Hot Glue - Will hot glue work as well as epoxy?

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:32 am

I've been getting into a little modding and light work on guns, as well as repairs. I've gone through my first few packages of epoxy pretty fast, and I'm wondering if hot glue would be better. Besides the one downside of waiting for the gun to heat up, hot glue seems a better option as it's easier to apply, and the gun allows you to be more precise.

It also is much more inexpensive than epoxy.

Are there any other downsides to hot glue that I'm missing? Is it waterproof?

See this link for one of the guns that I've been considering.

What do y'all think?

Edited By cobralex297 on 1185291219

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 pm

I would suggest getting a hot glue gun.

I, myself, am a nerfer.

Yes, that does mean that I mod nerf guns.

I mod nerf guns even more than I mod soakers.

I like keeping stock soakers.

Nerf guns are easier to mod, IMO.

I mostly use the hot glue guns for integrating nerf guns, and making homemade nerf darts.

But you can't make homemade water.

I'm getting a little off topic so I'll end this now.

So, a hot glue gun would definitely come in handy with any problems or modifications you have.

Buy a hot glue gun, NOW!

Edited By hydroblitz on 1185330792
Soak On!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 pm

Hot glue is a bad choice because it doesn't bond with the plastics. You need a glue that is bonding. Bonding glues such as epoxy make everything one solid piece. I can take off hot glue with my fingers. Hot glue works fine for Nerf guns in some applications, but it's terrible for pressure.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Okay. Thanks a ton, Ben_.
I'll keep your comments in mind, if I ever mod Nerf guns, Hydroblitz.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 pm

Ok... Haha! How come you said thanks to Ben and not me? I gave you some information. Humph.
Soak On!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:42 am

As Ben noted, for repairs, modding, etc., you want to be using adhesive that's good for plastics. Hot glue is okay for porous material like paper and light wood constructions, but is rather lousy at bonding plastics.

For the repairs I've done, I've used either epoxy for larger areas or super glue for point applications (like repairing a snapped pump rod). To make applications more precise with epoxy, I typically squeeze out and mix the two components on a piece of cardboard or thick paper, then use either a strong toothpick or barbecue stick to help me apply it to the parts I wish to attach. Post-attachment clamping for overnight yields optimal results.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Will do.
Although this post was not created specifically in regard to one of my newly-partially-functioning soakers, I think that I'll most likely use Super Glue to fix the pump-rod on my SC500. I say partially functioning because it still works now but is QFD dependent.