My eBay winnings - CPS2500 and MXL

Selling, buying, shopping for and/or trading water blasters.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue May 15, 2007 9:14 am

If it's okay I think I'd like to kinda show off what I won over the weekend. :D

CPS2500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1
I upped my max bid from 100 to 115, good thing I did because someone bid ~105 like literally 5 seconds before the auction ended!

Monster XL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1
I think I got a good deal on the MXL, seeing how these things tend to easily go into the 200's as far as I've seen. So at first my max bid was 200, but just to be safe I upped it to 250. Also, the seller contacted me explaining how it will be packaged, and based on the details, it should be safe, plus it's insured.

So I spent about $320 including s/h, which is 80 less than my planned $400, so the way I see it I got enough money left-over to get a Shield Blaster 3000 I also found on eBay (for a friend I'll be visiting this weekend). If I buy it today, there's a good chance that everything will arrive within this week, so hopefully I'll have all three guns before I go over my friend's house for our first 4-man water war since we were kids! Yay us. =D

P.S. Hopefully my leg will be healed enough by then...

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue May 15, 2007 9:49 am

Ouch! That's a LOT of cash for a couple of Super Soakers! Congrats on winning the auctions, but I'm not sure I'd personally spend as much as you for those soakers. They're both great blasters, but still... Then again, with sales like that, I suppose my personal collection's value has gone up a little more. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue May 15, 2007 10:51 am

Yeah well, money was pretty much NO object as far as these two were concerned. I used to own either one or the other back in the day. In middle school I got a CPS2500 that made me pretty popular, then when that broke down we were ALL racing to be the first to get the Monster XL, and when I won that race it made me pretty much the envy of our entire group... and then my friend busted the tank about a month later...

Having BOTH of these back in our arsenal (together at last ^^) will not only take us back to our oldest and greatest water warring days, but chances are having both of these plus the other high-grade SS and WW guns in our collections will attract A LOOOOT of potential opponents. :cool:

I guess it does kinda suck that I had to spend so much on guns that I used to have at one point, but if everything goes as planned, it'll be more than worth it. This time though, I don't think I'll have to worry about my friend breaking them because I also bought him two WW Tarantulas from Toys R' Us that same week, and he seems to like them a lot.

EDIT: btw, I went ahead and bought that Shield Blaster 3000 for my other friend. Since most of my friends are unable to buy their own water guns due to limited income, that pretty much makes me the sole supplier of almost ALL of our group's weapons and equipment.

In anycase, back OT, winning them was the easy part. The hard part: sneaking them past my mom when they get here... >>;;

Edited By Evangel on 1179245715

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue May 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Gosh, I could never imagine getting a soaker for that much. Kind of pisses me off everytime I think about the monster XL for $15 I missed in september. (at the least, I would've liked to raise the price for the other bidders if I didn't win)

Looks like that certain time is the best time to get cheaper soakers. I got a 2700 as well as a lot consiting of a MD5k, CPS 1000 and 1200, neither for too much money.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue May 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Well I know how high these MXLs usually go. Granted I'd rather get it for 50 bucks like the old days, but I guess 180 bucks for a +200 weapon isn't TOO bad. Besides, as rarely as MXL pops up on eBay, I though I should just go for it.

Edited By Evangel on 1179262120

DX

Post by DX » Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm

Rare on Ebay? Ebay is currently drowning in the things - in my quest for spherical pc guns, I've hardly found anything but 2000s, MXLs, or little pistols. You can still get an MXL for $50, under that even, though you'd have to wait for the right time of season. Then again, it would take a lot of time and a bit of luck. I guess $180 is fine if you really need a gun. I recently dropped $34 on a 1200 because I desperately need a primary with at least 55ft of range after modding.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Tue May 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Looks like those prices are more for nostalgic reasons. I can somewhat relate. Now havings said that, I have seen more CPS 2000s recently on ebay than in the past which results in them being abit cheaper than usual. The CPS 2500s on the other hand sell twice as much now than last year which is just plain weird. Then of course don't get me started on the overpriced Backpack CPS like the CPS 3000 and CPS 3200. Since they are underpowered and their 20X is more like a 16X, bidders seem to buy more an imaginary super weapon that goes well over $100. I like backpacks to, but not for $70 more than what they should be sold as. If you run out of water, take your lazy ass to the facet and refill. :goofy:

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1179273191

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

$180? For an MXL? First off I paid 79 cents for mine second off its not that great for it's size. If it shot further and harder than it might be worth that.
AXE BOMB!!!

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Wed May 16, 2007 6:51 am

Okay, I've just about had it with this. You guys are just flaming me for spending a ton of money on these. First off, I have NO idea where I would EVER find a MXL anywhere except eBay, much less one for under the shelf price! If I knew any way of getting it for anything under 50 nowadays, I would've gotten mine last year.

@Dux: I search eBay all the time for soakers and hardly EVER see a MXL listed.
@scorpion: I'm not that stupid, I KNOW MXL isn't that great. Second, how you got one for less than a dollar is beyond me.

Anyway, thanks everyone for making me feel like an idiot.

Edited By Evangel on 1179336097

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 16, 2007 2:57 pm

I wouldn't call anything said here flaming. Most people are concerned that you overpaid and felt they should tell you. Now, what you do with your money is up to you. I personally don't care, but I do feel that you were ripped off big time. I would not have paid that sort of money for any water gun that wasn't worth that much in it's individual parts.

