Versions/Marks - A little assistance requested

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 25, 2005 10:29 pm

Ok, as many of you know, through the years, soakers have evolved. Some got better. Some got worse. However, things have defnitely changed.

When a soaker with the same name given showed a noticable different in terms of performance, durability, or even just colouring, it was given a 'Mark' class (i.e. original soakers became denoted as Mark 1 with 2, 3, etc. used to denote newer versions). Admittedly, I don't like the 'Mark' term, but it seems to have stuck for one reason or another. :goofy: Guess it's simpler than talking about version as some variants appeared on store shelves almost at the same time.

I'd like to compile a listing of soakers with known variants and add in information on the appropriate review pages on iSoaker.com detailing known versions. Granted, it's gotten a lot more complicated these days since there are all these different colorways for soakers. However, we'll try to compile things and fill in more as more info is brought up.

Note: Soakers that got renamed though being pretty much the same as an old model are not included (i.e. the CPS 1700 vs CPS 1500 or the XP 300 vs the SS 300). Left vs Right-handed versions are also not noted. Also, different country versions are not fully noted either, but can be to some extent.

Off the top of my head:

XP 270 - 3 versions: original (yellow with green tank), grey with bluish tank and black with bluish tank
XP 220 - 5 versions: original, 4 black body soakers with varying colour highlights (need to dig up more specifics)
XP 215 - 2 versions: original and opaque-coloured one
XP 150 - 3 versions?: original, 2nd type, classic-released one
XP 75 - 3 versions (maybe 4?): original, improved version with better designed reservoir attachment, classic-rerelease
XP70 - yellow body with blue tanks, blue body with green tanks

Helix - 2 versions: original and McDonald's-like coloured one

Max-D 2000: 3 versions: original, dual pack, Toy Story model
Max-D 3000: 3 versions: original, dual pack
Max-D Secret Strike - 2 versions: grey with red tanks, grey with blue tanks

CPS1200 - 2 versions: original and silver version
CPS1500 - 2 versions (maybe 3): original, 2nd with modified pump handle,and perhaps one more that I'm recalling only vaguely
CPS2000 - 2 versions: original with 1L PC and 2nd with reduced capacity PC similar to CPS 2500
CPS2100 - 3 versions: original and 2 others (please fill in differences as I don't recall off the top of my head)
CPS2500 - 2 versions (maybe 3): original and one with slightly tweaked nozzles
CPS2700 - 2 versions: original and silver version
Monster X - 3 versions: original (called Monster), Monster X, and shortened Monster X with orange-front part
Monster XL - 3 versions (maybe 4): original, one version with smaller nozzles, and shortened form with stubby nozzle selectors
CPS4100 - 2 versions I think

Older Super Soakers:
SS 10 - 3 versions
SS 20- 2 versions: both of the molds and pumping methods themselves are different.
XP 15 - 2 versions
SS 30 - 2 versions: original and 'New and Improved'
SS 100 - 2 versions: original and 'New and Improved'
SS 50 - 3 versions: original, classic, 10th year anniversary

SC500 - grey with purple tanks (North America), purple with green tanks (Europe)
SC600 - grey body with orange tanks (North America), blue body with orange tanks (Europe)

Water Warriors:
Piranha - 2 versions: original and expanded nozzles (2005)
Blazer - 2 versions: original and expanded nozzles+fan (2005)
Hornet - 2 versions: colouring difference

I know I'm forgetting others. If you know of one or more I missed or can add in more info, please post below. I'd like to make things as complete as possible. I'll be adding in more as I dig through my own notes and pics.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed May 25, 2005 11:47 pm

CPS 2100 marks:

MK1 is fairly hard to open up and has a slight edge in range.

MK2 is much harder to open. It has a fake nozzle head and the pump cap is glued on. Range is less than the MK1 but is strangely more powerful when modded.

MK3 is the easiest to open and is probably the "Weakest" of the three marks.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Thu May 26, 2005 1:13 am

Yeah, these variations are incredibly scary. I'm hesitant to begin getting into them. It's worse (better) this year because there are so many rereleases. There are four new colorations for some old blasters this year. I might go as far as to say almost all Super Soakers have more than one version. ISoaker's list there is just scratching the surface.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Thu May 26, 2005 4:52 am

I think there is another version of the XP 270. It is red and has blue tanks. I saw it on a eBay auction once new in box. Also there is an XP 70 in a colour that I have never seen before so this could mean another version. Here it is.

XP 70

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:56 am

SS 20- 2 versions: both of the molds and pumping menthods themselves are different.

SS300- 2 versions: 1993 original and XP300 recolour.

I think there is another version of the XP 270. It is red and has blue tanks. I saw it on a eBay auction once new in box. Also there is an XP 70 in a colour that I have never seen before so this could mean another version. Here it is.

XP 70.

isoaker, I think it should be also mentioned that colours differentiate among different continents, which does not mean that they are completly different marks alltogether in some cases. Or are they? Definitions are abit in the grey zone. Personaly, I think marks are just more psycological than performance whise in difference. For example, the german "New and Improved SS100" is still blue-yellow, while the US one is orange-green. Can it really be called a different mark if the factory on a different continent decides to mix different colours into the plastic molds?

