More first person shooter action

Water warfare-related pictures, videos, comics, humour, trivia, fun findings, etc.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

More first person shooter action

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:16 pm

We definately need a section for this. I can't even find the old ones that were posted a while ago. (Waterwolf, I think, also posted some at that time)

I was working on editing this to deliver a view of after shooting at the camera (i.e. perspective/HUD is all washed up) but didn't get to it yet.

And yes, I took this pic by myself, otherwise I would not have put the POV to a prone position. (it was just much easier to position the camera that way) I also have a few more pics to edit HUD's onto, which I'll get to editing eventually.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

teamfear

Re: More first person shooter action

Post by teamfear » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 am

I really enjoy those pictures like that you have in your reviews. Are you saying there are more than the ones on you tiger shark and max-d 6k reviews. Could you direct me to the other pictures? Now we need a video game with the actual guns, that would be insane.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 am

Like I said, I had trouble finding the old ones. I made 1 or 2 earlier with crappy HUD's in paint, and someone else made one with dual wielding. Given how many there are now, I'm still a bit surprised that iSoaker hasn't created a gallery section for this. (or file it under humor/misc perhaps?)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:23 pm

I think that's hilarious!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 pm

One that I recall is on the Water Warriors Tiger Shark review page. I believe the other is on a review page as well, but don't recall which blaster.

I got the FPS-style pics with reviews which is why they ended up on the review pages as opposed to a place in the gallery. If there's interest, I could either push these images also to the humour section or create a new gallery page for them.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

teamfear

Post by teamfear » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 pm

I would love to see them in the gallery along with those video listings I was talking about.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I put them on my Max-D 6000 and Tiger Shark reviews. The others (along with a few that someone else made, I forgot who exactly) are buried in an old thread I'll have to dig up and look for.

@iSoaker: Speaking of the gallery, it seems that all the pictures I ever submitted are gone. I can't find my stream shots, armory, nor anything else around there.
http://hbww.fateback.com/HBarmory.html contains a small, slightly outdated and incomplete gallery, but if you need to, I can email them to you. (which may take a few emails for high-res pics) Could this have anything to do with my promotion to different usergroups? I wouldn't think so since the board and site are well seperated.

Back to FPS pics, I haven't done much different than in my previous ones. I suppose the new challenges now would be to integrate HUD's from real games, put humorous dialogue in the chat, and depict PROPER battle situations. (it takes a fairly goofy game to have indoor water wars)

And yes, the soakertags on the box were edited in. All editing was done in Macromedia Fireworks, and even though I kind of overused bevel/emboss, I think it turned out fairly nicely.

The colored bar on the top is a modified Halo 3 style soakage monitor. Before, I used a progress bar like meter, but changed it to just color. The inside starts at yellow when dry, and progresses down to dark navy blue. At the same time, the outside bar is supposed to go from green to red to indicate status. I think colors are a good way to indicate soakage, PC, and reservoir gauges since they give you a rough idea of their loads, just like weight does in real soaking. As you may notice, I gave the Max-D 6000's HUD a pressure gauge instead of a color circle.

t3hb1gb0i is my gamertag on Xbox Live, but I don't play that often. (and only play Halo 3 when I do, CoD4 is better on PC anyways)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Holy crap, your Max D 6000 review was pretty in depth. On top of isoaker's review nobody will have to go anywhere else for info. I may have a review up on ssc's archives but I have nothing on the 6000 on my current site as everyone's 6000s have broken around here. I cannot explain how much I HATE Max Ds.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm

Heh, my Max-D's are a few years old and are still on the clock to the trigger break. Perhaps lack of use has delayed that clock from ticking too fast, but when those triggers make their last click, I'll have some work to do. It's unfortunate because the 6000 makes a great light gun yet has more power than most WW's (if you nozzle drill), and the 2000 and 3000's are great sidearms, even if they're only good for 1HK games.

In-depth isn't the issue for my reviews. The issue is that I'm too lazy to really spend time reviewing and thus only came up with 2 of them. (which were for the contests last year) I also may not review guns like the Flash Flood, which are getting over-reviewed, but perhaps it's not a good idea since reviews often miss details such as how to get lousy triggers to work (i.e. Letting them snap shut if leaking, the only temporary solution aside from repair. Another example would be pulling on the Flash Flood valve with more leverage at a certain angle if it's getting sluggish to open)

I've always imagined what the ideal water warfare FPS would look like. Double tap one of the WASD keys to fast-dodge in that direction. Right click to Flash Flood. Middle click to throw water balloons. Hold shift to pump. Earn money from good war performance to spend on new guns and even parts to build homemades with, with all the flow, pressure, etc. calculated for you. Or just play a plain old game with preset weapon kits that you can freely choose from while game hosts can adjust weapon sets, like a squirt gun only game, or a full fledged battlefield with CPS's and where squads can call in artillery strikes. Fight in alpine areas, abandoned indoor structures, on the streets during water festivals, on beaches, on high cliffs with bridges and raging rivers below, or on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean, which falling off of the structure will bring immediate soakage. Oh, and massive naval wars with dozens of paddleboats, WBL's and MOARC's. Just a game that allows you to do what even DX and the Ridgewood Militia haven't done. Water warfare has the potential for all this, but it's too unpopular right now and you won't see a true D-Day style war anytime soon.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:25 pm

With reviews I think that it's good when each person takes a different perspective and contributes new things to the online community. On Hydrowar I tend to look at how each gun works in a watergun fight, how best to use it, how not to use it, etc. I think that isoaker goes more in depth on the gun itself. Each has separate valuable information. If our reviews had the same focus there'd be no point in having more than one review.
There was a super soaker mod being developed for Half Life back in the day but I don't think it ever happened.
As for the popularity of water gun fights, you are right, but I have had 40 person wars before. It works out best when you plan it with some kind of group or club that you are a member of.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 pm

When reviewing, I try to get information on the gun that will be practical to warring, but it's up to the user to decide how to use it. IMO, you can't just go out and say "oh, use this for sniping, or use this for skirmishing", the big facts are handling, weight, balance, stream behavior, etc. that the user must take into account and decide what to do with it.

My largest war totaled around 20 or 25. It was a complete disaster however, but I've taken measures to prevent it from happening again. If you insist, the old report I wrote on it can be found here.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:46 pm

C-A_99 wrote:When reviewing, I try to get information on the gun that will be practical to warring, but it's up to the user to decide how to use it. IMO, you can't just go out and say "oh, use this for sniping, or use this for skirmishing", the big facts are handling, weight, balance, stream behavior, etc. that the user must take into account and decide what to do with it.[/url].
That's why one of the first things you see on the left hand side of all my reviews is "suggested uses". I talk about how it's fared for me and others in battle vs other guns. Weight is an issue for some but not for others, as you've said it's different for everyone. I can run full speed with a Monster XL. Balance is more of an issue I think. At least for me. I find it harder to wield the CPS 2700 than the 3200 because of where the weight is distributed. I call this encumbrance.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:09 am

Well, I finally found what I was looking for. Apparently everything was at WWc!

http://www.waterwarfare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217

It's all in html, before WWc was switched to bb code so images will have to be copied and pasted.

http://www.waterwarfare.com/forum/viewt ... a&start=15

That one contains a ton of random pencil and 3D imagery, and on the last page, the first FPS picture I made.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

AquaNinja

Post by AquaNinja » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 pm

LOL it looks like Counter-strike! These pictures are actually pretty cool I'd like to see more in the future but in this style because it's hilarious!
Soaking the UK! :soaked:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:58 am

I've always made these in a lighthearted more humorous style. However, my art has been getting better, allowing me to make the HUD's look nicer. This may be the best I do, I don't know until I bother making more.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Second huge bump of the week. I never showed you guys the secret to that classic picture. The camera goes on top of the planters cashews can.
IMG_1305s.jpg
IMG_1305s.jpg (234.15 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
HydroBrawl Water Warfare