Hands-On: Defender - Max Infusion Defender

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:42 pm

I don't think iSoaker plans on doing range stats until it warms up. After all he lives in Canada? Which must have perfect weather right now for going outside with a soaker and measuring range. :laugh: :p

A soaker that tiny doesn't need a strap. A soaker as small as the 2100 doesn't need a strap. And if you need to dual wield, just drill two holes and get some rope or something more comfortable, and there's your strap. Although dual wielding is most effective when you simply carry both soakers, because then you can use them both at once. If one is on your back, how is that going to help when you are in the heat of battle?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:43 pm

Why would the Defender have a strap?Only very heavy waterguns come with a strap.It is to bad I lost my CPS 1-3-5's strap when I was about 7 I think.I might buy the Defender,but I do not think I have enough money for it.I have my eyes on the Max Infusion Flash Flood,with the backpack it will be a good enough editon to my armoury(when I get finished building it).

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:12 pm

The defender is probably going to be much less than the FF. The FF is going for $20, which I'm sure is much too high for the defender.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:22 pm

The Defender will probably go for $10 or less. Soaker Master, you can buy a strap on the Rplacement Parts order form for like $3. I have 5 straps at my house with no soaker attached, as well.

I did not realize how small the Overload/Defender were. I guess they do not need a strap at all, one would just get in the way.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks but I do not need a strap anymore I have gotten used to its weight.Thanks anyway.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:13 pm

Actually Dux, the weather up here (in Canada) has been pretty good the past week (above 0 degrees cesius, which is really wierd for this time of year). I live within a two hour's drive of isoaker, and I can say that it's not the weather, isoaker is probably just to busy or lazy to get the range tests done.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:17 pm

cooldood31 wrote:Actually Dux, the weather up here (in Canada) has been pretty good the past week (above 0 degrees cesius, which is really wierd for this time of year). I live within a two hour's drive of isoaker, and I can say that it's not the weather, isoaker is probably just to busy or lazy to get the range tests done.
Cool, you know iSoaker? Have you used any of his guns? iSoaker said he was very buzy with work, so take it easy on him. :cool: He can only do so many things at once.

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"

"snap!"

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't know him, but I know where he lives (not exactly, but roughly). It would be awesome to get together for a war sometime though.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm

Defender Review now posted. Enjoy!

As for range testing, I do range tests in my backyard. Right now, it's waaaaaay too soggy and not too pleasant to set up for doing ranges. As well, as all other blasters have been range-tested in the spring time, I prefer to keep things roughly equal. I prefer range testing in warmer weather (not to mention there be a lot of other things that require my immediate attention). I'd guestimate range in the 25-30' average range. Might be surprised, but that's just how the stream feels to me.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 pm

Very nice and well-written. The grip looks strange, but I'll take your word that it feels good. Did you notice the pump weirdness on the Overload (must be flush before pulling it back out)? Maybe they did that on purpose...? So much for the 5x I was hoping for! :p

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 pm

Nice review! I can understand the blaster well enough now I almost feel like I bought it! :) Not that I will. Still, the review was presented well, and, of course, you put in the part that says it can't stand up to CPS cannons, which is important.

"snap!"

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:06 am

Cool review. I like the slightly more militaristic bullpup design, despite the color scheme (and I personally think that series of ridges behind the pump is supposed to look like accessory rails). Performance is about what I expected - nothing I'll be buying this year. Why oh why couldn't they have put a CPS chamber in it...

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:20 am

Well, from the current average power level Hasbro seems to be aiming at, even if it were a CPS chamber, it's general performance would likely be similar (apart from not having angle restrictions, though).

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:24 am

Nice review, Isoaker! :) . You did make a couple of errors though:
The trigger and grip area appear surprising short and look uncomfortable to hold

As well, the threadding on the cap is backwards

Just thought I would point those out :;):

:soakon2:

Edited By soakerman on 1138807470
ImageImage

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:16 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Well, from the current average power level Hasbro seems to be aiming at, even if it were a CPS chamber, it's general performance would likely be similar (apart from not having angle restrictions, though).

Is there any reason, if you're designing a gun, NOT to make it CPS powered? Why doesn't Hasbro make all guns CPS-powered? Isn't CPS better than air pressure in everything? Or am I missing something? ???

EDIT: 105th post in 1 week! :soakon2:

Edited By Hannibal on 1138814251

"snap!"

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:04 pm

The reasons are cost and size. Not everyone wants to pay $30 for a pistol.

And 105 posts in a week isn't always a good thing, it should be post content you aim for.

Edited By cooldood31 on 1139067232

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:15 pm

Is there any reason, if you're designing a gun, NOT to make it CPS powered? Why doesn't Hasbro make all guns CPS-powered? Isn't CPS better than air pressure in everything? Or am I missing something?

The CPS-chambers degrade over time.. likely faster than than the seals around more air-pressure PCs. The cost factor is also an issue. Lastly, CPS is NOT better than air in everything. With stronger check-valves and PCs in place, you can make a much harder hitting air pressure soaker than you can make a CPS-based soaker. The strength of the rubber limits the maximum pressure the soaker can achieve. With air pressure, you can go until the chamber explodes (preferably stopping before that! :goofy:)

Sidenote: thanks for spotting the typos. They exist from time to time.. will try to fix tonight.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:27 pm

isoaker_com wrote:
Is there any reason, if you're designing a gun, NOT to make it CPS powered? Why doesn't Hasbro make all guns CPS-powered? Isn't CPS better than air pressure in everything? Or am I missing something?

The CPS-chambers degrade over time.. likely faster than than the seals around more air-pressure PCs. The cost factor is also an issue. Lastly, CPS is NOT better than air in everything. With stronger check-valves and PCs in place, you can make a much harder hitting air pressure soaker than you can make a CPS-based soaker. The strength of the rubber limits the maximum pressure the soaker can achieve. With air pressure, you can go until the chamber explodes (preferably stopping before that! :goofy:)

Sidenote: thanks for spotting the typos. They exist from time to time.. will try to fix tonight.

So, they just haven't put Air pressure to it's full power? But wait, wouldn't it take hundreds of pumps to get a gun up to more power than CPS?

"snap!"

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:40 pm

Air pressure's superiority is most noticeable in homemades, because again cps has it's limit's. For stock soakers cps is better. :cool:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:23 pm

I think that air pressure is pretty good but I think that CPS is best. :)