Wording: Guns vs. Blasters - What's the big deal?!

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:43 pm

Gewehr...brings up images of AUGs(Armee Universal Gewehr, I think is the correct term in German). Dang those are nice! Gotta get me one of those, only they're $3000 a piece these days.

And to keep this on topic, I'd like to see a Super Soaker in the shape of a Steyr AUG, complete with scope. That would rock!

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:56 pm

The reason I'm calling them water guns is because I have always associated Super Soakers or blasters with the pre-2004 linup of Super Soakers. Now, with the ingenious-but-horribly-done SoakerTag, the output of the current 2004-line Super Soakers is neither "super", nor does it "soak" or "blast" water. Also, not many (if any) other brands have a design that could rival the CPSes.

Edited By trekkie00 on 1090675035

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:25 am

i gave my presentation on water guns and i wound up having to be quite politically correct... i didn't want to get on the bad side of any of my counselors

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:58 pm

If they bothered me about such a definition, I would hose them down!

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:59 am

It doesn't matter what they're called they are still the same thing.Well anyway I agree with Falcon it does make them sound like a toy from a 2 dollar shop. It is a waste of time debating over this because it is a Soaker no matter what.Call them what you like.
I am one with the water

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:11 am

It doesn't matter what they're called they are still the same thing.Well anyway I agree with Falcon it does make them sound like a toy from a 2 dollar shop. It is a waste of time debating over this because it is a Soaker no matter what.Call them what you like.

You are right, it really doesn't matter, although it just doens't sound right if you pull out a Monster XL and a non-soaker enthusiust says, "Whoa, that's a big water pistol!" like Falcon said. There really isn't anything wrong with "water gun" although I don't really like saying "water pistols" because of the fact that most Super Soakers aren't pistols.

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:59 pm

I agree with Falcon water pistol or water gun makes it sound like something from a 2 dollar shop. Well anyway call them what you like they are still the same thing.
I am one with the water

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:09 pm

Please use commas.

blueviper42

Post by blueviper42 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:09 pm

I hate it when people say "dont squirt me"

CmndrBob

Post by CmndrBob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:28 pm

Simply put.... Guns kill, water blasters and soakers do not. But as Big Bee stated, it is all about marketing perception and political correctness.
"SATURATE THAT SPONGE"

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:23 pm

THIS is a Squirt Gun:

THIS Is a Water gun/Water Blaster:
_

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:31 pm

^ Any questions? :goofy:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:13 am

I actually have a question , what would you call an XP 215 ? It cannot saturate anyone with the press of the trigger(that is why I don't consider it a blaster) but you still need to pump it(that is why it isn't a water pistol,squirt gun) .
What would you call sometthing like that?
I am one with the water

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:19 am

Good question, Peeko. I'd probably say an XP 215 was a "water gun", but I may be wrong. I'd just simply call it an
XP 215, if I was writing about it or something.

The dark ANNIHILATOR

Post by The dark ANNIHILATOR » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:48 am

I don't care if people call sokaers gun or blasters, aslong they don't compare water battes with actual military activity. Like I mentioned in SSCentral, comparing water battes with actual Warfare is like comparing water ballon attacks with 9/11. Its just inapropiate and delusional.

I saw an old soaker website(its not online anymore), where there was a poem or diary exert about a water battle that resembled a vietnam battle. I know it sounds mean what I say now, but those loosers should break that prozac pill in half. All the camo clothes won't turn that plastic toy into an AK47. "You are squirting around with a plastic toy at friends! Its not shooting soldiers and cilillians!" Forgeting that is just bad taste.

Edited By The dark ANNIHILATOR on 1091350520

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:23 am

Peeko wrote:I actually have a question , what would you call an XP 215 ? It cannot saturate anyone with the press of the trigger(that is why I don't consider it a blaster) but you still need to pump it(that is why it isn't a water pistol,squirt gun) .
What would you call sometthing like that?

You'd call it an XP 215 of course. There isn't really any point in calling it a 'water pistol' especially if it actually has a name. I also prefer to use the term 'squirt pistol' for those little 2 dollar ones that don't really have names because the term 'water pistol' is said way too often. Relatives come over, they call them water pistols, even the Monster XL. My cousins call them water pistols. Friends call them water pistols. People walking past my house call them water pistols. The freakin' Guiness Book of Records calls them water pistols. It's really starting to get on my nerves now. And 'water gun' is almost as bad. Why aren't they at least called what they are - Super Soakers? Or water blasters? What's everyone's problem? My dictionary defines a pistol as "a small firearm used with one hand", so how could it have evolved into a term that is used all the time? I don't quite get it.

Edited By Falcon on 1091352327

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:30 am

Yeah, it drives me nuts. As amazing as it seems, I saw a MXL on eBay not listed as "Super Soaker" but "water pistol". What is even sadder is that it sold well even with that listing. :(

As Falcon said, "pistol" just isn't appropriate for any CPS and most XPs. Why not "water machine gun"? :p
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:17 am

My dictionary defines a pistol as "a small firearm used with one hand"

That term really doesn't apply to SS, because they use one arm to fire the trigger, and another to pump.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:06 am

I think most of the key points on this topic have now been brought up and this thread is starting to get too pointlessly analytical.

For the sake of the forums, the terms "water gun", "water blaster", "water pistol", "soaker", etc. are pretty much interchangable the way some people call carbonated drinks "pop", "soda", or simply "Coke".

The reason the term "Super Soaker" isn't used to define water blasters is that "Super Soaker" is a registered trademark, thus only denotes one brand of soakers. A Water Warrior blaster is no "Super Soaker", though a particular model may soak "superly". :goofy:

Anyhow, while I'm currently leaving the thread open, unless someone has something really significant to add (not just some other definition or jargon point), I hope this thread fades from activity.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:19 pm

CmndrBob wrote:Simply put.... Guns kill, water blasters and soakers do not. But as Big Bee stated, it is all about marketing perception and political correctness.
I find that untrue. Guns themselvs,are cool to see/look at/have, but the bulits are dangerous. So no bulits=cool and bulits=sick, killing machienes.As for the topic, I call them "water guns" because I have no fear for guns, just bulits.