Looking for strategy - Big War coming up

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:48 pm

I've got a huge War coming up, the biggest of the year. Looks like the odds are going to be 4/6 vs 6/8/12, probably 6 vs 12. My teams got only 2 older kids on it (myself and another senior) the rest are 9th and under. The opposing team has more 10th and 11th graders, they're all way more athletic, and they have bigger guns. For the purpose of water conservation (and because we lack many really big guns), we're using a lot of pistols, high end XPs/MXDs, and low to mid power CPSs. The other team has (at least) a CPS 2100, 4100, 2000, MX, MXL, XP 105, and an astonishing variety of pistols.

The terrain is a huge woods, though we'll primarily be fighting in a large clearing filled with sumac, grass, and weeds, through we've cut a bunch of trails. There are 2 huge dirt hills back there too, which might make good forts, or at least, stopping off places where we can rest and reload. My brother's team controls 2 of the 3 paths in and out of the clearing, one from a treehouse they've built.

The way I see it is this: The trails (which are really serpentine) take away their range and athletic edge, but give give them even more of an edge in close-range power. Our team has an advantage in that we're a small squad, and can get in and out of the area quickly, we don't have a huge army we need to worry about, its just 6 friends. Our only major advantage is the fact that we're based in a swamp, an area where my brother's team refuses to go. Beyond that, they can hammer us in every head-to-head fight. I'm thinking of setting up some hit&run attacks, get some good soaking in early, then concentrate on evasion and wearing them down throughout the rest of the game. I'm also thinking of leading them (hopefully I can draw one or two fighters away from the main group) into a sniper ambush.

Any tactics anyone can offer? Or am I going to get crushed no matter what?

Thanks,

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:55 pm

You should go down to the craft store and pick up some sheets of plastic cardboard. Shields really do help! :cool:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:49 pm

I think shields would be considered unfair in this fight, since the opposing team doesn't have them. Also, they'd be too big for the trails I think.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:04 pm

hmmm, you should place hidden water caches all around the battlefield.

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:42 pm

hide huge water balloons in trees. wrap a toothpick in tape until it fits nicely inside a straw and use it as a blowgun to pop balloons.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:42 pm

Go into hiding. Wait a while, and they'll eventually split up int small scout/ search squads. Then you can take them out in smaller groups.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:26 pm

If you need strategies, I need a map. Do you know the land enough to make a map for me?
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:41 pm

Are the members of the opposing team overconfident? If they are, then you can use that to your great advantage by using tactical withdraws to make them thinking they're winning. Once they are overstretched and/or do something else reckless and foolish, take them out one by one. By the way, is it a melee or a free-for-all?
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:11 am

The opposing team sounds very formidable, so you will likely need to co-ordinate your team well. If you appear weak to the enemy, then you will likely trick them into doing something stupid. Ambush them, set up snipers, and send barrage after barrage of water balloons at them. But remember, one slip in your team's co-ordination and defences and you may have found the difference between victory and defeat.

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:49 am

Send out a scout with a light weight weapon and he has to be a fast runner. Get him to go out unseen and get him to tell if they're splitting into small or large groups. If they go out in small groups split into groups and get the person with the best weapon or skill to go after the other teams best man. Send the rest of the team except for one man after the appropriate people. The person who is left behind will go and attack any members guarding the oppositions base. Or if you have any waterbombs or weaponry left at your base get another man to guard the base. If this fails and you get drenched run into the woods and find a good location to hide untill you're dry. Get everyone together and all of you attack their best member. Then their next best and so on.

Hope it helps Adrian.(Good Luck) :D

Edited By Peeko on 1091872209
I am one with the water

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:35 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Here's some more information:

We're not using waterballoons. These have proven too problematic in previous fights, and the thought of picking little bits of rubber out of the woods for 3 hours after the fight appeals to no one.

They're going to be overconfident, but knowing my brother, they're gonna have the tactics, guns, and people to back it up. Supposedly thy have strategy we don't even know about. Right now its looking like team numbers are 5-6 vs 8-10.

Stealing of water, guns, other supplies is prohibited.

Game style is Free For All.

Veteran:The woods is really too far to haul much water. Each team will have one main stockpile, beyond that, I don't know about hidden caches. I'll think that over though. I think I know of some areas to hide supplies, so I'll let you know.

Peeko & cooldood31 & Yang:I don't think they're going to split their team up. A lot of the people don't know the woods real well, so they're not going to send out people who'll get lost. I'll try and attack them one at a time though.

Razor:I'll try and come up with a map. I'm not the best map maker, but I'll do my best.

