Hands-On: Aqua Shock Sneak Attack - @ iSoaker.com

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
martianshark

Re: Hands-On: Aqua Shock Sneak Attack - @ iSoaker.com

Post by martianshark » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:37 pm

I do think that the Sneak Attack is probably the best piston blaster. Streams are pretty thick, and I guess the nozzle settings are sort of useful. I think piston guns are underrated - they are pretty awesome in soakfests.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:35 pm

You only think they're underrated because me and M4 hate them. =p If you can come to the community war, you'll see why.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't think piston based blasters are useless. I bough
  • t a Vaporizer for $4.74 and it was really fun for the price. It is also durable and you can hand it out to people who don't have guns. The Shot Blast feels great, seems durable, and is fun to use.

The thing is though, range matters, and accuracy matters. What's the farthest these guns can shoot? 10 meters? Maybe 35 feet? I can list 10 non piston based water guns (yes, even including a gun released this year) that shoot further than that.

Now, on to the issue of accuracy. Piston based guns are less accurate for several reasons.
    1) You move the gun when you pump, even if it's a little bit.
    2) It's more difficult to aim at moving targets.
    3) It's quicker to squeeze a trigger than it is to pump/shoot.

As for the claim that piston based blasters don't require pumping. Yes they do. In fact, you have to pump every single time you shoot. Granted, that still is an advantage over some blasters, but not all. The XP 270 puts out about 1.2 oz/sec and pumps almost the same amount. When you have an XP 270 (or similar gun) prepumped, you can keep pumping and holding down the trigger and the gun will fire for a solid ~20 seconds without losing much range. This is superior to piston based blasters who can only shoot in bursts with 0.5 - 1 second lag time in between.

With that being said, we all have our own preferences. I have never lost a battle with my 2000 and don't like the 2500. On the other hand, CA99 is very good with the 2500 and does not care so much for the 2000. Perhaps Bopper and Martianshark have developed some, as of yet, unorthodox tactics that make the Sneak Attack deadly. I'd like to find out first hand.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:43 pm

I mainly use pistons for backup, since there is almost always a shot ready to go. I would never use them as primaries, but the fact that they have a lot of shots per tank, and can be ready to fire in .5 seconds makes them quite good for backup.
Small pistols can have a shot ready at any moment, but keeping things pressurized for a long time seems stupid.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 pm

I'd rather keep a Max-D pressurized for an hour, but even then, the time it takes to power up a fully loaded PR is not much longer than the time it takes to power up a Shot Blast. Piston blasters also tend to be larger; they need length for the pump to operate so they won't fit in the same profile as standard sidearms do.

Perhaps I overstepped in calling them useless though. They're great for arming zombies in my Infection-based games. =)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat