Countering a charge - What's the best method?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:11 pm

I've been wondering for a while now what the best decision to make is when one or more enemy troops charge at you. The bold, ferocious appearance of the enemy charging at you in full force will make most run for cover. But I've been wondering whether this is really the best thing to do. A good counter could be to stand your ground and appear strong and fearless, and fire at them with full force. This should give you added accuracy over your opponent. This could even scare your enemy who is charging at you away. Another counter could be to break your forces into two halves and split in two different directions, both confusing the enemy and having more directions to fire at them from. But what really is the best counter to a charge?

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:47 pm

The strange conception that many (including me) have is that water warfare is very much like real warfare. most people don't run for cover when the enemy charges in a water war because they know water is harmless. In real war, soldiers run for cover because real weapons are coming their way. So for a water war, the best way to counter a charge (at least in a one-hit elimination game) is to simply aim your soaker at your enemies. This causes them to scatter to find cover, since they don't want to risk being hit from your streams. In a free-for-all, they'll just keep on coming unless the water in your streams is simply overwhelming (think multiple 10-20X streams).
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

CPS

Post by CPS » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:50 pm

when thy charge at you with a large weapon wait until the last second until there 1 or two metres away then run forwardslightly to the left or right, they will try to turn quickly, but while running fast most will not be able to turn around fast enough then you can shoot them in the back, if your lucky enough then they will slip over then you can shoot them and/or run away, it is a good tactic exept on concrete they could get hurt
here, you know you've won when you hear "blub blub ahhh! i give up"

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:43 am

The best way to counter a charge is a quick shot to either the neck or the third eye with your highest power nozzle. That really slows them down.

Alternatively, you can just do a mass firing (if you've got more than just a few people on your team) and try and drive them back that way.

Adrian

EDIT:I just want to emphasize that the first tactic I posted is still all in good fun. The fact is, quick shots to those areas disorient and momentarily pause the target. I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea from what I said, that's all. I know (from first hand experience) that it's best to keep water fights fun and non-violent.

Edited By Adrian on 1089560741
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:23 pm

Falcon wrote:I've been wondering for a while now what the best decision to make is when one or more enemy troops charge at you. The bold, ferocious appearance of the enemy charging at you in full force will make most run for cover. But I've been wondering whether this is really the best thing to do. A good counter could be to stand your ground and appear strong and fearless, and fire at them with full force. This should give you added accuracy over your opponent. This could even scare your enemy who is charging at you away. Another counter could be to break your forces into two halves and split in two different directions, both confusing the enemy and having more directions to fire at them from. But what really is the best counter to a charge?
The best defense is to have a darn blaster shield. :goofy:

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:06 pm

Veteran wrote:The best defense is to have a darn blaster shield. :goofy:
Which Mattel and their SheidBlaster series tried to do but failed at. Sheids should be seperate from the your main weapon unless it's large enough to cover most of your body.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:46 pm

Like the kind I use.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:24 pm

Veteran wrote:Like the kind I use.
What material did you make your sheid out of or did you take is off of something, such as a garbage can or one of those plastic containers? Is it rectangular, an oval, or circular? With these details, I might make a sheid of my own someday.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:32 pm

I've also made a shield. Mine is made out of a rectangular sheet of cardboard with some rope handles to hold on to. I covered it in clear contact so it doesn't go weak and floppy when it's wet. :goofy:

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:58 pm

A fan blast works well against multiple enemies, but if it's just one enemy, a 10-20x stream, or you could just launch a counter charge while shouting Klingon battle cries and swinging a bat'leth :goofy:

Edited By cooldood31 on 1089590362

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:39 pm

Field Marshal Yang wrote:

What material did you make your sheid out of or did you take is off of something, such as a garbage can or one of those plastic containers? Is it rectangular, an oval, or circular? With these details, I might make a sheid of my own someday.

I wrote an article on it if you want to know how I made it.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:16 pm

Veteran wrote:

Now's that something I'd like to make for myself. I especially like how the strap can be slid into one's arm to make both hands available for holding soakers. I'd call it my summer project but after this week I'll be gone for the rest of the summer. I guess it will be my fall project if I ever get to do soaking in the fall.

Commander Roo

Post by Commander Roo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:19 pm

If you stand your ground, the charge wont work, because a charge is designed to scare the other side away. If you dont get scared and scatter, then the charge is ineffective.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:35 pm

Veteran wrote:

Now's that something I'd like to make for myself. I especially like how the strap can be slid into one's arm to make both hands available for holding soakers. I'd call it my summer project but after this week I'll be gone for the rest of the summer. I guess it will be my fall project if I ever get to do soaking in the fall.

I find the shield that attaches to the blaster, no straps required.

Edited By Veteran on 1089664883

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:55 pm

The strange conception that many (including me) have is that water warfare is very much like real warfare. most people don't run for cover when the enemy charges in a water war because they know water is harmless.

Yes, that's true for some people. I hate it when stupid kids run in to the crossfire in the middle of a battle wearing nothing but speedos and armed with only a water balloon in each hand, and don't have a care in the world whether or not they get wet. It's people like these that ruin a water war, because you can blast them with multiple blasts from 10 different CPS blasters, and the water will just run off their skin and they'll go and get another two water bombs. This is how I see a water war:

Your No.1 Priority should be to keep yourself dry, and do every thing you can to evade, block or avoid open fire from the enemy.

Your Second priority should be to soak the enemy as much as possible, and to co-ordinate your team so you soak to your maximum capability.

So in other words, I put my personal dryness before the enemy's.
:cps2000:

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:01 pm

That 3200 shield is pretty cool, Veteran. Can it repell water balloons?

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:52 pm

Exodus wrote:That 3200 shield is pretty cool, Veteran. Can it repell water balloons?
I think that would depend on the strength of the person throwing the water balloon and the strength of Veteran to hold back an incoming projectile. The sheid itself won't easily break because there is a strong plastic layer inside the carboard.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:12 pm

I've had people use the water balloon slingshot and I can hold it back pretty well. (BTW plastic cardboard is entirely plastic, its just uses the same concept as cardboard, two thin sheets of plastic with plastic wafer inside)

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:15 pm

I'm kind of curious as to how effective that CPS 3200 shield can be in battle. It's already rather cumbersome-looking. How heavy is it? Doesn't hamper your vision at all?

If only we had transparent aluminum. Commander Scott, where are you now? :goofy:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:22 pm

Its about as heavy as cardboard and I created a viewslit covered by thin transparent plastic. You can see pretty well, and if you have goggles you can just use it to block your body.