If I was stuck with eBay, I would have waited until the winter because the prices do drop a lot as also does the number of people looking at that time. There also are a lot of other places to find water guns. I remember someone once said they found a nearly mint condition CPS 2000 mk1 in a thift store for $6! You have to look around. I consider eBay a last resort.

Monster XLs are listed all of the time on eBay. I monitor eBay regularly for deals and there always seems to be one there. In fact, I did a study just a few days ago and I believe there were four (five including this one) MXLs sold on eBay in the past month. That's pretty common.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Hmm.. well, I'll take a chance at a reply to this one.

@Evangel: yeah, some of the replies read a little too close to flaming, though I don't think any flaming was quite intentional. I've spent loads of money on soakers (not to mention maintaining this site) so it's not as shocking to me, though you'd have to admit that the amount of money spent isn't quite just pocket change (then again, if it is for you, can you spare me some change, too? :goofy: ). My hope is that despite some of the negativity you got from others, that you'll still enjoy and put to great use your en route acquisitions! I look forward to hearing about your eventual battles and such with these blasters in hand.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Wed May 16, 2007 4:37 pm

I do kinda have a pretty big trust fund, and my regular income is pretty good too, so I can easily afford to take some chances. Since I needed these in a hurry, I think I did pretty good in the long run even if they were a bit overpriced; the CPS2500 is already here, so I might get the MXL by this weekend!

Only problem is the CPS2500's nozzle selector was broken and poorly repaired (it was glued back on! :oo: ). But I'm talking with the seller, he says it was in excellent condition when he shipped it, so I'm gonna take his word for it and assume it was damaged in transit and someone tried to patch it up with some glue. I might be able to repair the damage, but I also kinda like it this way. Without the nozzle selector it becomes a wide-spread riot nozzle.

Edited By Evangel on 1179351617

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed May 16, 2007 6:16 pm

^That defeats half the 2500's purpose: range.

If I had to stick to one nozzle, I'd take it to the 10x, otherwise see what you can do to get it to work I guess...
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am

We're working on that. Please see my "CPS2500 nozzle selector needs repairing" topic.

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Thu May 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Evangel wrote:I do kinda have a pretty big trust fund, and my regular income is pretty good too, so I can easily afford to take some chances. Since I needed these in a hurry, I think I did pretty good in the long run even if they were a bit overpriced; the CPS2500 is already here, so I might get the MXL by this weekend!

Only problem is the CPS2500's nozzle selector was broken and poorly repaired (it was glued back on! :oo: ). But I'm talking with the seller, he says it was in excellent condition when he shipped it, so I'm gonna take his word for it and assume it was damaged in transit and someone tried to patch it up with some glue. I might be able to repair the damage, but I also kinda like it this way. Without the nozzle selector it becomes a wide-spread riot nozzle.
Ouch, that's exactly what happened to mine. I tried fixing it a couple times, but I gave up after a while and use it as the most badass shotgun imaginable. It's not really that useful in combat, but the sounds and faces people make after getting hit by it are priceless. :goofy:
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun May 20, 2007 4:20 pm

I got my 2000 for $90 and my MXL for $70. I personally find my MXL too hard to pump. But I still pull it out at just the right time.

There are 4-5 2000's on ebay right, now, and just as many 2500's. But I haven't seen a Mk.1 2000 on ebay in forever. Supposedly they were less durable...

Edited By Hannibal on 1179696027
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 am

MXL's bipod legs do make it hard to pump, that's why we decided to remove them.

ZTrooper

Post by ZTrooper » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 am

Don't feel bad... I realize the guns are expensive, but there's just nothing out there any more that compares. I have actually started looking around for spares for my 3000.. (and yes, I LIKE my 3000, and I like the backpack... means I can use the larger settings for a longer amount of time before I go refill)...

There will come a point when there will be no more CPS guns left.. so I figure I will get what bargains I can, while I can, to keep my current guns functional for as long as possible. Let's face it.. plastics get brittle, rubber will eventually break... we're all on borrowed time with our cherished guns. Even my SS 300 will eventually be unusable... and then we'll be stuck with the stuff Hasbro puts out now.

You'd think though, that will the obvious demand, niche or not, for quality CPS rifles... SOMEONE would try to market one.. even if it was a niche manufacturer or garage business...

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:59 pm

You'd think though, that will the obvious demand, niche or not, for quality CPS rifles... SOMEONE would try to market one.. even if it was a niche manufacturer or garage business...

Patent law. Hasbro owns the patent for CPS, therefore, they can protect it via civil suits. A small company would be run into the ground. Now as far as I know, CPS by piston is not patented. I am currently configuring a piston air homemade [which produces constant pressure without a rubber bladder], and I think it will be very powerful for its size [can't complete it until more funds roll in though].

It will take a long time for CPS guns to disappear, I'm thinking in excess of 20 years from now. And even if chambers weaken, you can replace the bladders with latex rubber tubing, which is far superior to the stock rubber. You can also replace trigger valves if they fail, pumps if they break, etc. Where there's a will there's a way.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm

For the patents, someone said they can only patent specific designs, and the lawsuit against whoever made the ARM 400 XL didn't work. (but DX is right in the case of small companies)

He's also probably right on CPS's. It will take some time before the majority throws them away, and lots of eBaying is still going on, meaning more and more people might start figuring out ways to repair.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong about the ARM suit.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1182374399
HydroBrawl Water Warfare