Thanks again,

Adrian

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:22 pm

One problem I'll not with using complex tactics/strategies: Most complex tactics/strategies are far better suited for real warfare, where range is extremely high. In water warfare, range is at most 50 ft and the fact that it's a free-for-all means that the older, more resiliant members of the opposing team will have an advantage against your attacks.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Heh, at least they won't be using buckets like last year. We started calling them suicide bombers last year because they'd run right into the thick of us, get shot a couple dozen times, and then dump a bucket of water on someone. Not cool.

Would possessing the dirt hills be an advantage? One can't be gotten up on, the other can, but it's pretty steep going down. They're both within sight of the enemy fort.

Adrian

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:12 pm

Adrian wrote:Would possessing the dirt hills be an advantage? One can't be gotten up on, the other can, but it's pretty steep going down. They're both within sight of the enemy fort.
When they're dry, you can climb up onto them and then wet the dirt enough to create muddy slopes. That will make it hard for the opposing team to attack you. However, that also makes getting off and back onto the hills difficult for your troops.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:11 pm

I would recommend storing very large amounts of good water at your base. Also, stay to the sides of the trail. If you walk down them, you will be visible. Yet another idea, if your team knows the forest area, you could split their team up. And, finally, sow the paths on the way to your base with several lines of water mines.

Also, if you have a WBL, and you manage to climb to the dirt hills, you could launch a bombardment against enemy forces.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:37 pm

trekkie00 wrote:I would recommend storing very large amounts of good water at your base. Also, stay to the sides of the trail. If you walk down them, you will be visible. Yet another idea, if your team knows the forest area, you could split their team up. And, finally, sow the paths on the way to your base with several lines of water mines.

Also, if you have a WBL, and you manage to climb to the dirt hills, you could launch a bombardment against enemy forces.

Once again, I shall stress the fact that since this is melee combat, the opposing team will have the advantage against almost any tatic/strategy you employ. Hopefully the age difference won't matter too much and your teammates will be resilient against CPS streams coming from the opposing team. Otherwise, you'll have to dump more than buckets of water on the opposing team to overwhelm them.

Edited By Field Marshal Yang on 1091929153

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:49 pm

Here's the map:

Isoaker:If it's too big, let me know and I'll just post the link to it.

Anybody have any terrain-specific advice now that you've seen the map? Thanks,

Adrian

EDIT:The black lines are established trails. The sketched-in blue trails are secret trails that only my team knows about. The black dots are hills. The "2000" on the map is a sniper nest. Farther east on E-Street is the swamp where I have my fort. Hope this helps.

Edited By Adrian on 1092426706

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:53 pm

Is Damon fort located on one of the dirt hills? If so, occupy it as soon as possible when the war begins, If not, try setting up a base/fort there ASAP. Even if it'd not on one of the dirt hills, try having control of Damon Hill just to have a fortified position. Also, what does the "2000" on the map represent?

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:29 am

By the time you reply, I'll probably be fighting or will have finished fighting...but oh well.

Damon's fort (the northern one) can't be occupied. They've got a tree house there, built in a tree on a dirt hill. To the south they've got a tent. The "2000" on the map represents a sniper's nest.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:23 pm

Well, its over. Nobody was injured, nobody got mad (ok, my 2nd in command was a little angry he didn't get the perfect gut shot with the 2000 he was hoping for), nobody got roughed up...everybody had fun, everybody got wet. Good day!

We started at 2pm cause I had to wait for 2 of my team members to come. We went back to the swamp, put on bug spray, pumped, filled, and went back. Got right up under Damon's tree fort, and they had troops with walkie talkies right nearby. As soon as we got in range, they got called in and we got drenched. The 2 team members I'd waited for left after that volley, they had to go watch some skating thing. From then on it was me and my 2nd in command (Kelly) and another friend (Matt). We set up this elaborate plan in which Kelly took the secret trail behind their fort, while me and Matt provided suppression fire on the treehouse. Kelly's 2000 couldn't reach the top of the fort, the two of us got drenched, and all three of us wound up on the bigger dirt hill. We held 'em off for a while, which was kinda fun, but then they just walked through the brush, came in from all sides and soaked us. They did let us out, which was nice of them, usually they box us in and just keep coming even when we're out (which leads to, ah, hard feelings), and we went back to our swamp, reloaded, and ran into Damon's team coming up the path. We fought a drawn-out withdrawal back to the swamp (like, half an hour long), and reloaded just in time for them to attack our base. Got in some good close combat time, and then called it a day. We fought about 2 hours total, 3 big skirmishes. Not long enough, but it was 3vs6, and they drenched us. My shoe was ankle deep in water by the time we walked out. We came home, sat on my driveway for a while, went back, got our stuff, came home, and at tons of junk. Soda, brownies, chips, dip, snack mix....I couldn't move for like an hour afterwards.

We're hoping to do something similar on Monday. I'm hoping Kelly can drive up from where he lives (I'm betting his parents don't want to come again this soon), and if I can get some more team members, we can make a REAL fight out of it.

A fun day was had by all.

Adrian