What Gimmicks Did You Actually Like?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
mr. dude

What Gimmicks Did You Actually Like?

Post by mr. dude » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I'll be honest, I loved the Hydroblade and Helix! I've handled them, I've shot them, to this day I think they're some of the most fun blasters I've used. Another one, though I never got to shoot it, is the Triple Aggressor's tiny pistol, that I started thinking about building a homemade version of (I like pistols, even dollar store ones). There's also the Splat Blaster, it's just so stupid and great, it shoots a glob of water like 20' if you're lucky, but with great spread and 1 pump per shot.

Hydroblade is basically a 3D fan blast, it gets you and everyone around you, and that's a recipe for success. Helix can drench someone in one pump, and the stream is very aesthetically pleasing. Triple Aggressor's pistol is a CPS squirt pistol, it uses the same kind of LRT you find at Home Depot, and honestly it's adorable. Splat Blaster, well, everything about it is hilarious.

Not sure about battle practicality for any of these, but the gimmicks have definitely won me over.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: What Gimmicks Did You Actually Like?

Post by marauder » Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm

The XP 90 pulse fire was pretty fun. I messed around with a lot of the spray nozzle settings on various blasters too.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 pm

I've never shot an XP 90, but the EES Turbine has a pulse setting and yeah, somehow it's more satisfying to have your gun do the pulsing!

What kind of spray nozzles? I've been thinking of a shotgun type of blast that can cover multiple targets, without being as soothing as a fan blast, and could definitely use ideas.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 am

The Flash Flood and Arctic Blast with the separate regular nozzle and big blast. Just putting my hand on the top trigger was enough to get people running away. It's a shame my AB broke.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon May 25, 2020 10:42 am

Hey, welcome back cantab! It's been a long time. I remember you giving me advice on building my first homemade like ten years ago.

As far as gimmicks go, I agree that the FF/AB were fun as hell. They could be pretty decent in close-quarters too. I always thought the "shower" nozzle setting on the Monsters was cool as well, though that did not have much use in battle. Spray nozzles like BBT's quad burst actually did see some use in wars due to better spread, but unlike the shower nozzles, the quad bursts actually had range. But I still think the shower settings were cooler. I also liked the Water Ball guns, which are rare and not really usable at all, but being able to shoot a perfect sphere of water is kinda neat.

My brother has a Triple Aggressor. I agree that it's pretty cool, and I even made a concept blaster that used similar gimmicks but was actually battle practical. CPS instead of PR, a stronger mini-pistol, and a water balloon filler instead of that dumb soaker ball thing. The Triple Aggressor is actually a pretty large gun, like 2100-sized, but the pressurized reservoir really limits it. No idea why they made it that way considering its size. Then a couple years later they made the Defender which looks like it should be PR but isn't, haha. If there's one consistent thing about Hasbro, it's that they're inconsistent. That, and nearly all their stuff is garbage.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

It has been a long time indeed. I was reminded of here when I was doing some tidying and ran across a couple of my arsenal. Not sure where the rest are.