Tips on making a WBL - Newbie needs tips on how to build a WBL.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi there!

I need a Water Bomb Launcher that can shoot at least 100m and be pretty accurate. It needs to be easily moveable but doesn't need to be hand held. A maxium crew of four. Nothing that's going to cost a pretty penny, £30 tops. Any tips?

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:25 pm

Hmm... If you want accuracy, it's going to have to be a PVC cannon, which only requires a crew of 1. (though more can speed up the reloading process, depending on equiptment and the launcher itself)

But sounds like you're going for a muilti-man slingshot. Accuracy isn't great on those, but the range should be able to hit about 100m without too much trouble. (if you're using it as artillery) Personally, I've never made a good strike with my PVC cannon, and haven't used muilti-man slingshots either, but most people here prefer the PVC cannons. (For most of those cannons you can load in several balloons simultaneously to make up for the poor rate of fire, allowing for quite a bombardment. If you use lower pressure and load in just one balloon, it can be used for sniping, but it's hard to aim since the projectile curves over a distance and travels rather slowly, and safety may be a concern)

Edited By C-A_99 on 1185647154
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:50 pm

What sort of range does a PVC cannon offer?

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Pikey wrote:What sort of range does a PVC cannon offer?
200-600ft approximately if you use a douchenator.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:51 am

Any, quick, low tech weapons I could use? (One up from a slingshot)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:05 pm

You could throw a water balloon. The balloon would not go 100 meters, but it could go 30 meters without trouble. Accuracy would be a problem, but accuracy always is a problem with water balloon launchers.

:cool:

Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Basically, I need an artillery piece that can shoot a target far away without it being very high tech. Something to get them to keep their heads down.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:17 pm

There's nothing up from a slightshot that's less than an air cannon aside from possibly a catapult or trebuchet. There's loads of catapult designs on the internet. Search Google and you'll find a ton. If you live in the woods and have a few people to help out, these can be constructed relatively rapidly. Range can be anywhere from 100 to many hundred feet. Several years ago I helped build one that could shoot perhaps 200 meters.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:35 pm

Water Balloon Mortar

This is along the lines of in-between a slingshot and an airpressure WBL. However, its range (at 15-20 feet) is rather pitiful since most can throw a water balloon farther than that. :goofy:

My thought would be to combine a sling-shot-type mechanism with a tube-housing to create a bazooka-shaped device that is sling powered, but with a firing mechanism/latch. Building something like that, however, would take a little creativity. I haven't found any person or company that makes such a device yet.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Its interesting to note that a company is actually trying to make something like this, but that thing is quite pathetic.
As you said Isoaker, its easy to throw a balloon much farther than that.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:18 pm

I have tried using 3" PVC pipe and an elastic band used for exercising, but that project failed miserably due to lack of power. (the range was horrid, about 15-20ft or so) Lots of design effort would be required to make such a design work. Basically, the idea is to combine the high rate of fire with elastics, with the accuracy of a PVC launcher. The more ideal design, which has probably never been done before, would involve stretching something quite a bit and releasing it to fire the balloon.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

saylrp

Post by saylrp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:42 pm

I made a simplistic air pressure cannon for a science fair project that shoot tennis balls (though it was based on a WBL design). It shot fairly accurately to a distance of about 250ft, which is about 55-65 feet short of 100m. I think I got it from a link somewhere here. It doesn't shoot that far, but it is more compact than other designs and is just as accurate, usualy hit within a 15/20 ft radius. I think it would go farther if itdiddnt leak, and I think the water ballons will be more inacurate than tennis balls but you can put several in at a time, unfortuanately I couldn't help you because I lost all my pictures and the actual launcher is broken :(

As for a hybrid pvc cannon sling shot, someone could do a ballista type thing, with elastic bands that pull the actual launcer down a tube, railed of couse so the ballon doesnt pop in the slits (or you could wrap the ballon in a paper towel), and then slingshoted it out of the barrel. It would basicaly be a 3 person launcher only without the human error, however it would be difficult to set up, and would be more or less a permanant station in a battle... wow I should try to make that...

{edit} It was this one, or a t least very simmilar
http://www.soakermedia.net/water_balloon_launcher.php

Edited By saylrp on 1185754249

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:12 pm

@saylrp: interesting insight and welcome to the forums!

In terms of your WBL, if shooting tennis balls, was it using pressurized air or some other form of propellant to fire?

As for the hybrid-PVC-slingshot type cannon, I think the trick may be to find good elastics for the sling-section and to use a larger diameter pipe such that it would not need slits along the sides of the pipe; rather, the balloon holder with stretched slings would fit into the barrel.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

rbertaut44

Post by rbertaut44 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:22 pm

My frind Oleg's got a catapolt haven't tride it but he says it can shoot from the start of his block to the end. :laugh:
Normal Pasition: Camander/Hevy Forword
Main Gun: CPS 3200| Backup Gun: Aquashock Seckrit Strike
Arsonal: CPS 3200, 100 oz Aqua Pack, Max D 2000, Water Ball SL 175 and ML 100, Sheald Blaster 1000 and 3000, Aquashock Seckrit Strike, Healix, and Storm 2 in1.

Broken guns: A lot

Jim likes SS's

Re:

Post by Jim likes SS's » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Water Balloon Mortar

This is along the lines of in-between a slingshot and an airpressure WBL. However, its range (at 15-20 feet) is rather pitiful since most can throw a water balloon farther than that. :goofy:

My thought would be to combine a sling-shot-type mechanism with a tube-housing to create a bazooka-shaped device that is sling powered, but with a firing mechanism/latch. Building something like that, however, would take a little creativity. I haven't found any person or company that makes such a device yet.

I made the mistake of buying one of those things, the box had a printing error and said 80ft, so i was pee'd off when the water balloon shot out the end and hit my foot :S (sarcastic, its not that bad)

Jim
Armoury:

Flash Flood [everyone's got to start somewhere :)]

Soon to include:

Arctic Blast
Sneak Attack
Aquapack

teamfear

Re: Tips on making a WBL - Newbie needs tips on how to build a W

Post by teamfear » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:23 am

About making a WB mortar. A handheld device can only strech so far but if you were to make a mounted base defence cannon with the largest type of PVC Pipe you can find. (5' or up) The cannon could be about 7 feet long. You could mount it to a wheeled stand to move it from fight to fight. It would have to be able to change the angle of fire. I'll post a quick drawing in a bit.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Have you actually made something like that, or are you just speculating?
ownage

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:16 pm

The type of low-tech thing I use most often is a lax stick. While you could probably throw a balloon a comparable distance...a lax stick delivers it with more speed.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

teamfear

Post by teamfear » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:37 am

@emperior_james. I have designed it and drawn it but havent built it.