Sophisticated booby trap designs plz?

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Croc

Post by Croc » Fri May 25, 2007 4:51 pm

That is basically how it works

Basically, the "C4/bomb" is a water cannon. It can be small, and can be mounted in a tree. The lamination won't be great, but it will work as a "C4" unit. The timers should not cost more than about 5$ US. They're really cheap. Solenoids, might be $~10-15 CAD, depending on size and type. If you can, go for the more laminar ones, the others are for things like WBLs :laugh:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Fri May 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Okay but I still need a list of things and steps to build one, as well as EXACTLY what materials I need. Do I need a single solenoid device, or is it better to use ready-made valves like these?

I think I need a detailed diagram to build off of. Something that can cover a playground structure, because multiple bombs can be pretty expensive, especially if they use the valves in the above link. If it can't get good area, then there's not much point.

Edited By Evangel on 1180130473

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 25, 2007 8:41 pm

Bingo! That's exactly how a solenoid/sprinkler valve would work. Just for your information, modded sprinkler valves use a ball valve or something instead of a solenoid. You simply open the ball valve to open the main valve - and because of the much greater flow, the main valve opens more quickly.

However, here we want the electricity part. (The valves are used for automatic sprinkler systems, by the way - so they're designed for use with electronics.)

"Solenoid valve" refers to the solenoid and the main valve coupled together. (That's why I refer to the valves as sprinkler valves - it avoids confusion.) So no, you don't buy the solenoid itself, you buy the sprinkler valve like on the site you linked to. Orbit Watermasters are the most popular type of valve, although pretty much anything will work. Sprinkler valves will probably cost US$10-15. You want the larger 1" versions for more performance.

I don't know much about electronics, and I don't know much about timers, but I can guess at how you should create the device:
1) Buy the sprinkler valve and the timer. They should use the same amount of volts, usually meaning the same type of battery.
2) Open the timer.
3) Find the part that emits sound (I don't know what it looks like) and cut the two wires that go into it. There may be some sort of chip along with the sound emitter so that the alarm isn't a constant note; if there is a chip, cut off the wire going into the chip as well. In either case, you should end up with two wires.
4) Hook up a wire to each port in the solenoid of your valve.

Now, when the timing finishes, the surge of electricity meant for the sound emitter passes through the solenoid instead, actuating the valve!

I don't have exact details, but if you get the parts, pictures might help. :cool: Good luck with the project!

Note that sprinkler valves really aren't going to have enough flow for a water gun system. They'll work for a water balloon launcher, although efficiency won't be too great because they open fairly slowly - but you don't need extreme power for a trap anyway.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun May 27, 2007 8:58 am

Hm... yeah but those 1" valves are crazy expensive at $65. I'm kinda going for mass-production here so I think the $20 ones would be more efficient. I don't know how to determine their performance (or what the 1" thing refers to) so I'm kinda lost there.

Also, what else do I need to add on to the valve, like what do I add to the input end and the output end?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 27, 2007 9:57 am

Wow, that's expensive...oh well, maybe it was a different brand or had a slightly different purpose. The 1" refers to the diameter of the inlet and outlet tubes. A larger diameter means more airflow.

Try to get the valves with the screw threads in each end. If you get them, you can buy PVC fittings known as "male adapters" - they have sockets in one end where you glue PVC and male screw threads on the other ends. You'll want to glue one of the male adapters to the air tank and the other to the barrel.

Check out the Douchenator article for some more information. Duxburian even mentions that you can use a sprinkler valve instead of a ball valve. However, while he suggests a 1.25" valve (because that's common for ball valves), you should use fittings that go down to 3/4" or whatever size the solenoid is.

Feel free to ask any questions! This stuff is pretty easy, you just have to get the general concept. :cool:

Good luck with your project! :)