Achtung Panzer

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am

After some work and patience, the Tank Project has produced a basic chassis:

The gaps have yet to be filled in of course, I'll probably work on it later, along with the roof and rear, but for now the areas with heavy armour are finished. The light/destructible armour areas as unfilled in the picture can be done when I'm less lazy.

The roof is actually optional depending on which variant we modify this to be. The Gun Platform will forgo the ceiling to add more gun mounts, while a IFV design will need a roof (with hatch). The triangular holes may be filled with either more panels, or polymer groundsheets, maybe incorporating some large lights for night battles, or even more guns.

The rear is yet unfilled as it's meant to be the destructable armour, consisting of a single layer of tough cardboard. Therefore it'll die, but at the same time not too fast. Being a basic chassis, it's also devoid of any furniture, but that'll come later.

But other than that, the Panzerkampfwagen is coming along fine, and (I reckon) is one of the first of its kind, in the water war field. With a thickness of about 60mm of armour at certain points, its heavy armour should be able to withstand hoses, water guns and maybe even direct-fire WBLs. Of course, like real tanks, lack of infantry support would be bad, since opposing players could easily out manuever it and pin the crew inside, forcing them to close hatches and gunports. But with a bunch of people keeping enemy infantry out of close range, the tank could lend some helpful support fire or cover, as well as the ability to advance down lanes and corridors under fire.

We therefore proudly present the beginnings of armoured warfare to the soaker community.

Yay.

Please clap :goofy:
118th Urban Corp

Adeptus Exterminatus Extremis, Noobis Exitus Proxima

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am

Wow! Nice start for a tank. I don't think anyone's made anything like this before. There's been discussion about this from what I remember, but nothing actually made.

By the way, for those who want a closer look at the tank, go here: http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8324/img9967sz8.jpg

Let us know when everything is completed and how it works in a battle. :cool:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Nice casters! :goofy:

I recall you talking about this before, but had no idea how far you had taken this project; neat stuff! Would be nice to see it in action or at least manned with a typical number of people who'd use it for their mobile protection on the field.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm thoroughly impressed!~
I can't wait to see more pictures of it, both upon completion, and whenever you happen to take battle pictures as well- those would be awesome.
Good work, seriously!

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:43 am

Took it for a long run, at varying speeds, and found some problems:

1. Certain sections of pipe coming off at times
2. The pipes didn't always fit in perfectly tight

Solved with a few lengths of string.

Wheels a little stubborn, but i can loosen the caster screws a little.

Actual combat would probably come next year, when games restart. Right now, I'm wondering what to furnish it with, maybe lights, ammo shelves maybe even a little fan for hot days. But once the games start, then maybe I could cross-reference theories made about 2 years ago.
118th Urban Corp

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 am

So, just a question or so;
it is powered by your feet? [I mean, I don't see any powering mechanisms]
people inside it will be standing up during operation?
considering that people will be standing, is the height adequate for extended combat periods?

Looks great to me, I'm just curious.

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 am

Yup, it's feet powered, flintstone style, crew stands up.

During heavy combat, the hatches may be closed and the crew would be forced to be crouch a little, which would be uncomfortable for extended periods. Thus, the top is openable during small engagements and out-of-combat (like supply duties), and the whole crew would be able to stand normally.

But strictly speaking with hatches closed, the height is inadequate for taller people, and uncomfortable for most during extended periods, which hopefully can be avoided in favour of quick decisive pushes.

But during support fire with WBLs, the crew can open hatches and fire at leisure.
118th Urban Corp

DX

Post by DX » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:58 am

OMG I'm so jealous! Of course not to have a chance to be in it, but rather a chance to fight it...

New tactics! :laugh:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Personally, I'd try to go with a tricycle or quadcycle design, but that'd probably be too hard to make. Either way, you've got an interesting, potentially useful weapons platform there, when people aren't hiding and shooting from inside. Looks to be useful for quick-deploying cover as well.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:46 am

Now that the new year's starting, along with the recruitment drive and annual inaugural wargames, I hope to get some pictures of the tank for the online community.

In the meantime, would anyone like to suggest feasible types/variants of vehicle mounted weapons? Some input would be good, or at the least give ideas. Of course, appropriate role (e.g. close-in combat/support fire) and usage would also be great. Bear in mind that mounted weapons can of course be way heavier than usual, with the frame to support weight and carry additional ammo. Where they should be mounted and general input is also welcome.
118th Urban Corp

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:21 am

For vehicle-mounted weapons, I figure one of the simplest ones I'd recommend would be a slingshot-type water balloon launcher or two. Of course, being a homemade tank, hooking up some homemade air pressure blasters as side turrets might also be something worth considering, though not sure whether this would be as easy to use as simply giving those manning the tank portals from which to fire out from.

Looking forward to more pictures you can share!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Jim likes SS's

Re: Achtung Panzer

Post by Jim likes SS's » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Anything happening with this tank? Haven't been any updates for a while , which is a shame as I was looking forward to some.

Jim
Armoury:

Flash Flood [everyone's got to start somewhere :)]

Soon to include:

Arctic Blast
Sneak Attack
Aquapack