ranking, what do you see yourself as?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.

where do you rank?

greater than elite
No votes
elite
17%
veteran
17%
advanced
29%
intermediate
25%
novice
4%
what is a water gun?
4%
not stated (put in comments)
4%

Total votes: 24

Stuff&Nonsense

ranking, what do you see yourself as?

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Don't choose greater than elite for the sake of doing so.
Please consider where you are.
we like new super soakers, try to beat us with that ancient thing! ==> :soakthemall: <==ancient THIS!!

martianshark

Re: ranking, what do you see yourself as?

Post by martianshark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm

I think I'm advanced. I'm not the greatest water warfare genious ever, but I know a lot more than most people.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Stuff&Nonsense

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:45 pm

edit: oops! i didn't vote. I couldn't see the results because of that.
Last edited by Stuff&Nonsense on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
we like new super soakers, try to beat us with that ancient thing! ==> :soakthemall: <==ancient THIS!!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 pm

What?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:03 pm

As the President of HBWW, I am also Commander In Chief who oversees all HBWW operations of the Aquatic Soaking Squad (ASS) and our secondary/rivalry training unit, Team Ultima.

So transfering to your rankings, that makes me not an Elite, but a Prophet.

As for actual physical skill level, mine's rather low. =p A Commander In Chief does not spend all day working out/training, but has matters to attend to while sitting in his chair all day! That said, I can shoot a water gun well and lead troops into battle.

Welcome to iSn.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:23 pm

CA99 wrote:So transfering to your rankings, that makes me not an Elite, but a Prophet.
You're a Prophet? I'm probably more like a "Guilty Spark". :goofy: Knowledgeable in a lot of technical details and can unleash a massive torrent of sheer water power if needed, but not necessarily the best aim/physically capable member in the team. Granted, I'm nearly indestructible, but that's another story. *hah* I'd rate myself perhaps advanced though I probably qualify as a veteran on the field (or perhaps I do not wish to reveal my true strength so that other will be caught off-guard...)

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:05 am

Yup, I have my minion Brutes tie up the Engineers to big water bombs in order to get them to repair blasters and build homemades. >:D We can easily repurpose Forerunner and Larami technology to meet our needs.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Stuff&Nonsense

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 am

isoaker wrote:

Granted, I'm nearly indestructible, but that's another story.
You're indestructible!?!

And I thought you couldn't get more awesome.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 pm

From all the knowledge about water gun mechanics, internals, different types of glue and due to the fact that I was able to repair EVERY GUN in the end I think I am quite good here :) I am the engineer here, but I have to say that I am not very interested in doing computer stuff(like looking for things that lead to problems on the forum etc) Whatever question you have, I am quite sure I can help everywhere out, if the problem is related to water guns, I do also possess rather much and I also made some really great Homemade guns :) I did also win every water fight(or nearly all) I had, based on great armory but also because I am very fit and I can run quickly and long and because of my knowledge about internals and stream performances, and also because I can dodge quite good :)

I do not really know what is the sense behind this thread but I would say I am quite good, so about elite or more, whatever an " elite " represent :goofy:

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I put myself as veterin, I have been having water gun battles for a many years and I'm quite good. It's a little hard to judge myself though, I have beat every one I have battled with but thats just maybe 10 diferent people, -- my friends. Compared to some of them I am god like, so it's a little hard to tell if I'm really good or they are just really bad (I'm at least advanced though). I consider myself I sniper, I'm an exalent shot even at max range. I'm also an OK stratigist and have a basic knowlage of fixing blasters (really just on my helix and a few max Ds). I have a really high stamina level and good leg strangh, but not much uper body stranth.
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 pm

No water warrior is a sniper until they can hit a target from 60+ yards away. Better get started on that accurate, direct-shot WBL.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 am

Better start building a Super Cannon II is more like it (I would rather this over a WBL but I doubt I could build ether), I'm good at what can be considered as close to sniping as you can get with a water gun, happy? I find a WBL is more like an artillery cannon than a sniper, haven't had any experience with WBL, don't have one and wouldn't have time too fill enough balloons before the battle any way. I do not have my battles at my house and can't make preparations before hand because I'm my friends ride to the battle field (and I can’t carry all those balloons with me from my house). So I'm stuck with what I can do in the 5 minutes I have to fill guns before my friends get impatient and start blasting. :soaked: :cps3000: -- Sorry, got a little off topic with this post.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:39 am

WBLs are pretty easy to build; a lot easier than a Supercannon II.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 am

I don't consider anything sniping unless it is way out of usual engagement range. In the real world, the difference is pretty big as most gunfights take place within 300m-400m while snipers are expected to take out targets from close to a mile. I would say 60 yards is a fair standard for water warfare sniping, but it has never been done as far as I know.

Alternatively, I propose that you call it sharpshooting, or water gun marksmanship. Or long-ranger, anything's got to be better than "sniper" lol. =p

iSoaker himself did some iSoak'd comic(s) on "sniping".
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 am

I think sharpshooting fits rather well, your right. back in 1776 they didn't have snipers ether, just sharpshooters so I can't belive I didn't think of this. It always did feal a little wierd hitting a guy only 35-40 feet away and calling it sniping, thanks for the segestion on the name.

