SpyraThree released

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
James G.

SpyraThree released

Post by James G. » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:26 am

This apparently just happened yesterday, so I guess I'm on the cutting edge.

The official page does an imperfect job explaining the difference between this and the Two. Fortunately, their Linkedin announcement helped me to piece it together.

Apparently the blaster has something that controls the "game mode", which influences the weapon's electronically-controlled firing characteristics. (In other words, "game modes", functionally, are analogous to nozzles in traditional blasters.) The options are:
Spyra LinkedIn Press Release wrote:
🏆 League Mode

This is our official SPYRA tournament mode you know from the beginning. Your rate of fire is restricted to add some strategic depth. But keep the trigger pulled to release a PowerShot for superior range & impact.

🚀 Open Mode

Just fire away as you like. Every time you pull the trigger, a powerful water blast will be released. No restrictions from our game designers, no restrictions on the playing field.

💥 Burst Mode

Fire 3 superfast, consecutive, ultra-powerful water blasts every time you pull the trigger. But be aware, your tank will be depleted insanely fast.
_______

I mentioned in the previous topic about the Spyra LX that the LX could have a higher rate of fire than the Two. This wording of this release seems to imply the Two's deficiency was because of software, not hardware. "Open" mode presumably is intended to take the gloves off and keep their flagship blaster on top in cross-blaster matches.

On performance, 'powerful' is not much of a description. It would be interesting to know how all of the different shot types compare and what their characteristics are, but presently it sounds as though you have at least three to choose from. I would assume that the default shot in "open" and "league" are the same, but that remains to be proven.

They seem to be running out of things they can do when it comes to actual features, besides continued incremental upgrades (making things lighter, more efficient, more durable, etc). The two things that come to mind that water blaster fans might like to see are a 'beam' mode (instead of the water bursts), and a means of refilling it without having to dip it into a container (which might also facilitate backpacks, etc). These both seem unlikely, though.

SSCBen

Re: SpyraThree released

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 pm

You're right, the SpyraThree doesn't seem like much of an upgrade based on currently available information.

I myself would like to see a CPS style blaster more like the classic Super Soaker CPS series (more capacity, no electronics, nozzle selector). It doesn't seem that Spyra is too interested in going that route. The LX is closer with its manual pump, but the LX's pump is in a bad location. Pumping and firing in rapid succession isn't possible for the LX.

There's still room to improve the performance as well. I don't know how the strength of the bladder in Spyra's blasters compares against previous blasters. People have talked about optimizing the nozzle diameter to maximize range for a long time as well and it's not clear to me that Spyra is doing that.