2L Homemade

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

2L Homemade

Post by SEAL » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:37 pm

This technically isn't a concept anymore, but there isn't any Concepts/Modding/Building section anymore, so I'm just gonna put it here. Is that okay?

Following the instructions on SSC, I slapped together a little something for use as a back-up. It's slightly different then the one on SSC.

I pretty much built this whole thing today, although I did gather the parts 2 days before.
The parts list:
A 2L bottle.
Some 1/4 inch tubing.
A short wooden dowel with a small hole in it. (It originally started out as a square piece of wood. :cool: )
A short piece of hose with a male adapter(I think adapter is the right word.) on one end.(About 3 or 4 inches.)
A ball valve.
A shower head hose attachment.
A short hose with a female adapter on one end, and male on the other.
A 3-way hose adapter.

Here's how it works: The reservoir is an old soda bottle with a small hole in the cap where the 1/4 inch tube is pushed though, and is secured in by some sticky glue called Goop. The 1/4 inch tube is connected to the nozzle through an old piece of garden hose with a male adapter on one side. So how did I attach a small 1/4 inch tube into a 5/8 inch hose without letting any air or water out? Take a look at Image 5, cause I can't really explain it that well. The old hose piece, has a ball valve attached to it, which in turn, also has the shower head attached to it.
You also need a hose for refilling. (I'm not sure whether or not Ben's original modal needed one, but mine does.)

I didn't take any pictures of the construction, but I have plenty of pics of it completed.

Here is a picture of my blaster after I tested it:

Here is the shower head type hose attachment. It has a few different settings, but the Jet setting is the best for combat.

Here is a view of the nozzle selector from the front.

Here is a pic of the ball valve connected to a piece of hose.

This is how the 1/4 inch tubing attaches to the old hose piece. (It may be slightly fuzzy.)

Here is the reservoir, an old 2L soda bottle.

This is the refilling hose.

Here is a close-up of the hose connector. The reason this is here, is so you can let out all the remaining water out of the hose. That way you don't get sprayed when you unscrew the refilling hose. (This pic is also rather fuzzy.)

Here is the end of the refilling hose. You unscrew the shower head, and attach it to the valve.

Here is a pic of the hose hooked up to the valve. This is how it must be configured if you want to refill it.

Here's one final pic of the blaster and it's refilling hose.

NEW PICTURES:
Here is the blaster hooked up to the hose for refilling.

Here is a pic of the blaster getting filled.

This pic shows the excess water being emptied out after refilling. (Note: The hose was accidentally left on when this pic was taken, normally a lot less water would have been emptied. :goofy: )

Shot pic of the blaster on Jet setting. The only setting that's really useful.

Shot pic of the blaster on Mist setting. This setting is pretty much useless. (The pic is kinda fuzzy too.)

Shot pic of the blaster on Soaker setting. On this setting, the water just sorta leaks out of the nozzle. (Good for watering plants, bad for combat.)

Shot pic of the blaster on Vertical setting. It's basically a vertical fan blast.

Shot pic of the blaster on Flat setting. It's just a fan blast.

Shot pic of the blaster on Shower setting. This might be useful for showering the opponent from above. (Hmm... this pic is rather fuzzy as well.)

Stats: (Note: I only did statistics for the Jet setting, as it's the only setting I'd probably be using.)
Range: 21' 4". Pretty crummy, I know.
Output: I'm not sure what the exact measurement would be, all I know is that it fills 1 and a half cup in about 9 seconds.
Soakage: About 6 and a half inches in diameter. Here is a pic:

PROS:
No pumping required.
Very easy to build. (I will probably build a whole bunch of them for my team.)

CONS:
Takes a long time to refill, and a refilling hose is needed.
Often leaks when filling.
You have to hold the bottle in your other hand.
Doesn't have great range.
Range becomes even worse the less water you have in the reservoir.

So it's not the greatest blaster on earth, but it's just a start. I will be building many more homemades in the future, now that I have gained some experience. Next time I will post pics of the actual construction.

Edit: I got the images in my post now.
Last edited by SEAL on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: 2L Homemade

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:55 pm

I personally would've started out with an APH or CPH; actually I DID start out with a CPH. To me, the first homemade should be something at least somewhat useful and you can't get anywhere with a 2L homemade. However, in the future, you may be able to convert it to a chargable CPS but garden hose nozzle performance is still pretty terrible; a powerful PC is needed to compensate.

Here's the easiest way to convert your 2L to a chargable CPS: simply replace the 2L bottle with a 1/2" hose barb and 12" party balloons and lots of them. Similar to how you would cut balloons for a k-mod, cut the balloons down so that they can be stretched over each other. All balloons should pull up to the same length and should be well over the hose barb by at least a full 1/2". After you have 100 or an otherwise satisfactory number of balloons stacked, use a hose clamp to keep them down.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm gonna start work on an APH soon, I think I have access to PVC tubing. Then I'll try making a CPH, and so on. I basically like to start off small, then work my way up.

The thing I like about 2L's, is that you can make a ton of them for very little cost.(When compared to other homemades.) They actually make pretty good back-ups. I need to get a hold of an old backpack. I'll make a small hole in the bottom, put the bottle in the backpack, so that the 1/4 inch tube comes out of the hole, that way I don't have to hold the bottle in my other hand. I could even make TWO holes in the bottom, and if I made another 2L, I could dual wield.
It doesn't get much range though. That's the problem.

At any rate, it was fun to build.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Update: I got the statistics posted, and got a bunch of new pictures.

Enjoy!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

v0vanu4

Post by v0vanu4 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:39 am

It is really interesting to know that we can also make a water blaster at home. You have done a very good job by posting those wonderful pictures of your Water gun. It may not be an efficient water gun, but indeed it is better to give a try rather than not to do something. It is good work done which can be always used as a back up. With more home made experiments, you can keep on improving your water gun.