And Stuff&Nonsense, I love your qoute, It_Is_EPIC!!! -- anchant this! :cps2000: :x lol

DX

Post by DX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Feel free to temper my ego after this post hehe, I'm a pretty cocky player. Or at least was, I would class myself as a "Has-been elite". I have not fought a real water war since June of 2007. 2004-2007 was the height of my career in organized, hardcore water warfare as co-captain of the Ridgewood Militia. During that run, I lead my team to 15 victories, 2 losses, and 5 ties in 22 ranked wars. We outscored rival Waterbridge 109.5 points to 57.5 during 53.83 total hours of fighting and well over 250 miles of total ground covered. I was last defeated in the 2005 Battle of Fallen Limbs (2-3), unless you count the RM Classic in 2006, which I dropped 0-1 (but was an intra-team skirmish and not a ranked war). I never lost a war by more than one point, never lost a war at the RM's home venue, and never lost a war in a 3 hour or greater time limit. My captaincy included several dramatic victories including a 5-0 shutout in the 2005 season opener, 13-8 in the 2006 Great Goffle Brook War, a 7-0 shutout in the 2006 Perfect War, 8-3 in the 2007 season opener, 9-2 in the 2007 Battle of the Dead Sprint, and 7-1 in an unnamed 2006 war.

I was that rare type of player who brought in the full spectrum of abilities. On the field, I was a fast, agile, and incredibly spatially-aware player. My dodging ability led to a streak of not being hit in 4 wars and at least one of 3 wars. I was also competent at any point of a line/formation, especially at the difficult post and anchor flank positions, and good on both sides of the coin - getting kills and thwarting potential enemy kills. While not the team leader in kills, I had some clutch ones such as the RM's sole kill in the 2007 Goffle Brook War that forced a 1-1 tie. I particularly enjoyed being a tactician and making custom and trick tactics, some of which are still unique.

Off the field, I power modded CPS guns, some to record ranges (60'+) and balloon counts (105, 95, 90). I built onboard reservoir APHs, a few WBLs and air pressure water cannons. I also experimented with integrations and was competent at repairs. The Ridgewood Militia arsenal in 2006 and 2007 was the most powerful ever assembled by a major water warfare team. I contributed over half of that, including multiple Douchenator WBLs, multiple CPS 2000s, 2500s, 3000s, 3200s, 15Ks, 1500s, 12Ks, 1200s, 10Ks, 1000s, 21Ks, 2100s, and other speciality modded guns such as the 10K/2100 and Blorca.

As of 2011, despite not fighting since 2007, I am not that rusty thanks to veteran experience gained in Nerf, where I have now fought more wars than I did in water warfare. I'm also significantly more aggressive, faster, and especially stronger than I was while active in water warfare. In 2004, I was not strong enough to run around with backpacks or an MXL. I'm 120%-400% stronger now in the weight room. I'd have to look up the old tactics and re-familiarize myself with some aspects of the activity, but with most knowledge retained and much of the old arsenal still intact and working, I'm currently probably still very close to that elite threshold.

I don't really understand the point of this topic though, except to go off ego tripping lol.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 am

I consider myself a Veteran. I still have more to learn about countering enemy maneuvres and stuff. Which is why the Water Warfare Scenarios discussion is important to me.

I'll never forget my greatest moment though....the Hill Defense in 2005....

The enemy had superior numbers, and a hose. We were holding ground on a very small hill (only about 2 metres high), and the route back to base was a long one where we would undoubtedly be chased and taken down. I only had my XP 110, and my team-mates only had Flash Floods, Triple Shots and Triple Agressors. We covered my friend whilst he brought a crate of water bottles, and when he got back, we constantly took turns firing on them.

I didn't take a single hit in that battle...and eventually we pushed them back and went on to win with only one of our guys taking a hit!

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:50 pm

For me, I'd say Advanced. We lack the funding and people to get really into it, but we are definitely more serious than your average kids squirting each other randomly to stay cool in the heat.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't be an elite diehard water warrior if I could, but unfortunately, I can't choose my destiny. :goofy: (If I could, I would be a lot more active too. Just like I used to be.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm rubbish. Well, I'm not completely useless, but back at Cambridge I'd be outmatched by most serious people in a duel. (I'm a decent shot with a rolled-up newspaper, but that's not a water gun.) Of course I'm not a complete novice, I know enough of the basics to not (usually) insta-die like I did when I went paintballing. I do - or did - have decent speed, often being the fastest on the field (which isn't saying that much given it tended to attract nerds), which made carrying a light weapon a good strategy for me - I won a decent number of games by flag capture. (We usually played CTF, victory by either having both flags or eliminating all opponents, with the latter being the case about 2/3 of the time.)

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I've always found fast-dodging to be far more difficult than making effective shot patterns and has been the main reason why I never fought water wars all that well. I've been completely destroyed by people who almost never shoot water guns but were on several sports teams. Aside from fast-dodging, you need a certain kind of coordination with your team.

Our wars have changed though. Lots of those who have attended previous wars no longer come. The membership shifts slowly over the years, and now I've turned my attention to expanding the gametype set to build on our water wars, as we're mostly confined to the same place for now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare