Considering retiring

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:58 am

This just isn't working out too well. I rejoined water wars hoping to make up for all the crap I went through as a kid, to possibly reconnect with those days. I just managed to get my best friends ever over for a war, but I could tell they had other plans (they said they wanted to war, but we did all sorts of other dumb stuff before we even got around to it, and they gave up way too quickly).

I see them spending the day doing all this new-age stuff like myspace (something I don't care about) and just randomly browsing youtube (which I also don't care about), and... they're way happier than I am. They have hordes of friends while they're the only friends I have. They don't need to impress anyone.

I see now that it's just too late to reconnect with my old days now; I'm too old, and I can't recruit neighborhood kids without my friends' help, unless I want people calling the cops on me left and right (stupid paranoid South Lyon hicks). I'm better off trying to find friends through Armored Core 4, the only popular thing at which I'm even remotely skilled enough to impress anyone my own age.

But one thing is for certain: this will probably be my last water war season. After this summer, I'll probably NEVER have another vacation like this for the rest of my life so I don't know how I'll ever find time for this.

So... I think it'd be easiest to just retire now. I just don't see any other solution. I don't know how you guys do it, but it's just not happening with me.

Edited By Evangel on 1183986027

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am

Sorry to hear that. It's tough with those around you are not so supportive. Me, I just keep looking for opportunities, but don't have huge expectations. Currently, I've been working on getting my co-workers interested enough to hold a small FFA during some weekend around where I work. If it turns out well, perhaps future ones can be scheduled. It's hard to get those who prefer other things interested in water warfare. However, it's also surprising sometimes to find out those you didn't think might enjoy it actually do.

Whether to retire or not should be of your personal interest. When I try to get more interested in water warfare, it's not to relive some aspect of my youth that I feel I missed out on, it's more to make fun memories of my present time which I aim for.

I'm 30+ and the people I have gotten interested are between 25-40... the bulk of my recent battles have been comprised of older individuals. I'd say don't force your current friends, but I don't think you'd need to "retire" if you do enjoy water warfare. You just need to have patience in finding the right crowd to enjoy that pasttime with.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Myspace and Youtube? Thats sooo 2006. Savages... . :;):

Actualy its probably hardest to convert teens and young adults(Highschool college) to non-mainstream activities. Especialy if its envolves toys. There are still to many insecurities around that age. I don't think its a specific coincidence that isoaker convinces people in the late 20s - 30s to try water battles. At that age, you don't realy care what teenagers think. Or even care about teenagers period.

Now having said that, if soakers don't make you happy, ditch it. It certianly is not a friend magnet hobby in your age. You said yourself you wanted more friends and be happy with other people. Then you have to adapt to the environment that you want to spend time in. Example: if you want to be with the prity cheerleader, you have to be a football player, not the chessclub president. As cruel as it sounds, that how society works. Of course you could do whatever you want, but you won't get far if you want to co-exist well with alot of people.

edit: On a sidenote, I don't realy get why Myspace got so huge in the first place. If you want to socialize, do it in person. If you have over 500 friends on your myspace account, then you don't have enough friends in real live. And unless you don't care about friends, that would makes you a loser.

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1184033789

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 am

Considering retiring? Don't. Life is too damn short and death is to damn long to live your life for someone else. Unless you HONESTLY want to, don't give up.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:59 am

Hmm, that's too bad. Though instead of "retiring" per se, you could just stay less active, and when the chance comes, resume. As a younger member, I can't fully sympathize with your difficulties, but I suppose it's your personal choice. Although if time permits, stay on the forums. Or even participate in RP wars if real-life lacks battles. I highly doubt anyone really cares or notices each other's age in the online world, at least not as much. So even if you decide to retire, do stay around here!
118th Urban Corp

Adeptus Exterminatus Extremis, Noobis Exitus Proxima

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:22 am

Yeah, I typically would go inactive as opposed to "retiring". Just keep the guns, maybe sell a few if you need money, and have a war when you're able to.

And those police callers should get fined pretty badly for that kind of false alarming. It's no different than pulling a fire alarm when no one's even smoking. No different than calling the cops because someone is outside on the sidewalk. Seriously, one has to be ridiculously stupid to misidentify a brightly colored hunk of plastic that doesn't remotely look like a weapon.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:48 am

NO DUDE, they KNEW it was a squirt gun, they called the cops on me cuz they were afraid I was gonna squirt their kids!!

I know because last year my friend came across the caller and she was all like "you're not going to squirt the kids are you??" I'm pretty sure it's the uniform that scared them. I wear a full-body ninja uniform.

@ZOCCOZ: I DO like soakers; it's something we all enjoyed as kids and was easily our favorite thing. I got back into it because I knew I'd be great at it, but what's the point if there's nobody to play with? All my best friends live pretty much an hour away from each other, and one lives on the complete opposite shore of the Michigan! So yeah, it's ridiculously hard to get everyone together (although I did pull it off last weekend), and even then I can tell they've grown apart from it; they say they really want to, but I can kinda tell otherwise.

Edited By Evangel on 1184086478

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:23 pm

Try going without the ninja suit. You'll probably get farther that way. Certain concessions can and should be made to avoid unduly alarming people.

I hope the police laughed this person (why doesn't it surprise me it was a woman (no offense to any women)) out of town.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:37 pm

They deserve to be alarmed if they're that paranoid. ><;

But anyway, the ninja uniform helps too. I got my friends over and Gonzo and I were on a team, and some outdoor campers saw the two of us sneaking around trying to find the other team. They seemed pretty entertained.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:04 pm

It's always sad to see another one go. I'm gonna suggest that you push on and not give up for a little longer, if you're lucky, your spirit will be rejuvenated.

I don't mean to be a downer or negate what i just said, but if you happen to want to sell any soakers as a result of your retiring, i'll be gladly interested.

I really wouldn't retire though, there's so many great people here.