what is the best shield

For support, refilling, personal, strategic, and misc. equipment used during a water fight.

best material for a shield against and if your using it

cardboard
7%
metal
No votes
rubber
No votes
paper
No votes
fabric
No votes
bark ( from trees)
7%
plastic
87%

Total votes: 15

K3YD0N

what is the best shield

Post by K3YD0N » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm

what do u guys think: with shields with out, what material, how big, and what design

are shield even plausible for a water war?
Tactics, Traps, and Strategies, thats me pretty much. Need ideas, pm me for Tactics, Traps, and Strategies.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: what is the best shield

Post by HBWW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Transparent plastic by far, which is often not available anyways.

Some groups detest the way shields affect the game and ban them, allowing only using the blaster to block shots. Whether or not they work depends on a number of factors such as your hit rules, mobility needs, playing environment, etc.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Plastic easily wins. The rest aren't very practical.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am

I voted plastic because I actually have used one in small skirmishes vs. My brother. This was several years ago when our arsenal was 2 whole Max-D 3000s. I actually used one of those flying saucer sleds, the circular ones. It worked pretty well, even though it wasn't transparent, and was handy as my brother had a longer reach/range that me, and was faster.

Cardboard shields would be good for the same reason that people say cardboard tanks are better. A cardboard shield made of cereal box cardboard would be good because it is not invincible, and could be destroyed by accurate shooting to one spot on the shield for some duration of time. I may construct one just to get a feel of how it performs in battle.

Off topic- Martianshark, what is the gun in your new profile pic?
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

K3YD0N

Post by K3YD0N » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 am

I can see that shields make for good blocking slow evading big target and reloading would be slow
Tactics, Traps, and Strategies, thats me pretty much. Need ideas, pm me for Tactics, Traps, and Strategies.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:49 pm

atvan: That's the Water Warriors Gorgon, the most awesome gun available.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

I also have an old sled lying around, non-circular, and I took some string and tied up a handle on it. It's still cumbersome to use, but it gives fairly good vertical coverage.

If you want to use destructible shields for gameplay purposes, cardboard would be good.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Martianshark: I didn't see it on the first page of isoaker's listing, and was too lazy to hit the [2], lol.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

K3YD0N

Post by K3YD0N » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Old sleds would be good if u got a ton of people like a first row of people with shields that make gaps ( but still a solid wall )and they squirt water in-between the cracks while a second row helps them refill while the first row holds the shield up, also u could have a third row lanching water balloons over the sheild wall and long ranged blasters but powerful shoot water over the wall to land on the other side, to make it go faster have a finnal row carring water buckets to people who need to refill.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 am

Good luck getting enough people to do that. Also, the people in the back could easily be hit by arcing the shot of the other team. They would not be able to see the shot to dodge it with so many shields in the way blocking their view. If the people were dependent on the others in the system, it would be easy to take out the people in the back, then pick off those who needed the eliminated people. Also, those in the back would be easily picked off in such a tight formation. Also, the people attacking the formation would not be seen through the formation, and thus much of the water of the formation fighters would be wasted. Then a few attackers could take down the formation with weaker weaponry.

However, if everyone carried a shield on their back, they could still do shield formations, as well as flanking and other maneuvers. I may try carrying a shield like this in my next battle, depending on the circumstances. If you take a flying saucer sled, and tie a strap between the two handles, you can sling the sled over your back. This would protect your back from ambush shots, as well as being able to hold the shield for a frontal assault.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

I belive mobity is more important when it comes to sheilding. The saucer would be best as it allows you still be mobile and dodge shots if needed and yet your are still provided adequete protection. A large sled such as a tabogan would hinder you more than help.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah. Think about ancient shields. Most of them were round and about the size of a flying saucer sled. I even my flying saucer sled for a shield size circle for a school project.
Beware the Purple

K3YD0N

Post by K3YD0N » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 pm

U said that you could easily be flanked but what if you used clear plastic shields with a slight curve at the top to deflect arced shots and if you had men in a circle formation with shield men all around also you could give the water ballooners circle shields to deflect water from above and to form a shield wall over the top of the formation

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 am

If shots can't come in, shots can't go out, for the most part. The shields you speak of would be sort of heavy, and if you manage to hit use person who carries a sheild, the formation falls apart. Also, there would be no stealth in this maneuver and if somebody was out of step, the formation might be taken out, or worse, everyone might trip and fall. If everyone carries an individual shield, the can do many of the things of the big formation, as well as more mobile maneuvers, as every is armed and free to move, to flank, or to pincer.

Also, clear platic clear enough to make a see-through shield out of will probably be to flimsy to make a good shield.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 am

The only thing I can see shields useful for is making the enemy waste water. The shields large enough to actually protect you have important, obvious drawbacks. They are also virtually worthless in the open, you need a chokepoint or other restricted area where the enemy HAS to confront you. If you're the team behind the shields, don't just assume the enemy will fight you head-on. They will flank, rush, dance, and try to create opportunities.

If the formation is almost watertight, don't assume they will fight at all. They'll just draw back and recast the location of the next engagement. If a player needs to be totally invulnerable, they don't need to fight water wars. Part of the fun is the risk and the vulnerability. Without a challenge, why bother.

Good dodging agility is better than shields anyway. It is quite possible to go 3, 4 wars without being hit. Fight a bunch of high-level Nerf wars with homemades and slingshot-weighted darts that come at you like bullets. Then come back and watch your ability to evade streams of water skyrocket. Good dodgers are almost always the toughest kills, much more so than the best shield wielders.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am

I think we are all failing to recognize the usefulness of shields built out of tree bark.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 am

Lol wetmonkey

@DX- I thought the opposite- shields would be best on open ground where there is no cover. You carry the cover with you. Plus, if both teams have personal shields that don't completely cover you, then that seems fine, as kills can still be made, especially with flanking maneuvers.
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

The only thing useful about bark is that it's camouflage. Plastic lasts forever, can be made camouflage if you want, can be any shape, can be clear, is smoother, is stronger, is lighter, and is just way better.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Lol shark, I think he was kidding
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm

He did vote for bark though.