Advice on a good sidearm

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Advice on a good sidearm

Post by HBWW » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Laminator, please don't double post. Use the edit button instead to add more to your previous post.

There are many factors to consider here. By "large tank" you probably really want large total capacity. Pressure chambers should be at least 400mL (for both elastic and air pressure; this is counting air pressure's total chamber volume, not water at max pressure volume) to be able to be used effectively. However, there is no "too big" when it comes to pressure chambers; more is always a plus regardless of reservoir size. (despite what people may tell you) Reservoir size is important though; it determines the rest of the capacity but both contribute to the total.

MK I CPS 2000's are very rare and have gone up to $300. Only in the rarest, most lucky opportunity will you be able to find one.

Since you wanted high capacity, a backpack may be what you're looking for. Unfortunately, the Max-Infusion items are fading away and they don't hold that much water to begin with. The CPS 3000 and 3200 are amongst the best options but are rare. A DIY backpack tank is easy to do (given you can find the parts you need) and can give you ridiculous water capacity provided your back can handle the weight, so that would be an advisable solution. However, backpacks are only really good for CPS since for air pressure, it is difficult to manage pre-charging. (and obviously, backpacks don't work on pressurized reservoir blasters)

With a backpack however, you could do the job with a relatively small water blaster. If the backpack is pressurized, then the blaster itself is nothing but a firing valve and grip, an example being the SC Power Pak. The Hydra Pak is another option that may be easier to find. However, since these blasters are still rare and hard to find, a homemade solution may be the easiest way to go about this. (but is out of the question for you, I assume)

Capacity out of the way, you still need to decide how much power is needed. The Vindicator and Flash Flood are the best you can get in stores, while CPS's (the most powerful non-DIY solutions available) can be found on eBay or from friends/garage sales. Finally there's the homemades which I won't get into and isn't relavent but do know that they exist.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

About homemades, you may want to check out the homemades section of super soaker central: http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/

Homemades are fun to build, and can give you incredible power that can even beat the power of blasters like the CPS 2000.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Post by thelaminator » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:10 am

Ive had no experince with backpack cps, so i cant say how well they preform. However, most would agree spending 30 $ on a FF and a backpack is much more sensible than a CPS 3000 for over 100$ on ebay.

And i`m sorry about the double post, i`m used to the forums at BZpower.com and nerfhaven. (if you were to post twice, it would automaticly format it into one post)
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

Well based on what CPS's you've used, I think it's easy to infer that the backpack CPS's are quite powerful though obviously not as beefy as the 2500 and 2000. Still they probably pack well more punch than any Monster. The problem is as you mentioned: they're expensive and rare (except for the very rare auctions that go out cheap) but for $30 you'd do well better with a CPS 1000/1200/2100 than a FF.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

yes, but the FF has 2 stream settings (with the term "stream" being used loosely), and one is higher in output to the CPS 2100, and one offers reasonable conservation, and if you have a aquapak (the bandoier type), you have about the same total capacity as 1000/1200. plus, it's pretty hard to dodge a FF riot blast. (as opposed to a ~6x stream)

on the flipside, the 3 mentioned CPS's have straps, which aide in the use of a sidearm, and thier large stream has more shot time than a FF. plus, alone a 2100 cost about the same as FF w/o a backpack. (that is, if you are lucky to find one in retail and/or overstock [ie. NWL])
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Well unless you're playing indoors, any medium CPS is far more useful than the FF. Not only can the riot blast be dodged, it is easier to dodge by simply jumping back out of its short range. Not to mention if the FF misses, it will have to power back up. Oh, and its smaller PC size means less water is fired out at one time. Also, the FF's default stream is pretty much a joke without being drilled out. Read up on iSoaker's tactics pages; one of them compares the range factor as a circle of influence. When someone can attack from farther away, the circle expands. If the player's target is within range but the player is not in the enemy's range, you know who's more likely to win. At close ranges, both high range (thick) streams and riot blasts are difficult to dodge. Any half-decent shooter is nearly as effective at close ranges with a long range stream versus with a riot blast. (though it's far easier to just stay out of the range of the riot blast)

Which CPS's have you worked with? They are very effective in any kind of water war (a single shot from a CPS 2000 will drench more than twice of the FF's riot blast, and several dozen times faster than regular streams) but excel at hit based games simply due to superior range.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:29 pm

to list, i own a 2100, and a 1500 (mk is unknown, though), and 2500 (darker tank)

i hav used, however, all with the exeption of a 2k mk.2, and the backpack cannons, but i'd guess the mk.2 is about the same as a 2500, without the selector.

and yes, i know what it feels like to be shot by a 2k mk.1. it's not pleasent, to say the least.

the only thing is here in NY, most people who own a soaker are either n00bs, collecters who want thier blasters to stay in as good condition as possible (and that normally means mint.), or just don't know what the term "distance" refers to. this means an opprotunity for a riot blast succeding are incredibly high. the last real war i had was when i was upstate last summer, going up against somone who acctually knew what she was doing. (exept for shooting in the face with a CPS 1000 is very painful) but in that instance, my FF was broken (guess where), so i was using my 2100. if i were to have a REAL war, i'd probably be soaked in the first round.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Well there you go. Get some friends to play regularly and unless you're one of the more athletic amongst your friends you're bound to encounter someone faster than you are. For me, that's when teamwork, tactics, and high range CPS's come in.

Fix up that FF. If the main trigger spring snapped, you can repair the whole thing with some rubber bands, a screwdriver, and the wire from BBT's packaging used to hold their blasters on the box. (other wire, given adequete length and some flexibility, should be able to do the job too) If the riot blast trigger is having problems (though it is unlikely to snap and I don't have a solution for that yet were it to happen), chances are that it can be fixed by lubricating the big ball valve.

Most people unfamiliar with water guns often have the misconception that a thin stream generally means farther distance. I myself thought that looking things up. If your opponents are slow, then indeed the riot blast should be helpful.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

acctually, i returned the FF to hasbro and like a month later they sent a NIB one to me for free. (they even sent me a pre-paid shipping label to return it!)

and i once had that misconception too, yet a 6x stream is much smaller than a 12x riot blast, and based on what ive read and experienced, the 6x wins distance, but there is also the variable of the total amount of force being put on the stream. so for instance, a monster (2001) PC put into a CPS 2500 will undobtedly reduce range, because it is overall less powerfull of a PC. however, putting 2 CPS 2000 mk.1 chambers into a MXL, range will drasticly increase, even if the original blaster had a much larger nozzle.

with that being said and the need for us to stay on topic, i think the choice is up to teh27. if he wants distance, go for the mid-class CPS's. if he wants a current blaster with relatively high output with low range, he should go for the FF(or if none are availible, he should get an iron man blaster).

teh27

Post by teh27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

After going through all of the posts, i decided to look throughout my local area again to try and find a cps blaster. if i can't find one, i've decided to pick up a vanquisher. After looking more closely at the blaster and the posts about it i saw the handle/ trigger was in the middle and that kind of balance would be very helpful with or without a shieldblaster.

thelaminator

Post by thelaminator » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 pm

we all are glad to help. :D but keep in mind: the only TRUE cps blasters you will find (with none of this hybrid nonsense) are the iron man AB, the blue MI flash flood (if you are lucky), and the Vanquisher. if you are extra lucky, you may find a CPS 2100 at sports athority (that's how i got mine last year :cps1000:

teh27

Post by teh27 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:12 pm

I can't find a cps blaster locally so i may just go with the vanquisher

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Okay. That's the best stock blaster I own. Don't forget to drill out the fan blast since it's completely useless (except for maybe cooling someone off with mist).
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Bednesti

Post by Bednesti » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 am

If you want a small, light, piston-based side arm that packs a punch, get an EES Sonic. A lot of people hate it, but I think it makes a great side-arm.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:28 am

Please don't reasurect threads unless you are the OP or you have an important question and know the poster is still around. I know it can be tough, but in general, if you have to go digging for the thread, it is probably too old- this one is from 2010, april in fact.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple