advice on a gun - advice on a gun

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
theinfo344

Post by theinfo344 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm

My annual town 'water war' is approaching. I have no knowledge in water guns and I was looking to see if anyone can recomend me a gun to buy. My budget tops off around 35.

thanks for the help

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Not the Orca :angry:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

As for what to get, for $35, you might consider blasters like the Water Warriors Tiger Shark, Super Soaker Flash Flood or Arctic Blast. Sometimes, though, it can be easier if you can give us an idea of what you can find easily locally and/or if you're willing to buy online or attempt to purchase things through eBay. There are a number of decent soakers out there to satisfy the typical user.

Any idea on the size of water war you'll be engaged in? Any info on what others may be using or your own preferences on what you want out of a water gun? A little more info would also help us give more specific recommendations.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 pm

The Orca ($20) is a great gun. We've had a couple reports of triggers needing repair, but the rest have all been fine. It's large, well-balanced, and has good range.

The Tiger Shark ($15) is a bit smaller and cheaper, but might have some ergonomics issues.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:49 pm

hydroblitz
Soak On!

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:58 pm

I agree with SilentGuy. I would buy the Orca or Tigershark, thiugh it would help alot to know what the war will be like to give advice. For $30 you could get lucky on ebay and get a CPS 1000 or 1200. Actually right now there is a CPS 1000 for 30$ without shipping. The CPS 1000 is a fantastic gun. I highly reccomend it.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm

I personally don't like the Orca's pump, it just gets pretty annoying sometimes. Either way, I already returned it and got a Tiger Shark, and while the handle area (where your trigger hand goes) isn't as good as the Orca's, the trigger is fairly solid and everything else works well.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm

I'm happy with my Arctic Blast, regardless of what most everyone else on here says. For a soakfest (free-for-all), which I assume you'll be playing, either that or the Flash Flood will allow you some serious firepower when you pop around the corner into 5 or so guys.
Heavy artillery + high ground = an easy battle.
Why else would they call me Leviathan?
"Artillery batteries, prepare to fire. XLs, dual aquastorm. Balloons, quick burst, short range. Battery commanders, FIRE AT WILL!"

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Get 2 tigersharks and dual wield. 5 dollars under budget to buy yourself a coney :cool:

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:30 pm

buy a whole slew of hornets and pass them around.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

theinfo344

Post by theinfo344 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:32 pm

Thanks for the help so far, Here is more information on the specifics of my water war.

This water war is setup by the senior high school class in my town
every year. Teams of two participate, the objective is to eliminate the
team your assigned to hit (by squirting your enemy) while another team is
trying to eliminate you at the same time. This is a 24/7 thing (with
the exception of being at school) and people are constantly out trying to
find the team they were assigned to eliminate. In the past, it has
taken about a month and a half before one team wins.

You are not made aware who is trying to eliminate you, therefore I tend
to want a gun that will give me good distance assuming I will be in a
'sniper' like mode. I would like a gun that does need to be pumped as
constant as the average gun.

Thanks for the advice.
B

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:39 pm

oh, so its an assasination type game. I'd recomend a hornet due to its small size and good output. It's easy to conceal so its great for that type of game, as for a 'sniper' type soaker, that really depends on the user seeing as there are a bunch of options.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:21 pm

If you really want the most waterpower I would buy a Flash Flood and remove the wire mesh on the bottom nozzle. When mine was working it shot further than just about every blaster I had except my 2000. If it wasn't for the Max D system this would have been one of the best blasters ever. Which reminds me, I haven't been around too much, so if anyone has come up with a way to fix Max D trigger system breaks or prevent them from breaking please let me know! PM me or something.

Edited By marauder_4 on 1177539724
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:42 pm

^Actually, the ball valve trigger is part of what prevents restriction of the flood nozzle. It was just the design of the system that was poorly done, using weak springs while creating systems that demand strong springs, etc. Most of the Max-D trigger repairs are quite simple; just get some rubber bands where the spring is supposed to be.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm

The Flash Flood really had range like that? Wow, that's neat...I'll try to see if I can test somebody's FF out.

The Max-D trigger repair I've done sounds like what CA-99 is saying. I guess it's just an open trigger valve repair, although earlier I thought a different problem might have been more common.

For a concealable gun, there are some decent pistols out there. Try to find 2-packs of the Max-D 3000 (if your hand fits in the grip), or the Max-D 2000 if the former is unavailable. The triggers will eventually require repair, but they're fine blasters.

The Buzz Bee Toys pistols are all good too. I've used the Cricket before, and range is decent - but its size is exceptional. Definitely concealable. I suspect other guns like the Hornet and Firefly are just as good, although perhaps larger.

The pistols I mentioned are all good, so take your pick. The BBT ones probably won't require trigger repairs, so I'd go with them, but the Max-Ds have good range and even output.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:58 pm

If you really want a 'sniper' blaster try finding an old CPS rifle on e-bay. A Flash flood (if you can find one) is ok stock. It's got great power for it's size and a fully modded one is a sight to behold. But for an assasination game a good pistol is essential. Its easy to conceal and can be used in active combat, but if you are going to enagege a group you really do need a cps type soaker.

theinfo344

Post by theinfo344 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Any suggestions on what kind of pistol I should look into?
B

bb1

Post by bb1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:53 pm

"The pistols I mentioned are all good, so take your pick. The BBT ones probably won't require trigger repairs, so I'd go with them, but the Max-Ds have good range and even output. "

Probability won't always be on your side, though.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 pm

theinfo344 wrote:Any suggestions on what kind of pistol I should look into?

Super Soaker rereleased the XP 20 last year and I bought up a whole lot of those. The XP 20 is a great blaster, it won't break like the newer Max Ds, and you don't have to worry about your hand fitting in it since it has an open hand grip. It has decent range and power, nothing extraordinary but I mean, pistols are sidearms anyway so I think efficiency is more important.

Edited By marauder_4 on 1177610496
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:45 am

Hornet, the only problems ive had was the small grip. I've nozzle drilled mine and cut off the noisy teather and it works great.