Game: Invasion

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
mr. dude

Game: Invasion

Post by mr. dude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 am

I was asked by iSoaker to post this in its own thread, as opposed to the jumbled mess that is my original brainstorming thread.
So, having found the book I stole the game from, I figured now is the time to give the idea its own discussion thread. It still uses the same "hit for temporary setback, soak for elimination" formula, hence why it was in the original thread.

Here's what I wrote:
mr. dude wrote: -Objective: To outnumber opposition players in the opponent's camp. If at any point, a team has more players in the opposing team's camp than the opponent has, the game ends in favour of the invaders.
-Field Layout: Field should be rather large, minimum area equivalent to a football field I'd say, there is a camp at either end (opposite corners work nicely) of the field.
-And a Camp is...: A team's deployment area, or home-base if you will. Nothing special about it (it doesn't have to be a fortress or anything like that), its size varies depending on the number of players.
-Number of players: Minimum of four. No real maximum as long as there's sufficient space and officiating. Strict distribution between two teams.
-Hits: We're still working on defining hits, a player who has been hit must go to the respawn area (I was thinking each team's camp is that team's own respawn area, and respawning players don't count toward the total number of defenders) for a certain amount of time. A player who is soaked (majority of visible shirt is covered in water) is eliminated.
-Time limit: Not a timed game, but if after let's say 2 hours the game is still a stalemate, tie-breakers can be applied.
I stole the idea from a tabletop wargame, each player in that game has an army (generally anywhere between 30-70 figures in an army). The game is played on a 4'x4' board (keep in mind each figure is usually less than an inch tall). This particular objective has each player set his/her army up within 18" of one of the board's corners, and an invasion occurs if a player has more figures than his/her opponent within 12" of the opponent's corner.

Now that you have the background, I'll scale it up. 4' scales up to just under 100m, which I'd only consider acceptable with small groups. The bases (using the 12" point as a base) have a radius of around 20m, which may be too big for our purposes, but that's all highly dependent on the playing area and group.

I would say the biggest issue is still what we consider a hit (discuss that in the other topic please), but I think this game can be more successful than anything else I've thought up to merge all our favourite aspects of water warfare (including heavy artillery, which can be an option for base bombardment). Thoughts?

atvan

Re: Game: Invasion

Post by atvan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 am

I'd say a much bigger field for play. A square kilometer would make the game much more fun. I also don't really like the objective, but it is what the gametype is. Maybe I will make a thread with my idea later.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:47 pm

I agree, it needs a much bigger playing area if teams consist of any real numbers (more than 2 per team or so).
As for you not liking the objective, that is indeed a problem for me, since I want this to be as universal as I can make it. Is there anything specific you don't like about invasions, or just the general idea?

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I dunno. I would prefer some type of objective where there are 3-10 targets in a base that need a special weapon to be destroyed. You only have one of those weapons. For example, the ball in cooler objective. However, you can only have 1 ball with you, and to get another, you must go back to your base, and wait the respawn time ,or simply die and repawn.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:16 pm

It's a tricky objective that seems to revolve around spawn camping, but I would say that it could work out. Perhaps what you could do is use a standard objective (i.e. knock down a can or soak a target or whatever), and make those objectives the spawn points of the opposing team. When destroyed/captured, it can no longer be used to spawn.

Still have a problem with the elimination rule. When you fire a stream at someone, it counts as a hit regardless of whether its a tap shot that lands directly, or a long stream. In this case, what stops a player from continuously firing a stream at someone? Perhaps you could set a rule where the shooting player must stop attacking when the target yells "HIT!", but that lends to an additional layer the the honor system.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Atvan, they are very different objectives, so I guess if that's more your preference then no amount of tweaking invasion would help (unless we include the targets in invasion, but that would make it very complicated).
CA99 wrote:Still have a problem with the elimination rule. When you fire a stream at someone, it counts as a hit regardless of whether its a tap shot that lands directly, or a long stream. In this case, what stops a player from continuously firing a stream at someone? Perhaps you could set a rule where the shooting player must stop attacking when the target yells "HIT!", but that lends to an additional layer the the honor system.
I agree, it's what gave rise to so many complications (like the extra second of shooting rule) originally. We already have a heavy dependence on the honour system, I don't think adding another layer would be problematic, so I do like the "HIT!" idea, though that's more a discussion for the other topic.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:15 pm

I realize that. Maybe some sort of person-based objective. For example, when you invade their base, and the invaded team may not respawn, but may still win if they eliminate the enemy first. Essentially, the invasion stops enemy repawning and makes it OHK. The team may take back the base in the same fashion, however. this could be fun with multiple bases too.
Beware the Purple

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 pm

There's a VIP game in Gears of War (Guardian) where, if the VIP is killed, the team can no longer spawn. However, the spawns are set/random, and have nothing to do with the location of the VIP if I remember correctly.

mr. dude wrote:Atvan, they are very different objectives, so I guess if that's more your preference then no amount of tweaking invasion would help (unless we include the targets in invasion, but that would make it very complicated).
CA99 wrote:(Truncated)
I agree, it's what gave rise to so many complications (like the extra second of shooting rule) originally. We already have a heavy dependence on the honour system, I don't think adding another layer would be problematic, so I do like the "HIT!" idea, though that's more a discussion for the other topic.
There are already enough issues with the first layer of the honor system, and the attacked player (who gets hit first) may have a tendency to fire back before he realizes that he was out AND eliminated first. Stacking this burden on top is not easy.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Sorry for the lack of responses on my part.

Anyway, at its simplest it doesn't seem to bad. Player 1 shoots at player 2, player 2 realizes he's been hit and declares it, player 1 stops shooting. Every now and again, players check the extent to which they've been soaked. Yes, it's more complicated than that and highly vulnerable to gamesmanship, but it seems to be a workable system. If a hit player returns fire, that's situational as well as possible in many other gametypes.

Naugh

Post by Naugh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:44 am

This rule set reminds me of a game mode I once saw in a game (called "Tribes: Vengeance") Where there were two base camps and 4 bases distributed over the field in between.
The objective was to capture all bases. Players kept respawning till the game was decided.
In a soaker fight, this may be done by placing two flags in the middle base (one for each team) and when you conquer the base, you lay down the enemy flag (if it's standing) and stick your flag in the ground. When all the bases have the same color flag, the game is over. Somewhat like that.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 am

I was just looking over old threads and I realized, I still love this idea and want to develop it.
That'll be all for now.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 am

Community willing, and whenever the next community war I can make it to is, I can try running some of these games. I do need enough players, which can happen from a community war but not from my own wars, at least not easily at all.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed May 15, 2013 1:19 pm

I know the feeling, it's why I've been limited to basic 1HK and 1HS in my games.