2008: Year of the Pump Action Water Blaster

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

2008: Year of the Pump Action Water Blaster

Post by isoaker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 am

Looking at what's new for 2008, it really seems like the main thing on manufacturer's minds last year were pump-action models as these make up the majority of the new items we see this year.

Hasbro Inc. has only two new Super Soakers this year:
Super Soaker Bottle Shot
Super Soaker Quick Blast

Buzz Bee Toys Inc. has a number of new Water Warriors blasters this year, but the majority are pump action:
--Pump Action Blasters (7)
Avenger
Hydro Pulse
Power Pulse
Hydro Blast
M16
Shark
Power Squirt

--Motorized
Jet (1)

----------------------
As can be readily seen by the listing above, the new releases from two of the main manufacturers shows predominantly pump action blasters as the new ones for this year. What the reasons behind the focusing on pump-action only were can only be guessed at. My current assumptions include lack of new ideas as well as some other factors that were affecting the manufacturers that resulted in less time/money available for developing new air or elastic/CPS-based blasters. We can only hope the future offers better releases, but as always, time will tell.

On the bright side, though there are no new air-pressure or elastic/CPS-pressure based blasters from either Hasbro Inc. or Buzz Bee Toys Inc. this year, the majority of last year's models are still being produced and sold this year, thus the average user should still be able to find a decent selection of stock soakers available in stores.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Re: 2008: Year of the Pump Action Water Blaster

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:58 pm

It is a pain that there are so many new pump action blasters, as opposed to air pressure or CPS, coming out this year. I personally am thankful however just for the sheer amount of new blasters. Looks like this year may also be the year of the piston conversion blaster as well.

http://www.sscentral.org/mods/piston_conversion.html

Jim likes SS's

Post by Jim likes SS's » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:41 am

I cant believe theres only going to be two new super soakers this year. That sucks

Jim
Armoury:

Flash Flood [everyone's got to start somewhere :)]

Soon to include:

Arctic Blast
Sneak Attack
Aquapack

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:43 pm

@cobralex:

The piston conversion article was one I considered not adding because it's usefulness is very limited, but it will work okay some some water guns.. I do not recommend it for most piston water guns. Some water guns will be suited to piston conversion, but it's only worthwhile in my opinion if the pump capacity is over 1 ounce. The Vaporizer I modified had a 0.75 ounce pump capacity, which was terrible because the pump was not only harder because it was wider, but it pumped less water. Piston guns are designed to push water out at a pressure lower than their pressurized brothers, so to pressurize a chamber, the pump will be harder. That's one reason to not convert.

The other problem is that modifying a piston gun to have a pressure system is the same thing as making a homemade water gun minus the pump, one check valve, and the water reservoir. Too much work for modifications in my opinion. The point of modifications to to soup up an existing system. If you're replacing most of the existing system, you're working too hard and should just go homemade.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Jim likes SS's wrote:I cant believe theres only going to be two new super soakers this year. That sucks

Jim
Not really, cause the two they have look like crap, and we don't need more. :|

-Gold
HydroHawks Command CenterNEW REPORT! APARTMENT MASSACRE!

"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Commander Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." (Be strong, brave the water.) -Motto Of the HydroHawks

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Not sure if this si the right place to post this, but it looks like Hasbro have also done yet another Max D 6000 recolour this year, looks kinda icy looking:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-SOAKER-MAX-D- ... dZViewItem

So while it is not all fully pump action this year, it is mostly still.

If only they rereleased an old CPS gun, oh well.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 pm

That looks cool. It is nothing that I can immediately recall having seen before. The MXD6k is a great gun. Glad to see it still around.

Croc

Post by Croc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:25 pm

If only the old CPS guns were released...

Anyhow, we are (I guess) focusing on more guns that are an instant shoot, as opposed to pump - shoot guns. That's just what they want to do this year. The recoloured WW line looks incredible. BBT is doing great things this year.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am

Re-releases of old CPS blasters would be nice, but I tend to prefer seeing new designs.

BBT did some good things for this year, but I am not that impressed with the new water blasters they have to offer. While some look promising (i.e. the Water Warriors Avenger and Water Warriors Jet), having no new air pressure of hydro-power-based blasters was a let down. Of course, from what my understanding is, 2008 is an adjustment year in a sense. Many things have changed in the global economy and it is affecting what they can and cannot do from a cost standpoint. That said, they do a great job at maximizing quality for cost so I'm not too worried. The new colour schemes this year as well as new packaging helps make their water blasters just look slicker even if many of them are the same moulds as before.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:27 pm

this sucks, piston guns are garbage. i dont really like the hydro power guns either, so i might have to look into modding the new ff like thing
ownage