Numbers In Names - the burning question

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:08 pm

I've wondered for years why people put numbers in their names. I mean, I can understand if just the name is taken, but why if it's avaliable? Does it symbolize something? Or are you all just getting in touch with your inner L33t :oo: (cringes) I always thought that putting numbers in your name sort of took away the fun of having an alternate identity. So do you guys think when your making a name, "Wow, Soakermaster would look sooooo much cooler ir it was Soakermaster229!" Can the questing finally be answered and put to rest?

Edited By Veteran on 1090015803

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:41 pm

I can't say for all, but I believe for some they keep the numbers just so it matches their IDs on other boards or chats or IMs, etc. After awhile, numbers tend to just feel right with some aliases.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:02 pm

Numbers are used when the name you're trying to get are already in use... I'm suprised you didn't know that, since, after all, you are a Veteran, Veteran. :goofy:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:44 am

Veteran wrote:I mean, I can understand if just the name is taken
I had to quote myself to show you Cloud, I had already mentioned that possibility. Please read my post thoroughly.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:49 am

Eheh... sorry. My mistake, Mr. Veteran. :wacko:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:53 am

That's Sir Tichondrius Wellington to you sir.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:46 pm

The reason I put the "00" in my name was to show that my first SS was a 2000 model.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:52 pm

Now that I'm searching my head's memories, I remember that this and my WWN account are some of the only usernames I have that don't have numbers in them. My AIM account, both of my e-mail address, and my old Aquatica account all had numbers in them. I often used 1989 because that was the year I was born and I also used 754 because my really old (cringe) Neopets account had that number as a result of me trying to have a username that hadn't been taken yet.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Excelite

Post by Excelite » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:27 pm

I would never put a number in my username unless I had to, for whatever reasons I may have. Having a number can differentiate you from a number of people if they have the same name as you, which happens often since brilliant people think they can use a pop-culture reference as a username. How many Neos/Trinities/StrongBads/Dragonball-characters have you seen in your webcrawling days?

A friend of mine puts his birthday (26th) at the end of his username. I hope no one does it to look "cool" or to fit in...
abusing the ellipsis since before you n00bs got here