Timers; a crazy idea

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Timers; a crazy idea

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Time limited games are often tricky to run if the equipment and organization isn't available. However, sometimes time limits are imperative to have in certain game configurations.

Traditionally, I have one player from each team run a timer on a watch and synchronize it accordingly. However, the time bearer may not hear the timer go off, so I have imagined more radical solutions to the problem, that would also allow for other possibilities.

Since much water warfare action takes place around my house, it wouldn't be too farfetched to open up a window and bring some big speakers out to blast music, etc. I could also blast a timer alarm to indicate the ending of games. However, setting this up would be extensively difficult and require certain equipment, but I've come up with something.

There are four windows/doors I can use. One of these doors is where I typically go through when bringing out the armory, so it is the ideal location for controlling the timer. The only better method is to get some kind of water-resistant wireless clicker or something, as I'm going to use a PC to control this. Specifically, a laptop will reside close to the door so I can quickly go inside and control it.

Now, this leaves us with three windows, two on the first floor and one on the second. There's a window in the family room, the dining room, and a bathroom window upstairs. The family room window is ideal for using to display information, but a hose also resides there making it far too dangerous to try to play sound out of. The window in the dining room is less dangerous for playing sound through, and I can still place a display over it at the same time. The upstairs window however, will be far too difficult to setup a display that people can actually see, thus it is only good for sound. However, it will carry the sound farther since it's upstairs, and is the safest option if I don't want incoming streams to fry some electronics.

The best way to do this that I can think of right now is to have the control computer at the door. Next to the door is a pseudo-door that works as a window, and I can place a computer monitor there to display information, and simply connect it to the laptop that will be the main controller. Then, upstairs will be where the sound goes. The sound system will be controlled by another computer that's also upstairs, and using LogMeIn, a remote access software, I can have full control over that system and set the timer as well. It's even possible to get the timer to display over the monitor for viewing information.

I'm a little uneasy about relying on an internet-required remote access software, but unless I can find and/or write a program that can do the same thing over just the LAN, this is my best option. The timer itself will already require some work to get going; I'll have to find a timer program online or make one in, say, Flash or Java.

What do people think of this?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

soakernerd

Re: Timers; a crazy idea

Post by soakernerd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:35 pm

It should not be that hard to make a timer program. I like your idea, but I feel like you are making it overcomplicated. I would set up than LAN thing with the linked laptops, but have one laptop in each teams base, in a clear plastic bin, so it won't get wet. They will be visible to the teams when they are in their base. you can put a third computer, with a speaker system, in the top floor window.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Since much of the action for the game I'm planning happens around my house (this is for 1-way assault games; there is only one base), I figured that just the speaker system and timer would be enough, and I could use it to play music. If I networked to the enemy base, I'd probably need to setup an ad hoc (decentralized) network and sync a timer to it. I'd be weary of taking any laptops outside at all, as the battery has to last at least 3-4 hours or it must use an outdoor outlet.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:43 am

VNC will do remote desktop connections over your LAN, no need to worry about web services.

But honestly, what's wrong with an alarm clock? You can get some pretty loud ones, probably enough for one or maybe two to be heard across the whole battlefield, at least if you put it outdoors (somewhere out of the way so it's unlikely to be hit by water).

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:19 am

I have a set of speakers that can output 90W combined, far better than using an alarm clock with a built-in timer. I can also have it play music before hitting the timer, and either way, I don't have any such safe place outdoors that I can place such an alarm. I found a timer program online which will generally work well, but the issue is that I can't get the music to stop when the timer goes off. However, if I could get the timer to trigger a keyboard combination when time is up, that could work out.

Lastly, I actually have a LOT of computers that no one generally uses (four desktops in fact, plus two computers that I usually use; a laptop and desktop), but no suitable alarm clock. I do have a mechanical kitchen timer, but it may not be loud enough.

I just may end up having to write my own timer, which I may do in VB or something. I'm rusty on VB and Java though, so this would be an opportunity to refresh some old things I learned.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Bk314159

Post by Bk314159 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 pm

What I would do to solve that problem (killing a program after/at a specified [amount of] time):
From a command line, type:

Code: Select all

echo "pkill program" | at time
(Note the use of the pipe to connect the two commands)
Note: I use a Linux system; this WILL NOT work on Windows as the needed commands don't exist. It might work on Mac OS X.

program is the command version of your music player (eg, VLC => vlc, RhythmBox => rhythmbox, ...).
time can be either an absolute time (eg, 17:40 for 5:40PM) or of the form now + delta where delta is expressed in either minutes, hours, days, or weeks. (eg,

at now + 15 minutes
for a short battle or

at now + 5 hours
for a longer battle.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue May 17, 2011 6:43 pm

My friend finished one actually, and I never finished mine which I still won't get to until I have more time.

I sort of tried this in our last war actually, but did not have time to position the speakers upstairs. At downstairs, the concern of them getting hit with water was too much of a problem, so I closed the windows and stopped playing music altogether. For now, I'll stick with my watch for game time limits.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 am

What's wrong with using a phone alarm? Those things can be pretty loud. Just put it in an airtight bag in your pocket. I've never had problems with watches though. It's hard not to see the remaining count every time you go to pump for righties, especially if you have a runners' watch like mine. The count is really easy to see.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

K3YD0N

Post by K3YD0N » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 pm

my fav is a slowly trickling water balloon but that is only good for team battles ( because it wets stuff in the area ) but its a quick timer
Tactics, Traps, and Strategies, thats me pretty much. Need ideas, pm me for Tactics, Traps, and Strategies.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 pm

K3D0N: lol your posting about this device in like, every thread :p
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple