Hands-On: Super Soaker AquaShock Hydro Blitz - @ iSoaker.com

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Super Soaker AquaShock Hydro Blitz - @ iSoaker.com

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:21 am

While many members have already had plenty of experience with the Hydro Blitz, I've only managed to acquire one more recently. Last night, I opted to open up the box, load it up, and test it out!

While the 'Blitz looks intimidating, its feel and performance felt lacking. Those who had chosen to compare the 'Blitz's performance with that of an MXL must have been using a not fully functional MXL. :goofy: This isn't to say the Hydro Blitz's performance is bad, it's just not as good as I was hoping for and somewhat lower in power compared to the first, second, and third generation CPS-blasters (i.e. 1996, 1998, and 2000 releases).

The normal stream setting has a lag: it fires almost instantaneously upon pulling the trigger, but the stream continues to fire for nearly a second after the trigger is released. On the Hydro Blitz tested, the stream also was not properly aligned with the blaster, firing towards the left. This may have been due to shipping and I hope to be able to adjust it.

As for the Blitz nozzle, it is interesting in its function, though I still would have preferred a larger nozzle or a true Flood nozzle like that on the Flash Flood or Arctic Blast. As the Blitz nozzle only fires once enough water fills the secondary PC, if one doesn't have enough water remaining, one is left with an unusable partial shot. Depressurizing this partial shot can be done by toggling the switch between the Blitz and normal nozzle, but the process takes unnecessary time and energy. The Blitz PC cannot be emptied by pulling the trigger as the trigger does not control that nozzle.

In terms of pumping, the lever pump is easy to pull, but much less comfortable to use than regular pumps. The sides of the pump also feel somewhat flimsy, though they should be good enough for withstanding regular use; just don't drop it. Holding the Hydro Blitz also feels a little awkward. With the trigger on the backside, this places all the weight on the front. Thankfully, the strap assists in balancing the blaster, but one must either push the whole blaster towards one front when shooting or hold it more awkwardly with one's trigger hand behind one's body since the Hydro Blitz's center of gravity is roughly where the pump is placed, not where the trigger resides. As the pump is top-mounted, one's pumping hand is unable to significantly help support the blaster.

I need to do more testing and measure stats and such. The Hydro Blitz looks great, but thusfar I'm somewhat disappointed by other aspects of its design.

More to come...

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Finally! You got the HB! I'm so excited for the full review! And pictures too!

Edited By hydroblitz on 1185045298
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Hydro Blitz pictures posted in the Product Gallery. Will try to measure some stats today, but still trying to figure how how I'll do output measuring on the 'Blitz nozzle.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Pretty cool!
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 am

Some of the stats measured so far:
Weight: 3088g empty (for contrast, the original MXL weighs 4320g empty while a CPS2500 weighs 1700g empty)

Reservoir capacity 3050 mL (~100oz)

Stream output: 42mL/sec (~1.3oz/sec)
Stream shot time: 22sec before significant dropoff
Blitz Nozzle: ~190mL/sec (~6.3oz/sec)
Blitz Nozzle shot time: ~0.5sec per pulse

-----------------
On the bright side, my initial report about nozzle firing lag seems to have gone away. I think the stream nozzle valve was just a little sticky being newer, but now appears to respond on par with other soakers when the trigger is pulled and released.

Output from the Blitz nozzle is less than I expected. I measured pulses more times than usual just to be sure I believed the numbers I was measuring. Each pulse pushed only ~95mL (~3oz) per pulse. I got 7 pulses per fully charged main PC. Because of the limited amount available in the secondary PC, the Blitz pulse is less substantial than the Flood Nozzles from either the Flash Flood or Arctic Blast. The Blitz ~6x blast on a soaker of that size and weight makes the Hydro Blitz's overall performance really feel lacking. I would have much preferred if they directly linked the main PC to the Blitz nozzle as opposed to having an intermediate PC in the middle that must be weaker than the main PC otherwise the main PC would not be able to charge it.

I hope to have a full review up later this week, but I've got a lot of work to do so not sure when I'll find the time. We'll see...

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Er... There's a little too much negativity about the HB. A LITTLE.

P.S. : It's my 150th post!

Edited By hydroblitz on 1185128635
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Super Soaker AquaShock Hydro Blitz review posted.

Still need to do range-testing, but figured I'd post the rest up now.

Enjoy!

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:07 pm

I very much enjoyed reading the review.
Secondary firing chamber hard difficult to properly empty after use.

I'm not a nitpicker, I swear!

I just thought you might want to correct what might be a typo. I'm only trying to be helpful, not annoying.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 pm

I loved the review!

P.S. : Go on yahoo!

Edited By hydroblitz on 1185412938
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm

@cobralex297: What the heck was I typing there? Hm... will fix that. I think I had a brain-lapse. :goofy: Thanks for pointing that out!

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Ouch. Seems like Hasbro tired to go for for the big guns again but just ended up making a big mess. It seems like it takes an exceptional effort to mess up something that simple so badly. They tried to build in too many special features and missed out on real power or range.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm

Even with the lacking in power, and obvious many failings, there can be no questioning the coolness of the selector switch.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 am

I agree! Even if the HB is not my fav. soaker anymore, I still like it!
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 am

The Hydro Blitz is a blaster with great looks and a lot of potential. The strength of the primary PC suggests that Hasbro could theoretically be making harder hitting CPS-blasters if they wanted to. If the Max-D triggers on the Hydro Blitz are using stronger springs and don't break down as easily, these are good things. The "Multi-Blastin' Burst" feature does help conserve water, but I don't like the partial delay between pulling the trigger and waiting for the primary PC to fill the secondary PC before the Blitz nozzle is activated. That split second delay could mean the difference between a successful blast or a near-miss.

The main thing I don't fully understand is the sheer weight of the Blitz; it is 3/4th the weight of an MXL, but only about 1/2 the size. Combined with its unique shape, it is just unfortunately more difficult to wield well.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:24 am

For such a heavy blaster you'd think that it'd hold more water! What's all the weight from? I thought it looked pretty compact.
Well, at least we have the Arctic Blast and New Flash Flood. Two good guns are better than none.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

rbertaut44

Post by rbertaut44 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:37 pm

If you ask me I think Hasbro is making the guns less powerfull unperpus, so yonger kids can use them. :baby:
Normal Pasition: Camander/Hevy Forword
Main Gun: CPS 3200| Backup Gun: Aquashock Seckrit Strike
Arsonal: CPS 3200, 100 oz Aqua Pack, Max D 2000, Water Ball SL 175 and ML 100, Sheald Blaster 1000 and 3000, Aquashock Seckrit Strike, Healix, and Storm 2 in1.

Broken guns: A lot

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:28 am

The Hydro Blitz is really too heavy for young kids to be able to use it easily. I think Hasbro has gotten confused over the past few years and is trying, but making mistakes in its designs still. The Hydro Blitz's parts appear to have the ability to power a stronger stream, but the rest of the design prevents it.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:20 am

It's too bad that it did turn out this way with the Hydroblitz, but at least Hasbro is putting in an effort! The Hydroblitz is a far greater product of increased effort than those seen in 2003 with the EES line. Hopefully, this effort will come forth more appropriately in next year's line, which whichever gun that they choose to be 2008's 'big gun'.

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker AquaShock Hydro Blitz - @ iSoaker.com

Post by thelaminator » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm

it's so weird looking back a few years and seeing MIA members talking with acive members like this :goofy:

wait.... why did i come to this thread again?
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

GJIV

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker AquaShock Hydro Blitz - @ iSoaker.com

Post by GJIV » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm

this here is over 5 years old :D Not sure why you ended up here... :goofy: