2013 Epic Drenched Roadtrip

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

2013 Epic Drenched Roadtrip

Post by marauder » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm

This thread is for discussing the tentatively planned cross country road trip for next summer vacation. The intent is to go from east coast to west coast, with the final destination being Vancouver, while hitting up awesome sites, restaurants, water warriors, and battlefields (we can make our own), along the way. Please place all suggestions and concerns in this thread.

My first suggestion is that we do this in May, right after some of us get out of school. I should be completely free the last 2 weeks of May. After that it will get rather difficult for me, as I have an ROTC camp to go to, and Tiff will start working full time.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Re: 2013 Epic Drenched Roadtrip

Post by HBWW » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

CA99 dropping in and registering HBWW battlegrounds as a stop! We can play at the parks around Troy, or at HBWW's home grounds, or all of the above! However, I cannot provide housing; will need a long talk with parents for that, or will need to convince my friend to let us use his apartment (which may be too small for all of us) lol.

After you guys stop at MI, I plan to join you guys, then when the trip is over, I will take a one way flight back to MI. It's an idea, anyways.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Aww... School here ends late June. Wamp... :(

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm feelin' it! This will require a TON of planning though; I know this from experience.

As DX mentioned in another thread, we might need to rent a van or something, haha. I have a Focus wagon just like DX's except newer, but it's not my personal car, and it probably wouldn't fit everyone who comes along. (Which would be me, DX, M4, and since my brothers would feel left out if they stayed home, they'd probably come too. That's 6 people.)

We can do this in May (I can't remember when my school year ends, but I'll check), though some people I know from another community are meeting up in Oklahoma on June 1st, and I kind of wanted to join them. However, you guys wouldn't be interested, so don't bother planning the trip around that.

I definitely want to go on this though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 am

I'm definitely interested, but I probably couldn't take more than a week off from work. I could do like a Friday night-Sunday night the next weekend trip. But I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip. Key things I'd like to see are basically the Mississippi anywhere, Montana/Wyoming, Yellowstone. Denver would be awesome. That's my two cents.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

The places I want to see the most are Yellowstone and Seattle. Tiff used to live in Seattle, so she said we have to go there so I can meet her old friends and see the city. Y'all could drop us off in town for the day, go have a battle somewhere, or go exploring, then pick us up that night for a night fight.

I have been to the Grand Canyon and a lot of other sites in the South West, but I've never been to Yellowstone. We should camp out there. I love the SW, but if we are going to make it to Vancouver in 7-8 days after we pick up Nick, we will most likely need to ignore the SW, at least on the way up. We could maybe hit the SW on the way back, but CA99 would have to drive to the east coast in order to get on the trip, cuz we wouldn't be able to hit MI. Nick, you could fly back home once we reach the west coast.

I will probably meet you in the Appalachians of NC/TN since I will be up that way for my brother's graduation. We could take I 40 west from there, stopping in Knoxville to battle the Oncoming Storm.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 am

gr..... I wanna be a part of this soooo bad....

If only If only school was out. :(

Meeting all these warriors, going places, this would cost alota samolians. GAS. I took a round trip to only Texas, and the gas was in the mid $300s.

If we could afford it, can we do this annually? I reaaalllly want to do this. :bringiton:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am

It looks like at this point, we're just doing new things every year. Either way, the ww community has a bright future since many of nice are reaching or have reached the point where we can make time and have money for these trips and events.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Did I see my name mentioned ? :goofy: I would enjoy a water fight with fellow hardcores, (Well duh) I'm sure we could work it out so that I can battle you guys as you come through, prepare to be soaked by... a WW Gorgon :oo: . Or who knows what other options I may have to use by then.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Whoa, hold on. How many people would be coming? It almost seems like two cars are necessary here.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm

You, me, DX, Belisaurius, Tiff. CA99 if he is willing to get to us somewhere, cuz it doesn't look like we are going through Michigan. Your brothers? Well, we definitely need a big van at least.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Then that's 5-7, maybe 8 people. Does anyone have a somewhat-good-sized motorhome? :goofy:

