Is this worth it? - Haters/bashers

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:18 am

So far at every war we've been at, there's been some random group of punks driving around laughing at us and call us names and ****. Also one person just asked me, "Why don't you play airsoft instead? It's way better."

This makes me think back to high school. All throughout my years there, I've been picked on and beat up by just about everyone in my school. Why? Only because I was into Pokemon at the time! They were at it EVERY SINGLE DAY for all four years, and only got better and better at it each day!!

I don't ever want to go through that **** again. Those were the four most hellish years of my life. And it didn't stop there, it continued with YuGiOh!. All throughout my entire life people everywhere have been putting me down, and sometimes even beat me up, just because I liked something that they didn't. And I don't want water wars to end up being another chapter in this, with people shouting "Water guns suck! Airsoft's better!" and stupid **** like that. I'd like to think that my car was keyed randomly, but what if it was actually specifically targeted at me?

I dunno, I think I should get out of this before I get killed.

Edited By Evangel on 1181629454

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:26 am

You want to alter something you do for fun, simply because a bunch of *expletive* insulted you? Why let them win? Tell them to go perform an anatomical impossibility, and go back to doing what you want.

NEVER change for anyone. NEVER let anyone control you that you can ignore or hurt.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:28 am

Easier said than done though. You can't just ignore people like this, I know. Eventually, they WILL just start beating you up over it. I really don't want this to escalate to that point, especially if I have to have my car repaired everytime we have a water war.

Edited By Evangel on 1181629830

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:11 am

If they're just punks hanging out their car window and yelling crap, ignore them. They're not going to beat you up over a waterfight unless they're far more than your garden-variety jerks.

Find some way to secure your car. Do you have to use it in all your wars? Is there a place to fight away from the creeps? Did they key it in your driveway while you were fighting in the neighborhood?

I can try and help if I know more specifics. Also, what's your age (ballpark, if you're uncomfortable with it)? You might be able to pick up some MACE or something in case these jerks get physical.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:08 am

Wow, I'd hate to be in your shoes. It must be terrible to have people beat up on you for doing what you really love.

Do they only pick on you, or do they pick on everybody who plays? If it's just you, is it because you have lots of water guns, a ninja suit, and a nice car? I certainly hope not. :)

At any rate, I'd trust Adrian. Consider him a resident self-defense expert. :cool:

EDIT: In response to the question in the title of this thread, I'd say it's worth it to continue playing, at least as long as you feel comfortable doing it. It sounds like you've invested a lot, in terms of time/money/effort, and it sounds like you've made some nice friends. :)

Edited By Silence on 1181661143

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm

I've been picked on often too, but mostly not to the point where it gets physical. As said, just keep your game going and if they take it too far (i.e. on your property, not getting off and/or damaging stuff), call the police or something. Just remember, they don't have rights to stop your games as you're not even doing anything to them.

I don't know if getting legal's a good idea (don't seem to be that clear on the situation, other than car damages), but something's got to be done.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 pm

I sometimes say that it takes a man to play with a child's toy. Most people who choose airsoft or paintball do so simply because they're looking for some "cool" factor more than the actual war factor. Despite what they might want you to think, it actually takes a lot more guts to play with water guns than with airsoft of paintball simply due to jerks like them. Just do what's fun for you.

If they're looking for something really tough, why don't you suggest playing with real guns or joining the armed forces or something? I mean, if you're tough you can take real bullets, right? :goofy:

Loumeyer

Post by Loumeyer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:47 pm

Well, since I'm like wayyyyyyy younger then all of you other guys, I haven't been picked on. Yet.

Actualy, the main event at my birthday party is a soak-fest, and there are like 35 other kids.

Don't quit just some jerks are making fun of you. Ambush 'em sometime. :soaked:
ImageImage

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Well... as it turns out... my mom is one of those jerks, and possibly the worst one.

She thinks that because I'm an adult I'm forbidden from doing anything I used to do as a kid! "Why don't you come to the adult world?!!"

She's such a prick, I dunno how I could hate her so much but I do. I didn't have a good childhood but now that I'm an adult it's 10x worse! I hate being an adult, but at least now I have abilities that I didn't have back then, like a strong physical body (back then I was easily THE weakest kid in any of my schools) and an excellent income, as well as strong tactical knowledge. So by God I'm gonna use these abilities to see what could've been different.

@Loumeyer: Yeah, ambush them and watch them come back with paintball guns or even REAL guns! These people are complete thugs, I know how they think; they'll kill us without second thought, they don't give two ****s how much trouble they get in, they could literally get on death row and wouldn't give a crap.

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:08 pm

That really sucks Evangel. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want to. Not even moms.
I'm lucky because I'm young enough to keep soaking without any critisizm, but old enough to understand tactics.

Good Luck and never stop soaking. (unless YOU want you to).

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1181934541
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Loumeyer

Post by Loumeyer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Show her these forums. Show her that there are other people, older then you, that still do water wars.
ImageImage

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:30 pm

She's not going to care. She's got her own opinion of what's right for adults, and we may disagree, but there's not much we can do to change her mind. I'm sure she knows Evangel's friends are also young adults (I believe that's the right term; correct me if I'm wrong).

I wouldn't worry about these people though, Evangel - at least, I'd try not to. You're having fun, and making up for your childhood, and that's what counts. Once again, you've got a bunch of good friends and they like water wars too. :cool:

I'd try to passively resist what everybody says. When those thugs come along, just admit you and your friends are "losers," and let the thugs move on. I do that often with people. No point getting in tough-guy fights and testing peoples' egos. They'll move on, and they'll probably land a few in the slammer sometime soon.

Seriously, if they ever challenge your style of having fun, just tell them, "Whatever." Who cares what they think? Let them have their fun.

You know the jerks in school who push people "by accident," say "Sorry, man!" to you in a bad sense of humor, and laugh with their friends. That happens a lot here in my school. in my experience, the best thing to do is to smile and leave. That invariably gets at least one of them to think a bit about how lame what they're doing is.

Same deal with your mom. Since you still have to (and hopefully want to) deal with her, it's just best to let her tell you what to do and ignore it. Let her rant, and when she's done, talk about something else. Even though they might be frustrating and demeaning, your parents are still assets and you should at least try to maintain relations. Just don't let subconsciously let your mind get brainwashed.

Wow...that turned out to be a bit didactic. Sorry if I've made any assumptions or offenses, it's just that passive resistance is what's worked for me in similar cases.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:31 am

@Evangel: I completely understand where you're coming from. Haven't had others laugh much (particularly as I'm usually runnin' and gunnin' *soaker-wise* on hot, sumer days), but have definitely gotten a boat floatilla-full of lectures from my mom. On the bright side, it's a little different as I now no longer live at home so I have more freedom. However, while I did live at home, I looked for means of justifying it in terms of both activity and enjoyment. Compared to bad habits or activities, water fights are very pure. Sometimes, to get a point across, you need to look at what activities those who complain about water fights are doing and use it in contrast. Consider other activities your mom wouldn't want you to do that others of your age are doing and use those as counter-examples if needed. So long as an activity is not harming oneself or others, no one has the right to tell you what you should be doing for fun when it is your time to enjoy yourself. True maturity, even if your mom doesn't think so, is knowing when to listen to your mom and when to pretend to listen and adjust certain things so that she is not so aware or not so confrontational, but that you can go on enjoying what you do.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: