WW Orca Review

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Moreso, when do they stalk the forums to see what improvements would be good in them? I honestly think they do that! Remember the PCV activation switch? Was that not moved? Hehm. Anyway, does this mean there will be no more new guns this year? Mermph.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:33 am

Any of you Orca users find the cap can be a little leaky out of the intake hole? I'm certain I have it tightened in place properly; not the first soaker I've used. :goofy: Currently testing output and it's been leaking, not a huge amount, but enough to get my sleeve's cuff wet.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:00 am

Nope, it's not been leaky for me. At least, I haven't noticed it.

But the real question is why you're bothering to test the soaker when it's so cold outside that you have to wear long sleeves. :laugh:

bb1

Post by bb1 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm

I personally HATE the cap, and not just for noises... it takes me a good 6-7 times to get the cap on squarely (not tilted to one side, all the way down, ect.)

Not one of the better cap designs, but output is not bad IMO.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:53 am

A few general stats on the WW Orca:
Length: 61cm
Reservoir Volume: 2500mL (~83oz)
PC Volume: 700mL (~23oz)
Pump Volume: 29mL (~1oz)

Output:
Smallest nozzle: 22mL/sec (~0.7oz/sec)
Largest nozzle: 208mL/sec (~6.77oz/sec)

Croc

Post by Croc » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:08 am

SilentGuy wrote:metric just doesn't feel right.
Maybe living outside the US for a while would help.

I told mr. dude that when we were originally comparing ranges for his backup to his APH, that we should do it in feet, but he prefers metric for some odd reason.
Living outside the states, for most of my life, it doesn't change much. I still use imperial, and metric systems when measuring.

Edited By Croc on 1176642574

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:21 am

Having lived in the Middle East for much of my life, I tend to be more comfortable with metric. I understand imperial, but to get a real feel for the stat I'm told, I have to convert it to metric.
For instance, I know that 70' is far, but I have to know that it's more than 20m to understand just how far it is.
Back on topic, those are some nice stats there! I especially like the reservoir capacity.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:17 am

The whole metric vs imperial preference tends to depend on what one was brought up on. If one grew up thinking in feet, it is much easier to see distances in feet. Others who grew up on meters see meters. I grew up on both, making my perception on length measurements totally messed up. :goofy: I prefer feet for heights and short distances while I prefer kilometers for driving distances. I can swap between inches and centimeters fairly quickly, but have a slight tendency to use inches for lengths less than 1 foot/30cm. For small lengths, though, I much prefer millimeters and micrometers than using 1/16th of inches, etc. For body weight, I prefer pounds over kilograms, but for weighing anything else, I prefer grams and kg. For volumes, I strictly prefer metric and am lost at using fl.oz., cups, quarts, or gallons.

Getting back to Orca thoughts, whether looking at it using the metric or imperial system, it has good points and bad points versus its predecessor, the Blazer. Noise aside, my main concern from the upside-down cap and position of the intake tube is that it does tend to draw unwanted air into the PC. Noise seems to be somewhat variable in loudness; it got much quieter for me when the cap got wet on the outside for whatever reason.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 am

I feel the same way about mixing. I swap between them depending on what it is that needs measuring:

Very small distances = inches
Firing distances = feet
Running distances = meters
Driving distances = miles
Height = inches and feet
Large weights = pounds
Small weights = grams
Volumes = mL, liters, and sometimes gallons if the volume is really large
Temperature = Fahrenheit, though I understand that 0 degrees Celsius is cold and 40 degrees Celsius is hot.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm

I prefer metric for all scientific measurements, except if I'm just working on a project (such as homemade water guns).

I like feet and inches for measurements less than 10 feet or so. Beyond that, I like feet, but I'm hopeless at estimation.

Miles for running distances. "5K" means absolutely nothing to me. "3 miles," on the other hand, says a lot.

Driving - I don't know yet. I suspect I'll like miles very much in half a year - getting my learner's in a few days.

Body weight and weights of objects are best for me in pounds. I know how heavy 10 pounds is.

Temperature is the real kicker - like DX, I know what's hot and what's cold, and I can convert, but I don't understand it. Even 65 degrees Fahrenheit can feel hot or cold - temperature is all about the feel. The problem is that I've not been told the temperature in Celsius and then had to go out and feel what it's like.

And since when was 0 degrees Celsius cold for you, Duxburian? :p

Anyway, back on topic...

I've yet to use the Orca in battle, but it'll probably do well. Great balance, even when heavy, very comfortable, easy to pump...and the range and shot time are better than my CPS 4100. As I've said though, it doesn't feel powerful. Even a Max-D 3000 feels more powerful!

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:15 pm

Back to the orca, I recently drilled a hole in the sucker. Thing is much quieter now, seems to pressurize fast, and gets less air in the shots (air bubbles from the original would be pulled into the intake tube.)

I would highly recommend drilling to everyone! It only has minor dripping while filling, but will not even when upright. I drilled it on the seem close to the first pressure-chamber-bulb thingy. Very impressive results!

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 pm

Nice information, thanks!

Good to know it doesn't drip much. Clever observation with the air, I wouldn't have thought of that explanation. Sounds like you chose the right place for the hole - not too obtrusive, and it'll stay above the waterline even if you point the soaker up.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:09 pm

My first ever mod (I feel bad for hurting the soaker though :( )

But it isn't just cosmetic. It actually improves it. The water is less bubbly since there is no air being pulled through it.

You MIGHT get a bit wet when filling though, it likes to put a trickle which collects into drops. I used a fairly tiny drill bit, and it went through much more easily than I thought it would. Taped the cap incase I ever want to hear flipper again.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 pm

That could definitely be part of the reason the streams are so disappointing. Now I'm really inclined to try it - the sound wasn't too bad for me, but the stream change could be a real improvement.

Maybe you could pass that on to Big Bee...although they've said they're redoing the design.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 pm

I better get a refund then :angry:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Hmm... Looks like my Orca's trigger has gotten worse, though instead of returning and exchanging it, I'll probably just do the rubber band repair. (ridiculous though, I just bought the freaking gun) In the process of opening, I might be able to remove components that are unecessary (such as the pressure gauge) and make the gun lighter. The inverted cap however, hasn't been causing any problems.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm

Water Warriors: Orca review finally posted. Range testing to be done when it's a little warmer and less rainy! :goofy:

Enjoy!

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:05 pm

Under the pros section, there's a typo; "Nice stlying, clean lines, and (etc.)". Also, I think it would've been better to mention that the cap's noise isn't much more than the pumping itself. While it certainly can affect one's cover, many other pumps can do the same, at least when the pressure relief valve is hit. (I personally find most of the cap position's problems to be in the slight leaking, air getting pumped in, and the fact that it can't fill up completely in most sinks anyway)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 pm

@C-A_99: thanks for pointing out the typo! As for the noise, I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I'll consider updating the review after I test out the Orca more in actual battle conditions.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Nice review. Comments:

The picture of the nozzle selector has some weird lighting. Was it from flash or something? Also interesting: the top picture makes the reservoir seems much smaller than it actually is. :p

I found the streams got a lot of range even when the trigger was pulled back less than halfway. When barely touched, yes the range was poor, but it's easy to tap the trigger quickly and still get strong shots.

As I noted, my model doesn't seem to leak from the back.

Also, I got used to pumping very quickly. I stopped twisting the pump handle and having it collide fairly soon. :cool:

As always, great review, and I can't wait to see the official stats! I suspect it'll score well on range, but the output just doesn't feel right.