We should plan out a route. I just want to see the west coast, as well as Glacier NP. Not sure if there are any other places. Oh wait, we need to go to that new 85-MPH highway in Texas. Or maybe the Bonneville Salt Flats, haha. :goofy:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 am

If you want to see an 85 MPH highway, just drive the Thruway on a weekend :p

So here is the list of locations so far. Some are for sightseeing, some for battling, and some for picking people up:

Middle of Nowhere, New York
Baltimore, MD
Clayton, North Carolina
Knoxville, Kentucky
Troy, Michigan
Cross the Miss River
Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
Denver, Colorado
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
Seattle, Washington
Vancouver, BC, Canada
San Francisco, California
Grand Canyon, Arizona
Chaco Canyon Indian Archaeological site, Nageezi, New Mexico
Slaughter Canyon Cave, Carlsbad, New Mexico
San Antonio and the Alamo, Texas
New Orleans, Louisiana

The list is ambitious. We may have to pare it down because this trip has to fit within 2 weeks, most likely within 1. Things I personally would cut or have concerns about:

- Either Mount Rushmore or Denver, but not both. They take us on different routes.
- The entire southern route. It depends on how much time we have left.
- The Grand Canyon. I suffer from the combination of acrophobia and agoraphobia - it is usually harmless, but can be life-threatening in some situations. This is exactly the kind of place it kicks in.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 am

Yes, I can see it now. A bunch of water fight enthusiasts, in the desert, in a motorhome going 100MPH. lol.

Darmit DX, I was about to post.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:05 am

Grand Canyon is awesome, but it's sooo ginormous that you need more than 1 day to really take it in. You need to be able to hike down into it, or raft it. Combine that with your phobias and I think we should scratch it from the list.

You won't need to come through Clayton unless you happen to be passing through on the way out west. I will be living in MS next May, but, if at all possible, I want to plan the trip to be right after my brother's graduation. That way I'll already be up in NC (Boone or Asheville) and I can meet you there, on our way out west. If for some reason, I end up completely low on funds or time I still will be able to do an Appalachians to New Orleans trip with everyone. That is the worst case scenario for me.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 am

soakinader wrote:Yes, I can see it now. A bunch of water fight enthusiasts, in the desert, in a motorhome going 100MPH. lol.
You just put a really funny image in my mind. Redneck-style fun!

I can try to plan out a route on Microsoft Streets and Trips. I have gotten very good at that sort of thing. So I assume DX will be starting things off? (So I know where to start the route.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 am

Hey guys, I just planned out a route on Streets and Trips. The good news? I managed to link together everything quite nicely, though I had to leave out Denver. The bad news? The program estimates that it will take 22 DAYS to do the whole thing, and that's without stopping anywhere other than for overnight. This will be more than just a weeklong vacation.

Here's a picture of the route I planned. Don't pay any attention to the moon symbols. They are where the program suggests that we stop, but it just picks out random spots based on the time. I haven't fine tuned it yet. The time might actually go down slightly when I do, but that's still assuming we don't stop anywhere longer than one night. We're still looking at over 3 weeks of travel.
Link to Photobucket page if you cannot view the whole image

Here are all the stops I planned. Most of them are from DX's list, but I added a few that I want to visit; most of them are on the way. It's assuming that DX starts the trip. "Park and ride" is a place in Kingston right off the Thruway where DX would pick me up at. Everywhere else is pretty self-explanitory.

This is assuming that we end up renting a van or something, in which case DX would get it, pick everyone up, and head west. On the way back, you guys would drop me off in Kingston, then drop DX off in Easton. M4 would take the car south, drop Belisaurius off in Baltimore, then drop the car off wherever (I just put down where we would pick up M4).

Tell me what you guys think.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 am

Well, IF it takes 22 days nonstop, then there's a posibility that we could move it to a Summer month, like July, and that would be better for me. *cough* :goofy: And my dad has a good sized vehicle, but not big enough, but he's a good driver if I lure him to do it. :P

AMBUSH

Post by AMBUSH » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 pm

The only problem with going in July is it's too warm down south and plus we will need a really big van to carry all of us.
Last edited by AMBUSH on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm

That looks incredibly epic, but there's no way I could do 22 days. These type of maps are great for brainstorming though.