Shotgun home made - is it possable?

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:06 am

Is it possable to make a home made water shotgun? i know it'll be less then practical on the water battlefield, I was just wondering.

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1125339629
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:46 am

Yes, in fact, most homemade water guns have a shotgun/riotblast type feature far more powerful than any other water gun's.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:19 pm

But the shotgun/riot blast on home mades is more of a big unlamiar stream instead of a big burst like i would see on my 4100 with the nozzle selecter off.
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Big burst = poorly laminated stream usually

The riotblast on my first APH is way better than any "shotgun blast" I have tried on several water guns (such as CPS 2700, Monster, XP 150). It's far bigger and far wider. I usually use it to drench groups of people due to the actual amount of water involved.

Whoever is getting a stream from a 3/4" or larger nozzle should really be avoided also. That would take a very dangerous amount of pressure to create.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:09 pm

Well of course a homemade riot blast is more unorganized, it has to push out a ton more water! A 4100 with no nozzles on it provides 20x output. I calculated my dual chamber APH riot at ~60x, which means the water comes out in a giant lump. Although when I shot my 4100 with the selector off, it produced a similar large and unorderly stream instead of the "burst" you're talking about.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:29 pm

Ok I know this is unlikey but, can I make something thats like a real shotgun? Could I do it with a small PC, large pump volume, and a riot blast nozzle? And will it be at least a bit practical on the field?

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1125354654

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:14 pm

My APR 1000 homemade is kinda like that. 4 pumps to fill the pc, has a large riot blast.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:23 pm

can i see a pic?

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:40 pm

Just a word of warning, don't try using it in a war unless everyone agrees, otherwise you could get sued...Those things can hit hard...
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:09 pm

can i see a pic?

I haven't got any at the moment, but I could take a few tomorrow and post them here.

Just a word of warning, don't try using it in a war unless everyone agrees, otherwise you could get sued...Those things can hit hard...

A homemade stream, even a homemade riot blast, hits with the same impact force as a normal stock stream. Only modded and integration modded guns shoot a stream with harder impact and it travels twice as fast. When I use those guns, I have to be careful with my aim, avoiding any head shots and limiting the amount of point blank shots I take. Homemades are actually safer than modded guns for this reason, and in our wars anything capable of shooting or launching water is allowed. Plus, the APR 1000 is a little larger than a CPS 2100, the smallest and most compact homemade I've ever seen.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:25 pm

Ok, I think I can start this project now. Money shouldn't be a problem since my Army cadet corp hands out surplus money. ok here's what I think should be needed: Small PC, large pump volume, and a tracked pump? Maybe a trigger system?

i need tips from guys like you.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Sounds just like an APR 1000 kind of gun. Like I said earlier, the pump fills the pc in a mere 4 pumps. The 1000 also has a tracked pump, fast metal ball valve, and was designed specifically for battle use. If you must have a pic, I'll be right back, and it'll take about 5 minutes to import, compress, and upload the image.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:36 pm

Try a Ball Valve. I don't think anyone has found an easy way to make a trigger system yet...A tracked pump would be a good idea, but may be hard to make. The small PC and Large Pump are good ideas though :P

Edit: Wow, 1 second after you :P
I rather dislike homemades, mainly because the Ball Valve is not a trigger. Maybe I could come up with a decent trigger system...although I HAVE already been working one out...we'll have to see. I think I'll try to make a CPS-type cannon one of these days...I've already got it planned out, just gotta take a trip to the hardware store, and find some money :)

Edited By Magnor on 1125369555
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:55 pm

A trigger system for homemades has been designed here: Homemade Trigger System

And here are the pics I promised:

APR 1000

The pc and ball valve

The pump pieces-screw, handle, inner pump. Excuse the condition of my wooden dowel, it is actually rotten from being in the pump too long.

The reservoir and screw-off cap.

The whole gun is about the size of a CPS 1200, and uses 3/4" and 2" pvc.

Edited By Duxburian on 1125370693

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Much better than my idea :) I guess I just have to design a good CPS model that looks good and works well. Lets see...4 CPS Chambers...or 6? As soon as I can get down to Lowes and Walmart, I'll have the design and product finished in my head. A little paint, and it should look great. Bike Inner tubes for a mod, then even more for a homemade...wow this is getting costly...I guess its time to get an after school job (I wish I could find one...maybe fixing broken soakers or something for like five dollars, now that'd be awesome...hehehe.)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:06 pm

The homemade pictured above cost me $21 to make. Less than buying a Flash Flood. Check SSCentral for CPS homemade designs to get you started. Don't use innertubes, order latex rubber tubing from [I think it's mcmaster.com]. Much better material than innertubes. And good luck with this, too. :cool:

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:55 am

Whoa! That design is extremely close to what I had in mind. Too bad I can't post pics :(, I got 2 pages full of concepts. What does APR mean?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:32 am

Too bad I can't post pics

If you want pics hosted, you can email them to me and I'll push them onto the server and PM you with the image location.

APR = Air Pressure Reservoir? I'm guessing. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:24 am

APR stands for air pressure revolution. Look here.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:48 am

Duxburian wrote:The homemade pictured above cost me $21 to make. Less than buying a Flash Flood. Check SSCentral for CPS homemade designs to get you started. Don't use innertubes, order latex rubber tubing from [I think it's mcmaster.com]. Much better material than innertubes. And good luck with this, too. :cool:
I can't seem to find any CPS homemades on SScentral. And latex tubing seems a bit expensive...Maybe I'll find something even better on my next trip to Lowes.

Lol, maybe 50 or so 9 or 12 in balloons with a bit of inner tube supporting them...it could work, but then again, it could bust in my face... :oo: