Preparations for Upcoming Season

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Preparations for Upcoming Season

Post by marauder » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Just wanted to see what (or if) people are doing to prepare for the onseason. I've changed my preperations, so I thought I'd share.

Usually I don't do much, just get the guns out and make sure they're working if I haven't used them over the winter. Sometimes I have to clean them up, but as I've gotten older and more responsible (and don't keep them in the tree fort) this happens less and less.

I've realized something that has revolutionized the way I'm going to go about water warfare (though not water warfare itself). It's probably something some of you have already realized. I used to keep an arsenal solely for the purposes of "war" in that I would only purchase blasters that I thought I would regularly use. Occasionally I would buy blasters to lend out to my team. With this in mind I would rarely have comprable blasters, and I with the exception of the XP 20s I bought cheap for sidearms, I would never have more than 2 of the same blasters.

This created a few dilemmas. Chiefly, I would use the same blaster over and over again until it was in poor condition. In middle school and high school I would usually get 2 years out of my primary and secondary arms (CPS 1000, CPS 1700, CPS 3200, CPS 4100) and (SS 30, XP 105, SS 40, Aquapack Devastator). Modifications frequently contributed to to lower blaster lifespans. The exception to that being XN's SC 600 that he gave me, although I am ashamed to say that that gun sank to the bottom of a lake during a naval (yes I said naval) battle that involved canoes and a bunch of people I lended guns to. This brings up to my last dilemma: I had a lot of guns break from "newbs."

So what is my revolutionary idea? I am now looking to build up a larger arsenal. Additionally, the blasters that will make up my new arsenal are being purchased not only for battle performance but also for longevity. I have accumulated a lot of blasters that are in need of repair do to my former ways. Those that are going to be quite complicated I am not going to keep around but I am going to sell for very little profit to those of you who want to repair them. I sold my Monster X to Josef (sorry I don't remember your sn) last Fall and he did a brilliant job repairing it and it's his to keep. I will post his repair methods after this semester gets out.

My current 100% working arsenal consists of: CPS 2000 mk1, Monster XL, CPS Arctic Blast, Shot Blast, XP 310, XP 105, XXP 175, XP 150, XP 70, XP 20, and SS 100 mk2 (NI).

Over the off season I have augmented this with another XP 150, a new XP 110, an XP 240. I'm going to be looking for durable guns with tracked pumps (preferably CPS). As you can see, I don't own any Max Ds, outside of the Arctic Blast, which is because their trigger systems always break for me, and I mean always. I'm hoping to repair my CPS 2500, CPS 4100, and Aquapack Devastator (my favorite sidearm). If not, well then they're yours to fix if you want them, in addition to a few other guns.

So in summary, I'm buying guns in bulk, more durable guns that I can rely on; and I'm going to be careful about what guns I lend out to people. I'm going to have my first battle at the end of April, but we may have one even earlier. I can't wait.

What are you doing to prepare for the upcoming season?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Re: Preperations for Upcoming Season

Post by HBWW » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 pm

I've many a dream of having a true naval water war. The closest I ever got was going out on the lake being the only one armed with a Flash Flood and squirt gun. Some of the others tried to paddle-splash me, but most of it was a massacre. (I got revenge on a fellow water war rival too!) My guess is that the lake water may have contributed to corrosion to the spring that powers the valve on the stream nozzle, as the spring snapped before that summer ended.

Good to hear that you're still keeping the wars going. Didn't you recover a CPS 1500 from the bottom of a lake before? (Pressurized and still working.) You may be able to recover the 600 later perhaps?

What portion of the armory in disrepair are you going to sell? I'm a real penny pincher, so I could repair some if it means getting my hands on better blasters. (I'd like to know what the specific problems on the blasters are before buying, of course.)

Anyway, I have a few preparations of my own to make. I have to get a pump working again since I lost the other one that I built earlier. =\ I was thinking of using a machine screw onto the end of the dowel to hold the seal; will have to see how well that works. I may attach rubber washers to help it seal. And as usual, I have a lot of blasters on repair. No idea when I'll get them working again though; the workshop is an endless cycle of blasters breaking, going through the repair process, then other blasters breaking. I'll need to step up my game on repairs to ensure more permanent fixes on a few of them.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Re: Preperations for Upcoming Season

Post by martianshark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 am

If you can wait a few months, I may want to buy some of your blasters. What do you have?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Re: Preparations for Upcoming Season

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 am

For me, preparations is two-fold; reviewing latest acquisitions to decide which ones will be left in my accessible armoury for summer use as well as taking out the active arsenal for basic care and preparation for use. In both cases, I do need to re-organize my storage space a bit as space at home is at a premium and I'm already pushing the limits of how much space I should be using. The past few years had me getting duplicates of some models so I can have some left MIB (purely for collecting), but this also means that they take up more physical storage space. With the total number of blasters I have acquired over the years, these additional acquisitions really push my storage capacity to its limit.

Apart from equipment maintenance, I'm trying to get a little more light exercise into my routine. While this may not be as big an issue for many members here, having a mostly-desk job has taken its toll on me and it is definitely in my best interest to be more active when I can.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 am

I still have a motherlode of an arsenal, everything from the last post I made on that is still extant. Having primaries break would not be a concern for fighting when you have multiples of every CPS except the 1700 and Monsters. Fighting is the real concern, there is no one and nowhere to go. I still do pre-seasonal prep, firing most of my guns to ensure that they still work. Like M4, I went for longevity over all other stats, and have these observations:

Guns that last a long time (assume heavy use):
CPS 1000
CPS 1200
CPS 2000 (but watch your triggers)
CPS 2100
CPS 2500 (but watch your triggers)
CPS 3000
CPS 3200
XP 310
Smaller, newer XP's in general
Lightly-K'd CPS

Guns that last a reasonably long time:
CPS 1500
CPS 2700
CPS 4100 mk1
Monsters
Moderately K'd CPS

Guns with high breakdown potential:
CPS 4100 mk2
Flash Flood
SS 50
SS 200
XP 95
XP 150
SS in general
Heavily K'd CPS

Just realized that this is pretty much a time capsule. What came out in 2010 and 2011? I have very few guns in my arsenal newer than 2002.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Watch the 2100's; the MK II is more difficult for modding and the trigger was practically designed to break (like the MK II of the 4100) after a season's worth of use. Not sure which ones were intentional or not, but no one with a degree in mechanical engineering could be stupid enough to accidentally design a trigger piece like the one on the 2100 MK II or 4100 MK II.

Anyway, I haven't tested very often lately (only a few blasters), which may not be a good idea. Old CPS's need to have their PC's refreshed every once in a while and none of them have been filled and shot since last August.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:42 pm

I should probably start preparing now, huh? I have not managed to get much of anything having to do with water warfare done lately due to some ah, difficulties.

Perhaps in about a week or so, I will take out my arsenal, test to see whether or not anything's broken, and then maybe have a few small battles. One thing I'd really like to do is document all our battles on camera.
I also wanted to set up a water warfare newsletter website(Mostly for my team, but I could include community news too.), with blaster reviews, team war stories, homemade projects, and lots more. I don't know if I'll ever get to doing it, but I will sincerely try.

I need to build my CPH as well. I have plans and everything, but I still need to get some LRT...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 pm

DX wrote:Guns with high breakdown potential:
CPS 4100 mk2
Flash Flood
SS 50
SS 200
XP 95
XP 150
SS in general
Heavily K'd CPS

Just realized that this is pretty much a time capsule. What came out in 2010 and 2011? I have very few guns in my arsenal newer than 2002.
Wow, I have never had any problems with XP 150s, nor has anyone else I know. What happened to yours? Mine has been great. I definitely agree with you on the SS 200. For some reason I was partial to that gun growing up, but all 3 I owned broke. Well the one I have isn't exactly broken, it's just functioning at 25% which seems weird to say. I was considering buying an XP 95. What went wrong with yours?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 am

I normaly do not do to much to prepair most years, but this year I plan to do a little bit of preparation. I want to reconfigure my load out. I'm still going to use my vindicator as my primary, it sutes me quite well, but I plan to swich my refil botles from my back pack to slings on my front for easier acess. I also want to make some sort of holster to carry on my back for my Helix, my last resort blaster or the one I pull out when things get too easy, sence it isn't a very good blaster. I also want to get some repair work done, I have about 30 blasters but 5 or so are broken. None of them I broke, some, like my flash floods, broke on their own and some were broken before I found them on the curb next to garbage cans with take me signs on them. I hope to get around to the repairs this summer but GJIV did offer to buy them, so if I do not get around to it this year I will probaly just sell them to him so I will have space for new ones. My old arsonal went the same way as CA99's, they were destroyed by noobs. This would have been many years ago, at a friends berthday party. They were battling on a trampoline and after the guns were empty the bystanders would give them new ones. They didn't want to step on them so they through them over the trampalines net. Then they would fall 15 feet (the trampoline was at the top of a hill too) and break on the ground (these guys were really smart!). I will never battle with his friends again, luckaly mine are brighter then they were, they've never broken any of my guns.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Wow, I have never had any problems with XP 150s, nor has anyone else I know. What happened to yours? Mine has been great. I definitely agree with you on the SS 200. For some reason I was partial to that gun growing up, but all 3 I owned broke. Well the one I have isn't exactly broken, it's just functioning at 25% which seems weird to say. I was considering buying an XP 95. What went wrong with yours?
XP 150s are supposed to be like tanks, but half of mine broke. I'm pretty sure it's just simple stuff, but have not checked out the internals. They don't fire. My XP 95 worked perfectly when I got it and in storage for a couple years, but randomly decided to stop working right before I was going to list it for sale on Ebay. Also have no idea what's up, have not had a chance to repair.
Watch the 2100's; the MK II is more difficult for modding and the trigger was practically designed to break (like the MK II of the 4100) after a season's worth of use. Not sure which ones were intentional or not, but no one with a degree in mechanical engineering could be stupid enough to accidentally design a trigger piece like the one on the 2100 MK II or 4100 MK II.
The trigger on my one remaining 2100 mk2 has the same trigger as the other types. As mentioned in some of the older CPS 2100 topics, I'm not sure if 2100 marks are actually real, or even factory variation as Ben has suggested. In the later years of my career, I encountered a bunch of mixed-mark 2100s with about half the characteristics of mk3 and half of mk2. The only version I would say is "real" is the mk1, which has a larger rubber bladder than any other 2100 (it's like the equivalent of the 1st gen nitefinder with a stronger spring). However, you have to open a 2100 to ascertain mk1 and be able to compare bladder size to other 2100s.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Odd, has anyone else ever encountered a 2100 with a bad trigger design?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:13 am

The first 2100 mk2 I ever got had a 4100esque trigger. I actually used it to replace a 4100 trigger since it was the same size and fit over the 4100 pump shaft. What I am saying is that 2100s are far more mixed than originally thought. The 3 marks laid down in 2004 are subject to wild variation.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 am

CA99 wrote:Odd, has anyone else ever encountered a 2100 with a bad trigger design?
I have, it wasn't mine though. It was some one else's I knew but it broke wile I was using it. The gun was in pretty bad shape though so it might have been that and not that it was porly made. I think the triger on mine works but the pump and track has been riped off! I found it by a curb on trash day, I wonder how you could even break it like that?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"