Organized Water Warfare - ^

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:43 pm

What organized water warfare games do you guys play?

Presently, I've pretty much just been involved with free-for-alls with the occassional alliance. Had one small 2vs2 fight, but no specific ruels set. I was planning to try having a tag/SoakerTag-type game, but weather and people availability hasn't worked out yet.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:57 pm

I fight lots of free for alls but occasionally I have a 1v1, 1v2, 1v1v1, or large team battles with 4v4.

freak

Post by freak » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:23 pm

Me and three of my friends play a LOT of 1hk. Sometimes a random soakfest. I don't like playing hasbro's soakertag game. I mean you could get soaked and not be out or you could be out and almost dry.
End world hunger and overpopulation, Support cannibalism.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:15 am

All 1HK, our only soakfests are at the end of our 1HK battles. Waterbridge and the Ridgewood Militia are both pretty hardcore teams in terms of fighting. We have a Campaign system for fighting a series of battles, and usually play for points. [1 kill = 1 point]
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:46 am

All soakfests, all the time. We're not organized enough to play one hit kills, nor do we have the patience to sit out for very long.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:36 am

My friends and I just grab some guns, fill 'em up, and shoot at each other. Its fun when its hot out, especially when you try to get wet, although the FF's Flash Flood nozzle isn't particularly comfortable at close range...doesn't hurt, it's just annoying. :p
I've never done a 1HK, it would be a bad idea with just 1 on 1.
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:07 pm

I have said it before and I will say it again I don’t like 1hk
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 am

The kind of water wars I have aren't one hit kill fights but aren't really soakfests either. While participants can be shot any number of times, it is emphasised that one's no. 1 priority is always to stay dry (or as dry as possible). When one team is taking significantly more hits than the other in a confrontation, they may feel inclined to fall back and rethink their approach for the next confrontation.

While this kind of war is similar to a soakfest, the participants always aim to avoid being hit at all costs. The war generally has no time limit but 'ends when it does'. The winning team is generally the one that appears the least soaked at the end of the war and put up the best fight throughout the course of the game.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 pm

I do soakfests with my friends and family, but I'm intruiged by 1HK. Do you guys play capture the flag, least hits wins, or what? I was thinking of organizing a 1HK war in a few months.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Our 2 local teams play team-scored, multiple life 1HK. The side with the most total kills wins in all cases, even if there were some people on the other team whom never got hit, went through 10 lives, etc. Having infinate lives allows for higher scoring and for people to come back in instead of sitting around bored. We count a fist-sized area of water on the shirt as a kill.

We've considered CTF, but it would probably take way too long and end in stalemates most of the time.

Edited By Duxburian on 1138209567
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:29 pm

Yeah, I assume it would require honesty on how many time you are hit. Do you allow refils? I was thinking of playing in a local park, and, of course, there's only drinking fountains, which are slow refils, and faucets, which I can't even fit my CPS 2000 into.

I am thinking of having a CtF war, and a hit (the size of your fist sounds good, Dux) means that you would have to go immediately to the enemy jail. You can't be freed on the way, and no shooting others is allowed during the trip. Once you get to the base, you have to be tagged by your team to be freed. Of course, you will have to kill the guard, if there is one, to be able to free the prisioner, or he will shoot you wen you arrive. The flag would be placed according to set rules at the start of the game. How does that sound?

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"

"snap!"

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:04 pm

Yeah, I assume it would require honesty on how many time you are hit. Do you allow refils?

The honor system works well for us. If there is a kill dispute, the battle is paused and we "parley" to work it out, then resume the fight. Of course we allow refills, as our wars are typically last a good 2-3 hours. However, one is in play when they are refilling, so often we bring cartons of water in our backpacks. The streams are used when the team is together, so some can guard those whom are refilling.

Your CTF rules sound good. I do suggest using the fist-sized kill, since that eliminates disputes over getting hit with spray or droplets. Older age teams tend to accept the honor system more readily, hence the reason why in a 3 hour war, we waste very few minutes arguing over kills, and cheating is basically non-existant. :cool:

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 am

I do team soakfests.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:49 am

XP20Warrior wrote:I do team soakfests.
Team soakfests don't sound bad either, but the one thing that really gets me mad about soakfests is when one person is totally drenched to the skin. Then, that person doen't care about getting wet, so they can run right up to someone and drench them without having the fear of getting wet themselves.

That aside, I never mind unloading a 25x blast from my CPS 2000 :cps2000: or a 23x blast from my Monster XL on someone. Getting people soaked is the name of the game, after all, and you usually only get drenched in soakfests.

"snap!"

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:37 pm

^ soakfest's rule, the only problem is that I don't have good soakfest weapon. 21k's are 1hk guns and well the splashzooka has good uses but not as a soakfest gun. :cool:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm

Heh, all of my guns are designed for 1HK. I have used a 21K in a Soakfest and it is more useful than one would think. It keeps people from charging you up close due to them not wanting to be hit by the concentrated shot. But if you want to soak someone with it, you'll be standing there all day shooting. :laugh:

Edited By Duxburian on 1138315607

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:15 pm

What I'm curious is whether there is a simple, non-expensive way to determine who won in a general soakfest. Well, perhaps not a soakfest since a successful soakfest should have EVERYONE drenched at the end of it (when I have soakfests with my friends, whoever is driest in the end usually finds themselves completely ganged up against by the rest of the group to *equalize* things :goofy: ). However, if not doing 1HK games, but not wanting a total all-out soakfest, what game would be a good intermediate?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:26 pm

Yeah, I usually end up running late in a soakfest, since everyone conveniently notices how dry I tend to be...

Soakfests aren't that great for team scoring, hence we usually have them for fun after the main battle on hot days. People often estimate victory by how wet each team is overall, but that doesn't work well if some members are soaked and some are dry.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:44 pm

For most battles I do, I win prettily easily due to the lack of skill my freinds have. They try to run, just to run into a well timed shot from my gun. :cool:
They really need to learn to time streams. If you keep moving you never get hit! :goofy:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:54 pm

m15399 wrote:For most battles I do, I win prettily easily due to the lack of skill my freinds have. They try to run, just to run into a well timed shot from my gun. :cool:
They really need to learn to time streams. If you keep moving you never get hit! :goofy:
Are you serious? How hard is it to time your stream? I did that on the first gun I owned! Are you sure you aren't stretching things a bit? Either that or your friends need some serious practice. ???

"snap!"