Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Well, not sure about anyone else, but I just got my hands on a new Super Soaker Hydro Cannon. This thing seems a little longer and a little heavier than I expected. The nozzle's size reminds me of the Flash Flood's "flood" nozzle. However, it is still boxed pending picture taking. As such, while I think it uses CPS-tech, I am not 100% sure. Using any other sort of tech would be surprising due to the shape of this blaster's body. The back side of the blaster appears to be its reservoir; not a huge amount of space for water, but may be adequate enough to yield a few solid shots. Capacity is listed at 33 oz (~1 L), but no idea on the size of the PC. More to come soon!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Post by HBWW » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Sounds like it may be a reasonable replacement to the Flash Flood, but that'll be known when the stats come in.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Wow! Where did you find it?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 pm

martianshark wrote:Wow! Where did you find it?
See this post

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Post by thelaminator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

well, what are you waiting for? open it up! i wanna see if acctually DO need to eat a package of printer paper (for those who remember my "bet" :goofy: )

seriously, i'd like to see how this thing perfoms. is it a true legitamate "blaster"? or more hype than the SEGA Saturn and kinect combined :goofy:
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Oh, I thought you were going to wait until you found it for the regular price.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Quick stats:
Length: 75.5cm
Weight: 1628g
Reservoir Volume: 1075mL
Pump Volume: 20mL
PC Volume: 200mL

This beast of a blaster is more-or-less a large Flash Flood stuck on "flood" setting with a smaller PC and reservoir despite being a larger build.

Need to do more testing and such, but that's my initial impressions so far. Am fairly sure the internal PC is CPS-tech and it sure has the biggest trigger I've seen on a blaster for awhile. That said, while huge, I'm a little surprised its PC isn't larger or at least the same size as the Flash Flood's PC.

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:17 pm

according to my calculations, iSoaker is saying it has a total pressure chamber volume of 6.76 fl. oz. seriously? you'd be better off glueing the bottom nozzle of a flash flood! (but then again, why would someone do that?)
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:29 pm

There's one part of this HydroCannon that beats the FF: the trigger. No need to reach for the top trigger; this one works directly.

However, it looks like a nozzle modification would be a GREAT modification to the blaster. That and perhaps a PC expansion/replacement. 300mL on the FF is already very small, and barely enough for air pressure chambers of the same size to perform effectively. Hopefully the blaster isn't too large, as that starts to defeat the lightweight advantage of carrying so little water.

But despite the capacity flaws, it sounds like I may have to recommend this blaster to friends, if the Iron Man/Flash Flood are no longer available, nor the better BBT blasters.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm

CA99 wrote:There's one part of this HydroCannon that beats the FF: the trigger. No need to reach for the top trigger; this one works directly.

However, it looks like a nozzle modification would be a GREAT modification to the blaster. That and perhaps a PC expansion/replacement. 300mL on the FF is already very small, and barely enough for air pressure chambers of the same size to perform effectively. Hopefully the blaster isn't too large, as that starts to defeat the lightweight advantage of carrying so little water.

But despite the capacity flaws, it sounds like I may have to recommend this blaster to friends, if the Iron Man/Flash Flood are no longer available, nor the better BBT blasters.
^true, but that seems to be all. plus this one costs 5$ (usd) MORE than the FF! is hasbro seriously doiung this? it's almost like a little kid teasing his dog with a bone. "come here little super soaker fans! gotta reach for it! oops, you missed! try again!(and again, and again, and again.)"

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Pictures of the Super Soaker Hydro Cannon posted.

Enjoy!

It'll be a little while before I get to write up a review, though. Probably not until later next week.

Yeah, this blaster is pretty much a "Flood'-nozzle-only blaster. What I'm not sure if where all the weight is coming from. It weighs a good amount when empty. Oh, what I also forgot to mention is that this blaster suffers from "Orca"-syndrome. Their choice to put the fill cap on the side of the tank means that when you're pumping water from a full tank into its PC, it burbles. The reservoir's shape and fill cap position also actually make it a little more difficult to fill completely without trapping air inside. Had to slow down pouring in water and rock the blaster a bit to make sure I wasn't trapping bubbles to get the reservoir volume measurement; and making sure it is completely empty is a little tricky, too.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Despite what my rants may indicate, I generally don't take prices seriously. There will always be a sale where that Flash Flood is $15, or where the Rattler is $10.

Indeed, the flood-only limitation is pretty bad, but I'm not too concerned. The finger trigger operates a BIG valve that'll allow for many possibilities. Even if a rotary nozzle selector can't be placed, swappable nozzles are still likely to be possible. Hopefully the Orca syndrome won't be as bad as it was on the Orca itself, as other blasters like the Tiger Shark or Piranha have also been affected by the syndrome, but do not "suffer" from it. (In other words, it's not a real problem; no leaks, and it's not that loud.) Although they have reverted to the old cap design (the fast-fill caps were much better at letting air in), it should still work ok.

I take back some of the things I've said about Hasbro, just for this blaster. I'll take back more if they re-release the FF. =p
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey, with if you add a laminator and do a PC expansion/replacement, this could be a CPS 2000 re-release! :D

This is pretty cool. It looks like Hasbro has listened to us.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 am

If the PC was designed to 200mL, I doubt it will be easy to expand it further without some potentially destructive modding. The reservoir probably has to be removed so you'll need a backpack mod to serve as a reservoir.

Maybe I should try just that; turn a HydroCannon into a beast of a combat blaster. I'm bad with PC cases though, so I'm not a real fan of CPS mods that require excessive butchering of plastic guts. However, it would still be worth a buy.

It's awkward to see a blaster with this kind of potential released on the same line as piston/battery powered blasters.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:57 am

haha this is unfair...When I am not online for some days, spectacular things go round the forum :D

Isoaker, could you please ( !! ) post a firing video ? Just ONE... This will make me decide whether to buy one too or not. If the "blast" is good, this could be a great Shot gun, modifyed with a bigger PC and a backpack may gets the best soaker in close range out of it :)

So please get on and write a review and a illustration video( is does not have to be long or good quality. just a short illustration). That would be great :)

:goofy:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Why use it as a "shotgun" when you can probably easily turn it into a beastly combat "rifle"? PC expansion and backpack, yes, but you're forgetting the most important mod: the nozzle.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm

While I'd like to, I doubt I'll get to take any shot videos for awhile. No time during daylight hours.. if I can, I will, but not likely anytime too soon.

I did forget to mention one other thing; the Hydro Cannon does NOT use a Max-D trigger system. The trigger pulls the nozzle valve smoothly open and closed.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 am

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO GETTING ONE OF THESE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :OMG AWESOME: :EXTREMELYHAPPYSMILEY:

@GJIV: WHEN I GET ONE, I MIGHT MAKE A SHOT VIDEO.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 am

Yea Martianshark, this would be great! AFter seeing how it fires, how far and how big the soaked area is, I may decide to one myself too :)

That is very nice :) Let me know, when you have your gun in your hands :)

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 am

@ Isoaker what is with the shield ? Is it useful or you better get it off before a battle like you would do with the violett nozzle-cap of the CPS 2700.. ?