The mechanics of a CPS 3200.

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
The Legacy

The mechanics of a CPS 3200.

Post by The Legacy » Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 am

Hey all. It's one of my first posts here, and I have some information that you guys may like.

Recently, I had to pop apart my CPS 3200 due to a pressurization/release problem that was causing untold issues. In the end, I found that it had to do with the feeding end of the soaker, as well as the hose itself. But, since I haven't reassembled the parts yet, I figured I'd post an image of the inside of it, for both reference of the CPS 3200, and reference for the CPS series as a whole (I saw an opened picture of a 4100, and they have an uncanny resemblance).

You'll also see a repair I did to the front of it, when the selection nozzle broke off one day. I was able to fix it by screwing a screw into the plastic the first time, then when it wore off, I replaced it with a more permanent bolt and glue. If you're looking for how to do the repair, I can post it in a future workshop post.

Anyway, the image. Here it is:
Attachments
The Interior Components of a CPS 3200
The Interior Components of a CPS 3200
CPS-3200 Interior Specs (Compressed).jpg (206.8 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

isoaker

Re: The mechanics of a CPS 3200.

Post by isoaker » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am

Nice pic and good job on the repair! When you get a chance and feel inspired, I'd really like to learn a little more about exactly what you did. As well, with a more complete repair guide, I'd like your permission to eventually repost it together with any related images you have on iSoaker.com.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 am

The pressure release valve is the thing on the right next to the pump.
ownage

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 28, 2008 12:11 pm

What's wrong (or maybe was wrong) with the feeding end? You didn't specify whether or not it was repaired. If it wasn't repaired yet I'm sure we could help.

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Nice pic and good job on the repair! When you get a chance and feel inspired, I'd really like to learn a little more about exactly what you did. As well, with a more complete repair guide, I'd like your permission to eventually repost it together with any related images you have on iSoaker.com.
Sounds good. Just so you know, I've done the following repairs:

- Replaced the plastic screw cap from the purple hose to the backpack, with a metal one after the original broke.
- Fixed (twice) the pin that holds the head of the blaster onto the rest of the gun.
- Fix(ing?) a pressurization problem.

When I have the time, I'll write something up.
emperor_james wrote:The pressure release valve is the thing on the right next to the pump.
...I thought that one was simply a one way valve? I thought the large one at the front of it was the release (that controls the shooting)? I should have added that in.
Ben wrote:What's wrong (or maybe was wrong) with the feeding end? You didn't specify whether or not it was repaired. If it wasn't repaired yet I'm sure we could help.
Actually, I'm not so sure. What the problem was, was that when you tried to pump it, the pump handle would become extremely hard to pump very quickly, and it wasn't pulling water. Also, it seemed like when I pulled the trigger, it wouldn't fire. Turned out to be that there was nothing in it to shoot.

I tried putting this assembly into a sink full of water, and it filled fine. I plugged in the hose and it caused that problem again. I think the core of the problem is the hose itself. However, when I forced water through it, it started being able to pump again. So, because of that, I'm at a loss. Maybe the black end of the hose is broken from wear and tear?

I'd like some input. :)

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Can't quite tell from your explanation, but does water flow through the hose when the hose is disconnected, but the hose valve is in the open position? Parts of the problem sound either like the hose is clogged or the hose attachment is not sealing properly.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:07 pm

That could be a clog in the valve/hose, faulty check valve, the switch being closed, inadequate lubrication, and maybe other things I'm not thinking of. Most likely it's something with the tubing or the switch being closed or faulty. This page I wrote before might help: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/hard_to_pump.html

If the switch is open and faulty try blowing into the tube to see if it's clogged. If it's clogged you might have luck with some plumbing clog tools like a snake/auger. Feed it through until you can remove the clog. I've also heard of someone using highly concentrated HCl to clear out a clog, but I can't recommend that because it might eat away the plastic too.

If the hose is slightly clogged it can change how the clog is oriented from time to time so the partial clog becomes a complete blockage. I think that's what's happening.

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Can't quite tell from your explanation, but does water flow through the hose when the hose is disconnected, but the hose valve is in the open position? Parts of the problem sound either like the hose is clogged or the hose attachment is not sealing properly.

The water doesn't flow through the hose into the gun, no. When the trigger is down, it didn't seem to have been able to fire, but it turned out to be an issue with there being nothing in there in the first place!

Yeah, I'm thinking the hose attachment doesn't seal properly, like maybe if the button on the end of it isn't being pressed, causing it to not transfer water.

By the way, on a side note, one thing I was thinking, shouldn't regular metal plumbing parts be able to replace broken CPS parts?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:40 pm

By the way, on a side note, one thing I was thinking, shouldn't regular metal plumbing parts be able to replace broken CPS parts?
That depends on the part. Some things can be replaced with exactly the same part. Vinyl tubing can be replaced with new vinyl tubing. O-rings can be replaced with new O-rings. Screws can be replaced with screws. Some other things require close substitutions to be made. CPS bladders can be replaced with latex tubing that can be ordered off the internet. Firing valves can be replaced with other valves. Broken pump rods can be replaced with a homemade pump rod.

Just about everything can be replaced with a homemade equivalent but it might not perform exactly the same.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 28, 2008 4:58 pm

The water doesn't flow through the hose into the gun, no. When the trigger is down, it didn't seem to have been able to fire
But when the hose is detached from the blaster, does water freely flow through the hose?

As Ben noted, parts can be repaired and/or replaced as needed. Any info and insight you can share with us on your repair job would be definitely appreciated, of course. Your experiences and findings will likely prove useful to others who end up encountering similar problems on other blasters.

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Here's an update. For some odd reason, the CPS 3200's hose self-corrected its problem. Quite possibly, it just wasn't sealing properly. In any case, it works fine. Really odd. o_O

Anyway, I'm going to put up a few repair/retrofit posts. :)