Drilling the vent holes on a CPS gun

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:52 pm

I was looking on SSC recently and came across the CPS PC Hole Mod. I was curious as to if it did any good to a soaker, and if so what aspect of the soaker it helped.

Does it do any good? Have many people done it before?
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Some argue that it does help a little to allow air to enter the casing just a touch faster by having a larger hole. The hole shouldn't be made so big that the inner chamber can actually expand into the hole (this can lead to localized stress points on the chamber and can lead to PC failure). As well, there's the risk of getting bits of plastic from the drilling into the casing and may end up rubbing up against the PC when the PC is filled. I recall some saying that enlargening the holes on BBT soakers like the Blazer had some noticeable benefit. I do know from experience that the BBT soakers make an audible "sucking" sound when firing and air is rushing into the top hole as the PC contracts. I don't know that there is a huge difference, but there is likely some benefit.

I should also note that the larger the hole, the more likely something else can get into the chamber (i.e. dirt/dust). If you're doing to try it, I'd say be wary and avoid getting drilled plastic inside the casing and don't overdrill to the point that the PC is overexposed.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:01 pm

I don't think it's really worth it. The hole is already big enough to allow for efficient effusion. But if there is a sucking sound as iSoaker mentioned, then it might be worth it to drill the hole.

Interesting point about the dust. If the hole is on the inside, it might not be that important. At any rate, multiple small holes might also work.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 am

The modification hasn't done anything noticable. It will be removed during the next website update.