Spyra One review

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
CDMT

Spyra One review

Post by CDMT » Wed May 05, 2021 5:23 am

Nozzle diameter~ 5.5mm or ~ 7/32"

Range level
Regular Shot: 30'. Last drop 33' 3"

Power Shot: 37'. Last drop 41' 5"

Range 45°
Regular Shot: 42' 5" Last drop 46' 9"

Power Shot: 48' . Last Drop: 53' 4"

The Spyra is designed for more deliberate well placed shots and tactical nerflike play. It emphasizes water conservation over soaking. It outranges many contemporary water guns firing powerful CPS micro tap shots (ie high impulse but small bursts of water). It is best used as a light sniper and needs supporting water guns to prevent from being overrun. This is due to low field life (25-26 normal shots) and a low rate of fire (1.5 second gap between 3 quick successive shots). Positively , it requires no pumping as an electric pump sourced from Audi's headlight washers is used to fill a CPS bladder. Flow straightening is accomplished through a gentle s-curve bend of an elongated feeding syringe like shape from bladder to nozzle. The nozzle valve is operated by a powerful solenoid that moves a rod terminating in a q-tip shaped rubber tip. The q-tip shape seals against a 5.5mm straight nozzle opening. When the trigger is pulled the heavy solenoid slams the q-tip shape back with a nail gun like report with enough force to have mild felt recoil. You can shoot 3 quick bursts and then have to wait 1.5 seconds before firing again. Unlike other pressurized water guns holding the trigger down fires a single burst shot instead of a long stream. If the trigger stays depressed above 30 percent water left, the gun will charge up to a more powerful Power Shot that is fired when the trigger is released. While charging up to a Power Shot it makes a very audible sound letting everyone know that you are prepping for a Power Shot. This gives them a few seconds to take cover or back away. So using the power shot effectively can be tricky at times. Overall the gun is a lot of fun and has no trouble dominating the light triggerless water guns of today and first generation super soakers and most xp super soakers. But against an XP 150 and most CPS water guns (minus ie the Gargantua) it is outclassed due to the same qualities that allow it to be so mobile (small on-board water capacity and a low fire rate). For tactical nerflike battles for which it was designed it's incredibly fun but for out and out soakfests it's like bringing a slow firing semiautomatic pistol carbine to a battle where everyone else has full auto submachine guns. It's great for having a much more level playing field, if everybody playing has one due to the fact that pumping is automatic and the gun is light. Unfortunately due to a much higher than normal cost due to the parts used, the likelihood of the everyone fielding one is low. Spyra customer service has been awesome. When my blue ones bladder exploded after heavy use they replaced it for free after sending them a video showing water flowing out every orifice of the gun. The new one was quickly sent out and saved me the hassle of sending the old one back. All in all my wife and I love the Spyras and I use our pair regularly with my wife in water fights in our yard. They are a lot of fun.

jubiladoatope

Re: Spyra One review

Post by jubiladoatope » Wed May 05, 2021 12:32 pm

Gets outclassed by a chinese poorly made watergun viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7278&p=64910#p64908
Nothing personal kid.
Jokes aside, looks like a great one and Im happy decent waterguns are being made again.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am

My man comin' through! Thanks for the review. That's actually a lot more powerful than I thought. So it's essentially a gun with true CPS power, but handicapped. That kinda sucks 'cause if they had just gone with a normal design, not only would it be more practical, it also would have been a lot cheaper.

That being said, it definitely seems to be the best modern blaster available, especially since BBT seems to have gone the way of Hasbro. And in the future it may be one of the only stock options for hardcore water warriors. Not sure how much longer '90s blasters will be usable in combat, at least without upgrading the internals. I saw the topic with the Chinese guns, but I think I'd trust those even less than a 30-year-old Super Soaker, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

CDMT

Post by CDMT » Sat May 08, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks I appreciate it Seal. I hope at some point they make a Spyra water machine gun because the current gun could fiire significantly faster.

Here's another review by Out of Darts that shows that they can be used aggressively despite their limitations.
https://youtu.be/7brBt_TVqoA

CDMT

Post by CDMT » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:47 pm

If anyone buys a Spyra water gun I would recommend stressing to anyone you let use the water gun being at least 20 feet away before shooting it at someone.  Or wearing ski goggles with the strap over the ears. I had already told my wife to be careful to not shoot anyone in  the head with any of the more powerful water guns we own. Unfortunately her aim is lousy. I was engaging another player as I ran past her. My wife accidentally shot me in the head as I ran past at about 6-10 feet away puncturing my eardrum.  We love playing with them but just be careful with them as they fire a powerful focused stream.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury CDMT. I had a bad ear infection perforate one of my eardrums over a decade ago, so I can sympathize.

I hadn't heard about water guns hurting ears before, but it makes sense. Water can go places other projectiles can't.

I might recommend what are called "bandless earmuffs" as that should give a lot better coverage over the ear.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Here's another case of a ruptured ear drum from a Spyra: https://www.reddit.com/r/supersoaker/co ... th_spyras/

I thought what CDMT posted was just an isolated incident, but now I'm not so sure.