.

We need to start seriously planning if we want to actually do this. If you guys have Skype we could talk about it on there; I can install it now that I have my own computer.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:56 am

Yeah, join Skype. I am online all the time, last logged out in February.

Three weeks is still too long, it's gotta be 2 or less, especially when you're at such an unpredictable stage of your life as some of us are.

I think that we should each pick ONE thing that we want to see more than anything else and satisfy that place for each person. Too many personal locations will make this take too long and time really needs to be minimized in transit, especially in the east and center of the country. We also need to avoid certain cities like LA, Frisco, Chicagoland unless there's something there that someone just has to see. They are huge traffic nightmares.

At this point, I am also thinking that taking 2 or 3 cars is a better option than renting a van. It's already expensive and those of us who don't fly back early get hit with the bulk of the costs on the return journey. With our own cars, there's just gas to worry about, and I know our 2 Focus wagons can fit 5 people each. Assuming that Seal and bros and me are the ones not flying back early, that works and for those who live along the way back. Anyone in the mid-south and mid-atlantic is on my way back.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm

The main thing that I want to see is the west coast, though in terms of individual locations, probably Oklahoma (especially since it's pretty much on our way back). I only included L.A. and S.F. because they're supposed to be sort of the main attractions of California, but I don't desperately want to see them. Remember, I can always route us around big cities; I just didn't do that with this route. I only included Chicago because it's on the way to CA99's place where we'd be dropping him off, and I didn't want to go through the city itself (I've done that before, and yes, traffic is hellish).

I suppose if we skipped Los Angeles the trip could be cut a few days shorter. The only other things we can really do are to shorten our stays at places like Yellowstone. Though if we take two or three cars, that does leave the option of splitting up, where some people could drive back earlier than others.

I'll see if I can set up a Skype account within the next few days. Do you guys chat using webcams or just text?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:55 pm

Just text, sometimes calls. I've never done video on Skype, it's awkward.