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1117101966
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu May 26, 2005 5:33 am

To take the example of the "European" SC 600, with the blue-and-orange colouring, the item number is different to the standard grey-and-orange. Performance-wise, I've noticed a range advantage with the European version.
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 26, 2005 6:13 am

When it comes to marks/versions, I'm not sure I'd want to delve too deep into performance apart from really noticable differences like in the reduction of the PC on the CPS2000 or the shortening of nozzles on the Monster X and Monster XL.

Some say different 'Marks', i.e. for the CPS2100, actually also refer to a general variation in performance between them, but unless someone has tested the variation, I wouldn't really want to note that.

Perhaps the various 'Colorways' or gross design changes can be listed separately from the more subtle changes as seen in some soakers. Oh, and I am fully aware colours vary between continents. The grey zone with how this stuff is defined admittedly is there, but seems to have always been there. Part of the point of listing things more is to try and make better sense and perhaps come up with a better system for recognizing and/or recording exactly what make you may actually possess (or what to look for if shopping on eBay for an older soaker and the seller says one thing, but some images and questioning him/her begins to reveal another).

Proposal: variations would be listed by varying colour/designs first followed by 'Marks' (if applicable) for subtle external variations, but perhaps notable internal changes made.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 am

To take the example of the "European" SC 600, with the blue-and-orange colouring, the item number is different to the standard grey-and-orange. Performance-wise, I've noticed a range advantage with the European version.

Yeah, and there is also a Orange and dark blue mark as well, It doesn't seem to be as good as other SC-600's
ImageImage

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Thu May 26, 2005 12:41 pm

There is also a European version of the SC 500 which is purple with green tanks.

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 26, 2005 3:20 pm

Some say different 'Marks', i.e. for the CPS2100, actually also refer to a general variation in performance between them, but unless someone has tested the variation, I wouldn't really want to note that.

Each 2100 mark is consistant and different, but the variations are most noticeable when the gun is modded. There are also internal differences, like the MK1 pc being larger than the others and the Mk2 trigger being almost the same size as a CPS 4100's. The main external differences are whether or not the pump cap is glued and if the cast seal on the back of the reservoir is a small seam or has square ridges.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 26, 2005 5:41 pm

^ thanks for the clarification on your findings with the CPS2100.

As for this whole thing, while I'm pretty sure we won't be able to make note of every variation out there, if we get a good proportion, it's already a step up (info-wise) from where we stand currently.

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:54 am

I'm sure some people are aware of this, here's a "brand new" XP 70 you can get at Sears:

Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

aphemushroom

Post by aphemushroom » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:40 pm

Hmmm...it just doesn't look right. What's with the green?
Just be a mushroom. Not a duck, not a chicken, not anything. Just a mushroom. You are still reading this right?

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:38 am

Green is more military-ishness ;P It's really odd how a soaker from the extinct XP series, suddenly pop up!! It's just really weird!!:O
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:28 pm

I've added and modified the original listing I posted thanks to the input of members so far. However, I know there are more and want to build this listing up more. Know of differences on the same named soaker (colours and/or styling), please check the current listing and if it's not there, please post in what you know! Thanks!

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:35 pm

I have a quick question about the sc 600. Is there any differences performance wise from the black handled sc 600 to the light grey handled sc 600. Both have tan and orange color schemes.

Edited By Crashdummy on 1123619785

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:19 pm

The black handled SC 600 was less powerful since these were the first released versions which had air pressure in them I think. The grey handled ones were more powerful and used CPS tech if I recall right.

Anyway, I think there may be more than one version of the CPS 1000 from my experiences of using them. The first one I had the nozzle piece was glued. If I am right, then I have owned at one time all three Mk's. Here is what I think:

CPS 1000 Mk1 - The one I've got now. 1998 release. Nozzle piece could be screwed off. Shot far and was powerful with large output. Easiest and powerful for modding.

CPS 1000 Mk2 - Later 1998 release. Nozzle piece could still be screwed off. Was less powerful, had less range and had less output too (the nozzle was made a little bit smaller). The trigger was also that little bit harder to pull. The worst version for modding. Can just get about 3 feet more range modded with 30 balloons than the Mk1 and 3.

CPS 1000 Mk3 - Had the nozzle piece glued on. Had more power, output and range than the Mk2. Range is about the same perhaps a little bit more than the Mk1. Output was about the same as the Mk1 but it feels a bit more powerful than the Mk1. Hardest to open up to mod due to the glued on nozzle piece, but probably the best.

These are just my thoughts, but I am pretty sure from my experiences that this may be true. :)

:cps1000:

Edited By Wild Boys on 1123622504

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Great observation on the Cps 1000. :) Air pressure sc 600? That sounds strange, all of the others are cps tech. I think you may be wrong, they don't make THAT big of a change in a soaker and call it the same thing... or so I hope. I thought the black handled one was weaker because I read it somewhere in some other forum. The reason I want to know is because there is one on ebay that I might buy.

Link --> http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-S....iewItem

From looking at the pic it seems like cps tech as seems to have the pressure gauge/end cap of a cps bladder in it's opaque pc.
???

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:49 am

Thanks. Hmmm, perhaps I am wrong about the air pressure, but I heard that the black handled SC 600 was less powerful than the grey handled SC 600. There was also a blue and red SC 600 which performed basically the same as the grey handled SC 600 but I think with a tiny bit more range.

Hope you get that SC 600 if you want it.

Edited By Wild Boys on 1123667511

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am

Uh.. I don't believe any SC600 was ever air-pressured. The SC400 is, but not the SC500 or SC600.
Interesting notes on the CPS1000, though.