What Off-Season?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

What Off-Season?

Post by SEAL » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:22 am

How's this? Not one battle all summer (Excluding the community war.), but now in October, I actually got my brothers together, and had a couple of small battles. The temperature was in the 70s, so why not? I have provided a rough map of the area with paint.

We brought my CPS 1200, a MD 6000, and a Vanquisher.

The following takes place on Wednesday, October 5th, 2011, between 13:30 and 16:00 (I always like to use military time in my battle reports.).

ROUND 1:

Free-For-All, 1HK Elimination

I used the Vanquisher, Keith used the MD 6000, and Jon used my CPS 1200.

After filling our blasters in the stream, we headed to our starting points. We each started in different areas, me and my brother Keith starting on opposite sides of position 4, and my other brother Jon starting around position 5. I started on the side with the river. Once we were all ready, we hollered out, and began the match. I could see Jon across the street from my starting position, but Keith was nowhere in sight (There was a lot of undergrowth in between Keith's starting point and pos. 4.). I started by slowly moving up toward the road, moving from tree to tree, checking behind me every time I got to the next tree. Jon was already moving across the road as I got close, I wasn't sure if he could see me or not (He told me later that he saw the nozzle of my blaster. Doh!).

When he got to my side of the road, he ducked behind a tree, maybe 50 feet from where I was hiding. He was looking right at me now, so I rushed to an even closer tree, and we exchanged shots. After about a minute of skirmishing, Jon's water started to run out, and I eliminated him near pos. 3. I topped off the Vanquisher in the stream, and went off searching for Keith.

I looked around on my side for a while, didn't find him, so I headed across the road to the other side over to pos. 6. I followed the stream to pos. 7, still didn't see him, so I threw a log across the river, and crossed over it to the other side. From there, I headed towards the road, and crossed back over again. I wandered out to pos. 4, then turned back, a bit fed up with all this by now. Suddenly, I saw movement across the road, in between positions 6 & 7.

I made my way to the road, then dashed across to the other side, in between pos. 3 and 5. From there I made my way along the side of the creek, until I was almost even with him (He was around pos. 7.). I hid behind two large trees, a very good hiding spot, and checked things out. Apparently, he never saw me, even though I was in the open a lot of the time. I waited for an opportunity, and sure enough, he eventually came down to the bank on the opposite side, within range. I jumped out of hiding, and we took shots. We ended up with another Mexican standoff, but I noticed that if I got right to the edge of the bank, I could shoot pretty far into the other side. So I rushed up to the bank, and shot in the air over my brother's head. It worked beautifully; he backed up, straight into the rain. I claimed victory in the first round.

ROUND 2:

2vs1, 1HK Elimination

Now, I always like a good challenge, so I told my brothers to team up and try to take me out. I took the CPS 1200, just so it wouldn't be completely unfair, while Keith took the 6000, and Jon used the Vanquisher.

I started in the same place as last time, and my brothers started somewhere around pos. 6. When we started, I could see where they were, so I decided to attempt to flank them. I made my way to a clump of bushes next to the road, just below the boundries on the map. I was looking for a safe way to pass (There was a lot of poison ivy around there.), when my brothers popped into view again (I hadn't seen them since I started.); they looked like they were going to cross the road, so I decided to try and ambush them from pos. 4.

I sprinted back through the woods, until I got to 4. Now the reason I marked this location on the map, is because there's like five downed trees, roots sticking out of the ground (Probably from the hurricane.), that cover the area. I went in amongst them, thinking it would be a great spot to defend, but I was wrong. It was rather swampy, and I couldn't hide behind the roots, because there were huge puddles in the big holes where the trees had been. As it turned out however, my brothers weren't showing up, so I eventually left pos. 4 and went off looking for them again.

I made my way towards pos. 3, still looking for my brothers. When I got right to the edge of the woods next to the road, I saw them, still at pos. 6! I wondered if they ever left there. I was pretty sure they saw me, so I sprinted at top speed across the road, jumping behind a tree on the opposite side of the creek. I didn't like the hiding spot very well, so I ran further away from the road, along the stream. I decided to attempt to get to the other side, and maybe flank them, but I couldn't find a good crossing spot, so I eventually had to go down to the same log that I had thrown across the stream in the first round.

Once I got to the other side, I made my way towards their location. I briefly stopped at position 7, which is similar to pos. 4 with a handfull of trees uprooted and laying on their side. I climbed onto one of them, and gazed around, but didn't see them anymore. From there, I made my way to pos. 6, where they were last spotted.

After getting there, I caught a glimpse of someone's shirt behind a tree on the opposite side from where I was. I was pretty sure they knew I was there, so I threw a stone into the water in an attempt to distract them long enough for me to take out at least one of them. Unfortunately, the wind was against me, and my shot didn't make it to the other side. They shot at me, and with the wind, their shots nearly got me. Then they ran around, over the bridge (Pos. 3.), and started coming at me. Well, I knew I'd have trouble fighting both of them off, so I took off running down along the stream towards pos. 7.

I had just got there, and was getting ready to defend myself, when my mom pulled up on the road in the car, and told us that she was going into town to do some errands. Well, that cut our battle short, just as it was getting exciting. Oh well.

ROUND 3:

1vs1, 1HK Elimination

Jon was hungry, and went home, so me and Keith decided to have a duel. He took the 1200, and I used my 6000. A little inbalanced, but as I said before, I like a good challenge.

This time, I started around pos. 5, while Keith started at pos. 4. I made my way toward the road, from tree to tree as usual. He was nowhere in sight, so I crossed over to the other side. Once I was on his side of the road, I circled around, but I still didn't see him, so I figured he must have gone to the other side. So I moved toward the road again, and as I got close, I spotted him crossing over pos. 3, heading into the woods on the other side.

So, as quietly as I could, I started to follow, using trees for cover. When he was close to the stream, I ran in for the kill, but he saw me and shot back with the 1200. We skirmished for a little, but his blaster had superior range, so I had to retreat, and ran back to the road. Naturally, he followed me, and I attempted to rush him as he came out of the woods, but he managed to hit me. So that was the end of the duel.

That was the last battle we had on that day, but every day since, we've been going down the road to that same area, and having small battles. We usually did 2vs1, once with a base, but we also did more FFAs. I'm thinking about trying OHS sometime as well. I'm not going to bother reporting all of them, because I'll probably get them confused. I may try to get some footage at some point though. Who says you can't have battles in the off-season?

I must say this however. My worst enemy in these wars, was not Keith, not Jon, but something else:

Spiderwebs. Oh. My. God...

Here's the map.

~SEAL
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Re: What Off-Season?

Post by atvan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Sounds fun! We've got 80 degrees here today.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:23 pm

In England 1st October was the hottest October day EVER (well, since records began) reaching 30 C / 86 F. It's quite a bit cooler now, but still above average for this time of year.

Never got the chance to get the soakers out though.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Always best to make use of good weather whenever it presents itself; sounds like a lot of fun!

As for spiderwebs... ugh. I can only imagine and I don't really want to. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:00 pm

My nemesis, not neccesarily for WW but just in general is greenbriar.

I wish the genus smilax nothing but death.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Now what I despise are brambles. An absolute nightmare to get rid of, even hitting them with glyphosphate won't stop them returning next year, and they'll stick me through the gloves. According to Wikipedia there's an English legend that the Devil enters them on the 11th October. Well that's not true - the Devil is ALWAYS in them.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Seal, you are the man. I love the war story. I love the attitude, fight whenever you want. This is possibly the best year in the existence of the community.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.