Possible War This Week

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:30 pm

I made a half crazy, half serious proposition to Belisaurius to open our season this Saturday. The forecast: sunny and 60 degrees. That's a stunning 10 degrees above closure in what is usually the coldest month of the year. The point is that it is way above closure and that we should not waste any time in our last high school season. He actually didn't turn it down and will check it against his work schedule. I will remind him that Sunday is also supposed to be sunny and around 57, hence a backup day. Yes this is winter, but this is Ridgewood water warfare and the warmest, most snow-lacking winter since 1877 so far.

Hopefully the first battle report of the year on 1/6! :cps2000: :cps2500:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:37 pm

That's good news. While we've been burning down here with weather in the 70s, Denver get pounded with snow...obviously I don't want that, but cooler temperatures would be nice.

Do you think people will continue this season into the fall? Who knows, it could cool down or heat up in the summer.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:17 pm

The season will probably collapse in mid-late August. On both teams combined, there are 6 people in the command structures, all seniors. The veteran members of both teams are all seniors with about 3 exceptions. Anyone looking to continue the teams would also have to rebuild their arsenals and gain new tactical experience. Either way, the teams would not ever be the same. You can't completely replace founders with 4 and 6 year histories.

However, at this rate, "the season" will be all year-round! We'll have a Spring, Summer, and Fall. This current weather better resembles late April and even May.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Wow, congrats on getting one at this time of the year.
This war might be a great time to try some of your latest tactical theories, and I would love to see them tested in real combat conditions.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:16 pm

The funny thing about Tactical Theory is that my team understands it on an unspoken level. We follow it in everything we do, yet I have never actually mentioned the phrase "Tactical Theory" to anyone. The workings of the Theory are pretty much instinctive and second-nature by now. We use descriptions instead of the names. For example, instead of saying "form a Staggered Split Ambush" I'd say "we are going to set up an ambush here, you head to that side behind that large tree, we will take up positions in this reed fringe, you jump out when the enemy is in range, after the enemy backs up, we will jump out and complete the pwnage. GO!" Hand signals are used to coordinate and time the attack just right. During post-battle analyzation, I'd then recognize the action as a Staggered Split, or whatever it would classify as. That's how the Theory is used in real combat, at least for us.

Even though we are not consiously aware of it all the time, every action in battle can be linked in action-reaction pairs. I may post a version of our next war entirely in Tactical Theory lingo, aka all in pairs of tactical manuevers. This would not be unlike Chess reviews, where one part describes the action in language non-players would understand and the other in Chess lingo. Here's an example of a battle report in only Tactical Theory language:

RM:1-5 Advance 1x on Main Path, direction GSB
WB:1-6 Set up Split Ambush in Telos-Groven, facing SSB

RM:1-5 Split Advance 3x [1-3 Main Path, 4-5 Upper Bluff], direction GSB
WB:6 Hold Ambush in Telos-Groven, facing SSB

RM:5 Halt at Telos-Groven 0x on Main Path, facing GSB
WB:6 Hold Ambush in Telos-Groven, facing SSB

RM:5 Sweep Telos-Groven 1x, direction GSB
WB: 6 Launch Split Ambush in Telos-Groven [4 trigger, 1,5 initial, 2,3,6 secondary], direction GSB

RM: 1-2 Flank WB Left 3x, direction OBE;
3-5 Attack WB Center 1x, facing SSB
WB: 6 Mirror Defense, facing OBW, SSB

RM: 2 Scores kill on 4 WB Left, 1-2 Push WB Left 2x, direction OBE/GSB;
3-5 Push WB Center 2x, direction GSB
WB: 5 Tactical Retreat 3x, direction GSB

And etc. See if you can see what the various abbreviations and numbers stand for.

Edited By Duxburian on 1167797805

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm

RM - Ridgewood Militia
GSB - Grove St. Bridge
SSB - Spring St. Bridge
WB - Waterbridge
OBW/OBE - don't know

team:#ofplayers action (repeats) location, direction
team:#ofplayers action (repeats) location, direction

Very neat, I'd actually like to see this in future battle reports. Such as the one from Saturday :D. Good luck!

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:33 pm

OBW and OBE are the out of bounds lines for the West and East banks. The battlefield can be positioned like a compass so that "up" is the Spring St Bridge, "down" is the Grove St Bridge, and the other sides are the OB lines, as they are far too long to use a single landmark. A move toward a corner and/or at a diagonal could be something like SSB/OBW. The times x are actually supposed to be speed [0x = not moving, 1x = slow move, 1.5x = walking, 2x = at a run, 3x = sprinting], but I may drop speed. It is a bit confusing and for a real battle, I'm not going to remember the speed at which things happen. In fact, I will probably not be able to keep track of every single action-reaction. I am going to try and film parts of the war, which may turn out to be a skirmish, as certain members of Waterbridge are balking just because it is "Winter". The forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 69 degrees instead of 62. Their argument is flimsy...

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Cool!I hope it works out well. I'm having a war tomorow as well. It's going to be the S.W.A.Ts first night battle.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:55 pm

It's been around the 40's to 50's here in lower Michigan. However, no matter what I do I won't be able to get a water fight, no one would join.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat