Your Fighting Style?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Your Fighting Style?

Post by SEAL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:19 am

Since my group mostly does free-for-alls, my favorite style is just to walk around until I find someone to soak. When fighting, I basically dodge around, getting closer and closer to my target. The problem is, my targets keep backing away! That's one reason I don't like fighting in the daytime anymore.
At night, everything changes, and I start using stealth instead of brute force.

What's YOUR favorite way to fight?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Your Fighting Style?

Post by HBWW » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Backing away is usually more reliable than dodging side to side especially if you're at the edge of someone's circle of influence, or their water gun's range. Stealth is a good approach but the area I play in doesn't have enough cover to sneak around very far and very well.

What you could do to counter the backwards-dodging is to alter your shot pattern, assuming you get within good range of the target you're trying to soak. If you can get within 30ft or so of a target and not get tagged, fire a shot at them where you expect them to dodge backwards to, and immediately raise the angle on the water gun so your next shot (or the later part of your shot if you're firing continuously) is higher arced and goes farther, where the opponent will dodge into. You may not be able to get enough droplets to get a full kill but it should do some "damage".

I fight based on gametype and situation. On CTF, I send runners who are usually measly armed (think XP270) though I personally never let go of my 12k even if I'm carrying a flag. It's actually not so bad because our battlefield isn't large enough for long CTF distances to be a problem and the 12k is pretty light. For elimination games, which have been very common in the past, I would often take suicide charges to eliminate the best player on the opposing team, particularly after eliminating lesser skilled players first.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm an inventor, a turtle, and sometimes a minimalist powerholic. I made a style thread at SSC.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I think he was looking more for specific descriptions than for the list DX made at SSC 2 or 3 years ago. DX said himself that the list wasn't intended to be exhaustive nor inclusive of all possiblities anyway.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 am

Meant to post this earlier; here's a link to the fighting styles article I believe C-A_99 was referring to.

As for me, I probably swap between powerholic and minimalistic depending on my mood. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Well if I'm going by that list, I'd say I'm somewhat of a Militaristic crossed with an Aggressor, with a little Guerilla thrown in for good measure. I'm also somewhat Versatile too. Really though, I usually always change my style depending on the situation. (Maybe a good term for that would be "Adapter"..?)

C-A_99: By the way, thanks for the advice on counter-backwards-dodging. I will try it next time I fight.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:22 pm

I had to figure out some of those shot patterns the hard way. Previously, I was following the "use tap shots and save water" doctrine that gets spewed around everywhere. However, even as I fired numerous tap shots in rapid succession, it was VERY difficult to hit fast moving and fast dodging targets. I noticed that if I fired slightly longer sustained shots (for about .5 to 2 seconds), hit probability increased tremendously. (I call these "shortly sustained shots.") It is also much easier to control your shot and spread saturated water to where your opponent might dodge. If you just spew a bunch of tap shots all over your opponent, some of your shots are likely to get thrown off too far, and/or won't soak enough for a kill. Also, short sustained shots have the advantage that you can see where the shot is going and immediately compensate for it when aiming. Now, I only ever use short sustained shots when I'm hoping for a kill. I use tap shots if enemies are moving towards me too quickly and I need to keep them back for whatever reason; that's about all a tap shot is good for from my experience.

Shot control and aiming is a pretty basic and not very difficult aspect of water warfare. You just got to learn what kind of shooting works for you based on your situation; environment, speed of other players, available cover, etc. While the zen-style of aiming required by water warfare may be daunting, you're really just operating in very short ranges. The skill curve is very low compared to actual long distance shooting with projectiles. Where the skill curve in water warfare truely lies is in team tactics, movement, dodging, and coordination, though of course, different battlefields can place emphasis on different skill sets.

I think what DX was trying to get at with the article is an overall style of playing, not necessarily limited styles and/or roles. It is important to understand the habits of a water warrior and no warrior is exempt from that. Some styles and habits he mentions are, IMO, blatantly BAD, like gun-worshippers. Excessive militaristicism (weird word I know, but stay with me here) is another bad trait to have. It's good to utilize the parts of a militaristic style such as discipline, camoflauge, orderly teams, formations, radio discipline, etc. but if you start digging trenches or shooting while prone all the time and treating water guns as if they can attack from hundreds of meters away, you WILL lose. Camping is far more effective in video games than it is in almost any real wargame from my experience.

What it really comes down to is recognizing the options and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of them. Some have larger weaknesses than others though.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:58 am

My fighting style is team based no kills and would be a toy solder/Traditional as listed on SS central
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: